Short Grammar Questions

Fun fact: Brooklyn 99 in Japanese is ブルックリン・ナイン-ナイン

1 Like

ありがとうございました!I appreciate the explanation a lot.

1 Like

Thanks! Haha, I appreciate it!

1 Like

BTW here’s a link to Tae Kim explaining this that was linked from the Bunpro lesson:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete/verb_clauses

1 Like

Also, maybe use 観る instead, which is the ‘to watch’ kanji you use for watching tv and other enjoyable things.

3 Likes

Yeah, just to be clear, many words have many different kanji that express slightly different nuances of various words. Another example is 会う (to meet), 逢う (to rendezvous), 遭う (to meet unexpectedly, to meet something unfortunate), 遇う (to meet repeatedly).

If you don’t know which kanji is the right one to express a specific nuance, you can always use one of the basic versions. You could also use hiragana. It’s not incorrect to use a more basic kanji, but it’s good to be aware of the various versions.

The suite of options for みる includes

見る - to look / watch / see generally
観る - to watch, to spectate
診る - to examine a patient
視る - to observe / examine
看る - to watch over / care for

It’s also important to be aware that not all of these are jouyou readings, even if they are jouyou kanji. For instance only 見る and 診る are taught in the jouyou curriculum. The other three are not, though most Japanese people know them. So you wouldn’t be tested on 観る until Kanken level pre-1 potentially, haha, even though it’s not that advanced I don’t think.

11 Likes

Yeah, I encountered that specific version of みる in glancing over the first volume of Hajime no Ippo a couple months back in reference to the students wanting to go watch movies. I was curious about the difference between 観る and 見る since the latter is what most beginner stuff seem to teach you to use for saying watch tv/movies. Your explanation helps and explains why I would have never seen it before.

2 Likes

Hi hi!
I’m not quite sure what does this mean
“先生の彼女ってさ”
Like… Sensei’s girlfriend? Or something totally different?
Thanks in advance!

Yep!

[って] can be used as a casual topic particle (equivalent of は) and then さ is a very casual way of indicating emphasis/assertion

5 Likes

先生が話し終わったのはきがついていなかったです。
I didn’t realize that the teacher was done talking.

I still don’t get the use of past progressive in Japanese. Why is it past progressive here instead of just past tense?

Because it was in reference to a continuous action in the past (the teacher talking)?

It’s no different than English where you could say:

Past: I ate at 4 o’clock yesterday.
Past progressive: At 4 o’clock yesterday, I was eating.

1 Like

Also maybe this link might help?

1 Like

Hopefully. I’m in the middle of my reviews, so I’ll take a look later. In the meanwhile, another question :sweat_smile:

彼女のことをみなおしました 。 (I saw her in a more positive light.)

Why is there a のこと here? Why not just 彼女を?

Referring to a person like that is very blunt and direct, and adding a layer between softens it and makes it less direct.

3 Likes

Relevant stackexchange thread:

8 Likes

:+1: Top notch answer. My mind is blown right now.

3 Likes

That’s such a great thread. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

It emphasises that it took her a while to realize the teacher was done talking

2 Likes

In the sentence 早くしろ, I know the しろ makes the sentence a command or an order, but I only know that because I listen to Japanese but haven’t learn anything about it.

can someone please point me to the grammar? I already searched for ~くしろ in google but came out empty handed

しろ is the imperative form of する. I imagine you’re okay on the adverb form of 早い?

Other verbs in imperative form would be stuff like

やめる > やめろ
はしる > はしれ

2 Likes