Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I saw this sentence in Bunpro:

この 丸味 を 帯びた デザイン が 好き だよ。

Is this a pattern? → feature of the stuff を stuff が 好きだ = I like this feature of the stuff…

1 Like

No, its just a normal sentence.

EDIT: Do you realize the を is for 帯びる?

6 Likes

No I missread the sentence. In my mind I was reading as if it was a noun 帯び + の and not the verb that was actually written…

4 Likes

If you wanted to say “you know, but don’t understand”, as in “you know this information, but don’t understand the implications”, would 知ってしかし分からない or something of the like he acceptable? This is really multilayer, 1) does contrasting 知る with 分かる like that make sense, and 2) does linking verbs using しかし work like that?

知ってしかし is grammatically wrong. しかし can only be used at the beginning of a sentence (after a period). Your simplest choices here would be 知っているが or 知っているけど.

That out of the way, it is possible to use 知る and 分かる with that sort of nuance, yes. But to make it sound natural you need to correctly place the は and such. A nice way of saying it that’s also common is using 理解. For example 知っているけど、理解はできてない

7 Likes

Question

There is a line from the Bleach series which goes

戦いですよ
負けたら死ぬん
What is exactly that katakana ス at the end? Couldn’t manage to find out. ん is contracted の as usual I guess

1 Like

ス is high-school-cool-guy for です

It sounds really informal, so it’s usually used as keigo only among students (as in, when you are both high schoolers, even if one of you is a senpai, you are not really being “formal”, just showing hierarchy).

Considering Ichigo’s character, it seems quite fitting.

10 Likes

This part confuses me, I thought that keigo was formal language by definition, where am I falling?

Anyway, I’m not sure because this is just a famous line I randomly stumbled across on internet, but I think it’s said by the man of the shop (I’m at season 2 don’t remember his name)

Keigo is language related to respect. There is overlap with formality, but formal content need not relate to showing respect (imagine a scientific research paper) and showing respect can also be done in casual forms.

9 Likes

Sambonjuku always begins his videos with the greeting ちゃっす and that っす at the end is です. It’s the same concept as the ス you came across.

He goes over uses of it in his video here: (turn on CC for subtitles):

One other thing to note is that the axes are perpendicular for impolite-polite and informal-formal.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link, it’s clear now! :ok_hand:

3 Likes

すべてニーズがあってのことでしょうから日本の「漫画・アニメ・キャラクターの文化」は相当数の人々、特に若い人に浸透していると思われます。

What is this? I found the grammar point あっての, but I’m not sure if this is that. And if it is, how exactly is it operating within this sentence?

すべて is “determined by” or “exists because of demand” whatever すべて is. Yes its that あってのこと

I dont like translations in general, but to give you an idea of how it works within the sentence since you asked, a rough natural rephrasing is:

It’s all based on demand, so you could say* that manga, anime, and character culture has probably made its way to a large number of people, especially those who are younger. (presumably because the demand is high).

*honestly couldn’t think of a natural way to put 思われます here in a better way.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for mentioning the すべて bit, as that confused me as well. I read through the entire essay and can confirm すべて is just referring to what she was talking about previously.

Could you guide me through how to process that entire thing?

すべてニーズがあってのことでしょうから

I’ll try my best to determine what confuses me;

すべて is right next to ニーズ, followed by が, and then あっての is followed by こと, why? Taking a glance at a grammar page for the point, I would think すべてあってのニーズ makes more sense? It’s looks like it’s all jumbled up or something, which makes me very very confused.

edit;

I just looked at an example on that page, and found a somewhat similar construction, I understand the ことでしょう bit now.

But why in the hell are すべて and ニーズ jammed together like that?

1 Like

すべて (は)ニーズ(があってのこと*)でしょうから

こと refers to すべて.

XはYがあってのこと = X exists thanks to Y

彼と付き合ったのは、そういう理由があってのことか

The fact that you dated him was thanks to that reason?

Subete likes to drop particles after it.

5 Likes

Thanks for the help! I didn’t know that about すべて, and upon my initial reading I thought it was an adjective modifying ニーズ, which made literally 0 sense lol.

2 Likes

鼻をかむ音は恥ずかしいこととはされないので、すすらず堂々とかんでください。知らない間のマナー違反が、一番怖い話の気も。

What use of とは is this? Also I assume されない is taking the 5th definition of する here;

“to judge as being; to view as being; to think of as; to treat as; to use as​ Usually written using kana alone, as 〜にする,〜とする”.

Is this why とは is used?

It’s common to pair negation with は. And は can come after と. So yeah, as you noted it’s とする in passive with は inserted. It’s not one of the uses of とは that has its own definition.

4 Likes

Is it safe to assume that the first は in the following phrase is a typo?

今のところはではあるが、

Excerpt from SAO Progressive 1

2 Likes

Apparently not.

Google search

6 Likes