Short Grammar Questions (Part 2)

And the “same subject” restriction doesn’t seem to work for 1.c, no? Like 1.b has a 決める (same human subject that also does the 相談) but 1.c is 決まる

2 Likes

I’d like to go back to this because you mentioned the process of doing a thing and I just wanted to clarify that because my language partner said this:

「乗りつつ」は確かに「電車に乗り込む」時にも使いますが、乗り込む時限定ではないと思います。少なくとも日常の日本語の用法では。

たとえば「電車に乗りつつおにぎりを食べる」=「電車に乗りながらおにぎりを食べる」
「電車に乗りつつ電話で話す」=「電車に乗りながら電話で話す」

なので、あなたの教科書がなぜボートの文を間違いにしたのかはわかりませんが、もしかしたら教科書が間違っているのかもしれません。

Thank you! Turning this into a flashcard!

Will look it up once I get my hands on the book. Again, I appreciate all the help.

:thinking: I hope someone clarifies this.

4 Likes

The textbook didn’t say the boat sentence was wrong tho, no? Or did you show him a different sentence

Based on what they said, I imagine they mean that they think every option works, no?

Rereading it no I think they mean that riding on a train would work.

It’s just that they decided to refer to that sentence as the “boat sentence” for whatever reason. Perhaps just a mistake on their part

Well, it’s the first option.

If 電車に乗り works though, why wouldn’t ソファーに座り?

I think works is more like “it’s not right grammatically but some people might use it”. Other people online seem to be saying it’s wrong.

So maybe it’s just that using it for noru has just slowly started to become more acceptable and not suwaru. Kogu is the one that sounds best and it sounds like there’s no disagreement about that necessarily, so for a question just asking about which one sounds best there’s no problem. It might just be a matter of knowing one is better than the others

1 Like

When I was going through the drills, I was talking to a Japanese native in high school. They told me the correct answer was ソファーに座り. Their reasoning was that answers A and C can only be used with ながら.

Not having the answers at the time, I sent the exact question to my language partner because I was very confused.

My language partner replied that the boat answer is the correct one and assumed that the answer in the textbook (which was actually a Japanese person) was wrong.

I wasn’t awake enough to understand everything while I was reviewing つつ earlier. As a consequence, I posted that without completely understanding why I was thrown off. I’m so sorry! And again, thank you so much to all of you for helping me work through my ignorance.

1 Like

Oh, hey. This makes sense to me.

But isn’t that a bad thing because it’s wrong?

Just to add, I went ahead and asked the teacher who has had a 100% track record of answering my questions right and she said A is definitely best and using it with noru is chotto hen. Further more she said all them would be fine if it was nagara and was very taken aback when I said a Japanese person said you can’t use tsutsu with kogu. Which…well so was I lol. Doesn’t help from an explanation standpoint, but figured I’d throw that out there

7 Likes

Can someone help me with reading this WK example sentence?

このは、クリックでかく大します
The picture gets bigger when you click it.

絵 is え, but is 大 read as だい or おお? And how can I tell?

Any help much appreciated!

It’s だい, because the word is 拡大かくだい except with the first kanji written in kana, as WaniKani is wont to do.

8 Likes

I see! Thank you so much! I thought でかく was the conjunctive form of our old friend でかい!Thanks for sorting it out for me @Belthazar ! Thank you!

4 Likes

I think then the structure would’ve been different:
この絵は、クリックででかくします
but since でかい sounds weird in this context, probably better to say
この絵は、クリックで大くします

1 Like

Thank you!

I want to say that a certain time is fine for me, however I can’t figure out wish particel to use. I would have used は but my translater says I should use で, which I hadn’t considered using in this situation at all.

So would it be:

来週の木曜日の14時は大丈夫です。

or…

来週の木曜日の14時で大丈夫です。

Any clarification would be extremely helpful.

Both sound fine, but the で sounds better for just picking a time to me.

1 Like

Why though? I’m not huge on grammer, but I always thought that で was for places where you did some kind of action. A moving particel so to say. I have never seen it being used with time like that, always に.

1 Like

That’s only one use of で. Tofugu has an article on it

And even that doesn’t really list all the possible uses, judging by the table of contents - the key part of it is one bit in the intro:

the underlying concept it represents: specification

That can be a reason, a place, a time, the cicrumstances surrounding something, the means by which something is done, the material used for something, a sequence of events, and probably a whole load of other things.

So I’d say で fits here because it’s doing exactly that, it’s specifying something about an action (which is not mentioned in the sentence itself, but if you’re agreeing on a time it’s safe to assume you’re gonna do something at that time).

Do note that this is my own mental model of で, and I’m not a native. Maybe natives see these as different uses of で, I’ve just personally always seen them as the same thing done in a different context.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the articel! I’m gonna use で then, seems quiet fitting.

They say particels are quiet simple in what they stand for, but the more you learn Japanese, the more uses for particels you discover and the more confusing it gets. Sucks for us, but hey, that’s life.

1 Like