Short Grammar Questions (Part 2)

I stole it from a grammar page about the topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

変な風に顔を塗ったくられていたけど落としたらこうよ!!
(Context: someone had bad makeup but once it’s taken off she looks gorgeous)
What is 塗ったくられていた? I can’t find out. Seems 塗る+くられていた(from 来る I guess) but i’m not convinced by the fact that it’s not linked by a て form and 塗る is in its past tense instead. Also ichi.moe doesn’t translate it together

Side question, how is こう being used here (at the end)?

Its conjugated from 塗ったくる which is the same as 塗りたくる. It’s in passive + teiru in past tense.

Its like “this” or “like this”

… “but when you remove it (the make up), this (is the result)”

4 Likes

Ohhh got it, this one was tricky to find since it’s not present on the jisho website aswell as my app. Also google suggests to correct it to 塗りたくる and only half of the search results are about it and not the more common version.
Is it dialectal/archaic?
All clear thanks!

It’s not dialectical I think. It’s 促音便 probably, which you can Google and see a bunch of examples of if you want. I personally just learn the words as I see them and usually draw the connection.

4 Likes

Question on the meaning and use of なんですけど

“・” marks next speech column or bubble
A: いなくなった?
B: はい・あの…・善子・なんですけど・黄色い頭の […]

What is exactly なんですけど here? I have the sensation that it doesn’t mean anything in particular apart from something like “well, him, you know (the blonde guy)” but I’m not sure

Apologies for the romaji, but I’m not even sure of whether what I’m writing is correct - from time to time in various anime episodes I will hear what I think is a style of speaking that is mainly used for close friends or family members, where ‘chatta’ is substituted for (at least) ‘tta’, such as ‘ni nachatta’ which I think is a modification of ‘ni natta’.

What is that type of substitution called, and where would I find the ‘rules’ for using it?

2 Likes

It’s not a substitution necessarily, it’s the verb in て form followed by しまう in a sort of condensed form. There’s a few instances of things occurring like that in Japanese.

Heres an explanation of てしまう (and ちゃう by extension)

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/てしまう-te-shimau-ちゃう-meaning/

https://maggiesensei.com/2010/09/14/request-lesson-ちゃうちゃったchau-chatta/

7 Likes

It’s like “so about~”. You can think of it as a way of bringing something up.

4 Likes

Thanks - I will take a look…

1 Like

Or something like “the thing (about it) is…” more literally?

I’m not a fan of translations usually, but literal translations for this usage of なんだけど is especially problematic because we have neither an English equivalent for なん nor けど in this case. We can’t really use “but” when we bring up new topics in english unless we put it in front I feel like. Maybe someone with a better grasp of english than me could come up with something. Even the translation I gave is not all encompassing either. For example:

大事な話なんだけど、〇〇〇

I’m really saying 今から大事な話をするよ~ as a sort of preface

Im not saying “about the important story” or anything. When the thing your bringing up is something thats known to the speaker I think its fine to use the translation you gave though.

5 Likes

I get what you mean, all clear :ok_hand:

鬼殺隊である以上当然のほほんと地味に生きている一般人も守る

Anyone can tell me what is 以上 bere?
Is this an emphatic way of saying that someone is a (member of the) 鬼殺隊?
Like saying “Being not less than 鬼殺隊 […]”?
Or does it have another meaning or nuance?

N2 grammar - because, since, given that, as long as.

4 Likes

俺に才能なんてもんがあるように見えるか?
俺程度でそう見えるならテメェの人生幸せだな

Anyone can explain what exactly is 俺程度で? What is で? How do you translate it literally?

Maybe 程度 is a shortened version of ある程度?
Just a guess, since ある程度で seems pretty common, and 俺程度で not so much.

So the meaning would be something like:
俺ある程度でそう見えるなら
If I look like that to some extent
(where that = that I have talent)

1 Like

I have no clue, but ある程度 makes much more sense, can it simply be contracted down to 程度 as far as u know?

I don’t know, but given the extremely casual register, ellipsis wouldn’t be too surprising.

1 Like

I don’t think that works given the overall meaning, which is “if somebody at my level looks talented to you then you’ve led pretty sheltered lives”. 程度 works fine as a noun-suffix (here attached to 俺), and that isn’t casual/slangy speech.

6 Likes