Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I mean, yes, おりる does include that information in this sentences, but since you can おりる without moving toward something’s 下, it’s still something that people do say.

Like, if you’ say おりてください to mean “get off the train,” the person isn’t changing levels physically. They just stepped over a small gap.

Anyway, even if it’s redundant, is there any issue with that?

No, I thought maybe 下に was necessary in this sentence because of a grammatical rule I haven’t learned yet.

In that case, no it’s not necessary either. Grammatically anyway. I think 下に下りてください would still be used more than just 下りてください.

Then if you write the 下さい in kanji too…

4 Likes

Can we go deeper? What if youre talking to 山下さん

7 Likes

山下さんの部下の下川さん

2 Likes

How would you say “soon it will be cold enough to build a fire”
My grammar is too limited, so far ive come up with
火をまもなく建てる
but not really sure “cold enough” in this context or even if im on the right track

Firstly, build a fire is 火をたく

まもなく seems like too short of a time period for what you seem to be describing, but maybe I don’t understand the English.

Can’t one build a fire for numerous reasons in any temperature?

1 Like

It’s actually a song title.
I guess it would be a statement to someone or a reply. Honestly not sure a real context for it lol

Though may not translate to Japanese well and have the same meaning.

Actually, I’m pretty sure this exact line gets used in Aria (though not in the context of song titles, which tend to use more simplified grammar). I’ma check when I get home.

1 Like

People sure do love to translate song stuff… I personally never had much interest, since songs are so poetic and unlike everyday language.

If it means “Soon it will be cold enough that we need to build a fire” then that would be something like
もうすぐ火をたかないといけないくらい寒くなりそう

3 Likes

Yeah. I can barely make sense of songs in English. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

True, often you can’t translate it with the same meaning or it’s a slang type word that just doesn’t exist in the other language.

Thank you though, I’ll break that sentence apart figure it out. Still lots of stuff to learn lol, especially with verbs. I seem to be lacking on verbs

Yeah, there’s a lot of grammar in there. I can break it into its individual parts, but I’ll put it in the spoiler tag so you can tackle it if you want.

もうすぐ soon
火をたかないといけない need to build a fire, literally “if we don’t build a fire, it will not be good”
くらい extent, this is the part that means “enough” in the English
寒くなりそう - seems it will get cold, from 寒くなる (get cold) and ~そう (seems), and the そう is necessary because one cannot have perfect knowledge about what the weather is going to do

3 Likes

Ok, the line in Aria isn’t quite the same meaning.

だいぶ寒くなってきたから、暖炉の準備をしてるのよ

本当にためになる授業だった
It was such a beneficial lesson.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nani

Is this like an idiom or something? I have no idea how this means what it does…
Apparently ためになる means to be of benefit but lol wat

Would you understand it if it said 本当に役に立つ授業だった?

Because if you look up ためになる in a dictionary, 役に立つ is the definition.

4 Likes

hqdefault

leebos the name, speed’s the game

14 Likes

I was going back and quizzing myself on old grammar material on Lingodeer, and this got marked as wrong and I’m not exactly sure why. I use this sentence pattern pretty often, it’s a simple one. Can I not put the words in this order when talking about a group of people or something? Just the question before this I wrote 椅子の下に猫がいます and it was marked correctly. What makes these two different? Thanks!

While it’s not wrong, per se, it is still weird. The children are the focus of this sentence, so it’s odd to leave it until nearly the end of the sentence to bring them up.

1 Like