Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

If the の is part of the relative clause, then it won’t work. If the の is attaching a noun to a separate relative clause it could. But in our example the の was part of the relative clause.

Okay, the form using こと was just what I found as the featured answer here:

Would
日本語の勉強をするのが好きです
and 日本語を勉強するのが好きです
be any different in nuance, or is the meaning the same?

I wonder if the former might put emphasis that Japanese is the thing you like studying. :thinking:
Pure speculation by the way. I’m curious to know if there is actually any nuance as well.

2 Likes

Hello world:)

I am new a new student to the world of Japanese and wanikani so forgive me if im not using this thread correctly. However, i do have a short grammatical question if someone can help me out.

What is the difference in meaning between 女の子 and 女子? From the wanikani lesson page they both mean girl but Im not too familiar with the use of の yet so was hoping someone could help me understand:)

thanks!

2 Likes

I made a thread about all the girl word options (though it’s not locked from not having recent posts)

If you still have more questions, feel free to continue to ask in this thread.

For now you don’t need to worry about how to use this grammatically, just think of it as one whole word, but that kind of の is called an appositive の.

4 Likes

From Genki Ch 8 Workbook:

日本語のクラスについてどう思いますか。

I understand that this sentence is supposed to mean “What do you think of Japanese class?” but I’m not sure what this middle part is:

日本語のクラスについてどう思いますか。

Is this two words? One? Why does it mean “what” in this case?

1 Like

について means “about” here. どう is “how” so it’s literally “how do you think” for どう思いますか. But we don’t really say it that way, we say “what do you think.”

2 Likes

So I just learnt some ways of saying any and some in Japanese and how を, が and は are not used, but yes で, へ and に in Genki.

I have a question. If I wanted to say something like “I will not eat anywhere in this house”, how would it be?

1 この家どこでも食べないつもりです。

2 どここの家でも食べないつもりです。
Or maybe it requires more grammar I have yet to get to know?

この家(の中)でどこ(で)も食べないつもりです。

Or

この家はどこ(で)も食べないつもりです

1 Like

Thank you for the fast reply! I was messing it up when the answer was simpler than that!
Ah, I still have not learnt that. Thank you anyways!

But instead of つもり it would probably be more natural to say ようにしています。 I have decided to not eat anywhere in this house (and am acting accordingly).

2 Likes

Are both of these sentences grammatically correct? And do they have any different shade of meaning?

木が 、高い。
木は、高いです。

1 Like

The commas are unnecessary there.
The difference between は and が is rather complicated, there’s lots of articles and videos about it so I’d suggest looking to some of those to help you get started on it.

Correct, but commas not necessary. Also です is only there for politeness. You can add it it leave it off of both sentences without changing the meaning. As for shade of meaning:

Sounds more neutral. The tree is/trees are tall.

Using は here places emphasis on the subject. So this sounds like: Trees are/the tree is tall (as opposed to some other object, which will become clear from context.

5 Likes

So if the previous sentence was:

建物は短いです。

Then it would be better to use 木は高い instead of 木が 高い?

If you are trying to write a contrastive sentence, yes.

1 Like

You would then also probably link them together with が、けど or でも.

建物は低いですが、木は高いです。Note that if you use です or ーます in your first sentence, you should continue to do so in the rest of your sentences. Since that is the politeness level you decided on.

2 Likes

Do you mean it is the opposite of tall? That’s 低い, not 短い

5 Likes

Thanks, that sounded weird to me, but I guess I’m a bit tired, that I didn’t catch it!

2 Likes