Short forms + とおもいます

so I was asked to translate the sentence, “I think this woman is mary’s Japanese teacher” and checked the answer and it is “この女の人はメアリーさんのにほんごのせんせいだとおもいます”. I’m confused as to why there is a だ before とおもいます

any help would be appreciated

1 Like

It would help to know what it was you were expecting. Did you expect です? Did you expect nothing?

2 Likes

I think its because the ‘to’ is a particle and ‘omoimasu’ is the verb, but i might be wrong :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

i found out that you add だ to nouns or NA adjectives before とおもいます, not sure exactly why but i can remember it as a rule

1 Like

Well… A sentence with a thought has two parts, right? There’s the internal thought itself, and then there’s the “I think” or “I thought” part. The internal thought itself is a sentence you say to yourself, so that’s why it’s だ and not です. You don’t have to be polite to yourself. In the same way, if it’s a verb, it will end in plain form and not polite form before the と.

So you have this sentence この女の人はメアリーさんのにほんごのせんせいだ, and だ is the copula in plain form sentences.

6 Likes

thank you very much, id never considered polite and informal use in in this scenario. makes more sense now

1 Like

I always learned this as a rule, but what actually occurred to me recently is that it can help to think about the fact how the meaning changes if it’s not there, or it becomes ungrammatically weird. For example:

「漫画だと思います。」 vs 「漫画と思います。」

The first one could be translated as “(It’s) manga, I think.”, but the second one would be something like “With manga I think.”, which does not really make sense (well, I guess there could be some weird context :thinking: ). This same concept has helped me with the な-particle, because with nouns if you don’t put it the bare の would make the meaning different.

2 Likes

thank you for the insight, ill keep this in mind

2 Likes