Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

料理を作る to cook a meal

料理 is also just a noun meaning the act of cooking, or that which is cooked, i.e. a meal.

Different ways to express the same concept.
‘cooks a nice meal!’ vs ‘cooks well’. Can you see yourself using either?

2 Likes

Nothing says it can’t be. They are just using a different phrase. Further, you can also say 料理をする. For example:

私の妻は料理をしない

Edit to add:

Think of it like learning different ways to say ‘very.’ If all you ever used is とても over and over and over again you’re going to sound very much like a beginning language learner and come across as very repetitive sounding. That’s why you should explore when to use other words that can express a similar concept (though with a potentially different nuance or to provide extra emphasis to something) such as かなり, 非常に, etc. Variety spices up your conversations and writing.

1 Like

No need to bring your marriage issues into this… :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

You’re a cheeky one. :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

3 Likes

This sentence is given in Genki: 日本語勉強するのが好きです

I’m a little confused by the "を” particle there, as it feels like it denotes Japanese as the object being acted upon. My guess would be that with "を” there it means, “I like studying Japanese”.

Is this also grammatical:

日本語勉強するのが好きです

?

If so, I would think of it subtly saying instead, “I like Japanese studying”.

Yes, that is what the を is doing. It’s marking the thing you are studying. It’s literally saying ‘Studying Japanese is a thing that I like’ with the の nominalizing the verb phrase into a noun.

I believe you would instead say 日本語の勉強をするのが好きです.

4 Likes

Then you would need to make it 日本語の勉強をするのが好きです

Ignoring people who omit particles colloquially.

5 Likes

Why would I need to add the ”を” before する there?

I was under the impression "勉強する” and “勉強をする” were functionally identical, but that seems to not be the case.

Because you need to mark a direct object with を (though there are other options in other scenarios). If you have 日本語の勉強する you have a noun attached to a verb by の, which is ungrammatical.

勉強する and 勉強をする are identical in meaning, but not interchangeable in all grammar situations.

勉強する is essentially one word. A verb.
勉強をする is an object and a verb.

When you insert them into sentences you have to take that into consideration.

12 Likes

Because 日本語の勉強 is itself now a noun phrase; it’s not a verb. Remember that 勉強 is both a noun and a する verb, but の links nouns together not a noun to a verb. To link a verb to a noun, you would have to first nominalize it which your sentence does not do.

4 Likes

Also, if you do want to use 日本語の勉強する you would have to rephrase it like:

>日本語の勉強することが好きです

In this version, 勉強する has been nominalized by the こと and now you can link it via の with 日本語.

Not sure about that. The part before こと is still just its own clause that has to be grammatically correct. Such a construction could exist with different words, I suppose, but here I don’t think it would work.

This would sound like the thing doing the studying is 日本語, since が can become の in relative clauses.

4 Likes

Hmm, okay. I see the problem, I transcribed it wrong. The version I saw using こと was:

日本語の勉強をすることが大好きです

I’ll fix my answer above.

If the の is part of the relative clause, then it won’t work. If the の is attaching a noun to a separate relative clause it could. But in our example the の was part of the relative clause.

Okay, the form using こと was just what I found as the featured answer here:

Would
日本語の勉強をするのが好きです
and 日本語を勉強するのが好きです
be any different in nuance, or is the meaning the same?

I wonder if the former might put emphasis that Japanese is the thing you like studying. :thinking:
Pure speculation by the way. I’m curious to know if there is actually any nuance as well.

2 Likes

Hello world:)

I am new a new student to the world of Japanese and wanikani so forgive me if im not using this thread correctly. However, i do have a short grammatical question if someone can help me out.

What is the difference in meaning between 女の子 and 女子? From the wanikani lesson page they both mean girl but Im not too familiar with the use of の yet so was hoping someone could help me understand:)

thanks!

2 Likes

I made a thread about all the girl word options (though it’s not locked from not having recent posts)

If you still have more questions, feel free to continue to ask in this thread.

For now you don’t need to worry about how to use this grammatically, just think of it as one whole word, but that kind of の is called an appositive の.

4 Likes

From Genki Ch 8 Workbook:

日本語のクラスについてどう思いますか。

I understand that this sentence is supposed to mean “What do you think of Japanese class?” but I’m not sure what this middle part is:

日本語のクラスについてどう思いますか。

Is this two words? One? Why does it mean “what” in this case?

1 Like