šŸƒ Shenmue Tree - a Study "Lounge!" šŸ‚

To be perfectly honest, I already know textbooks are torture for me :laughing: Little overview:

• High School: Read nothing for anything (failed French twice, almost didnā€™t graduate)
  • College: Read nothing in my Spanish textbook (had to copy off my friends homework to pass by a hair)
  • Graduate School: @Shenmue = social worker - a.k.a. research and reflection papers, no tests at all.

SO, test challenges, like WK and other SRS systems, are just against my being. That said, I am thoroughly surprised and encouraged by my dedication to this. Learning never stops, even about your own possibilities!

Havenā€™t heard of Sakubi yet! I will check it out. I have also been putting off Tae Kim for some reason. Probably the self-study quizā€¦ curse that thing now!!!

3 Likes

I just want to take a moment to THANK each and every one of you for helping me in so far along the way, especially in my journal. You are the 10 posters, and I am grateful for you. I am such a question-asker (when not in a classroom full of people), and you have been a wonderful part of my initial learning experience. @yamitenshi @ChristopherFritz @Daisoujou @WeebPotato @MagicalGrill @Belthazar @bakugames @ccookf @skatefriday @Beyond_Sleepy

TY, 恩恆悂, ęœ‰ć‚Šé›£ć†, TY, 恊ē¤¼ TY!!!

7 Likes

Excited to watch as you get better at this.

Iā€™ll second what ChristopherFritz is saying ā€“ I think itā€™s shooting yourself in the foot if you donā€™t explicitly study a little grammar, but it absolutely doesnā€™t need to be from a textbook if youā€™d prefer for it not to be. Cure Dolly and online lookups are perfectly sufficient. Of course, he knows a lot more than me so thereā€™s no reason for his comment to need my backing, but you havenā€™t been in the book clubs so you might not know that yet, hahaha.

4 Likes

I completely agree. How am I supposed to feel comfortable with anything if I donā€™t know even the slightest grammar? (not that I actually know it now, just reinforcing why I need to know it! I will likely need reminders and course-corrections throughout my journey, but Iā€™m okay with that! Weā€™ll see if I make it to level 7 tomorrow without any self-study quiz earlier in the day like I had planned :laughing:

3 Likes

I donā€™t have much to add other than good luck! Video games were my introduction to Japan / Japanese as well, though if I had to specify a particular one itā€™d probably be Okami which I played when I was 13-14 - fully aware now that itā€™s a total hodgepodge of Japanese mythology and folklore.

As an avid game retrohead, I started collecting a load of retro stuff when I first arrived in Japan (about two years ago) to play as my Japanese improves - including, among other a things, a Dreamcast and a copy of Shenmue! I havenā€™t started it yet, but Iā€™m looking forward to playing it before too long since I donā€™t think itā€™ll be too out of reach. I know of Yu Suzuki through his earlier arcade works and Iā€™m aware this is considered his masterpiece - even if Shenmue III wasnā€™t so well-receivedā€¦

3 Likes

Of course you have something to add! Everyone does :slight_smile: (first person to say anything about a Dreamcast!!) START IT! I mean, I spent $400 on a customized Dreamcast to play the JP version or any other version, so at level 41 you can probably work your way through the JP version :laughing: Yu Suzuki is amazing, and yes, he captivated many of us with his earlier work, but I would say the respect is the same and Shenmue III was just ā€œpatchā€ for things to continue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh donā€™t worry, I will before too long! Iā€™m currently working through Skies of Arcadia (or rather, Eternal Arcadia) though and I think more than one RPG on the go at a time might be too much for my sieve-brain to handle.

Itā€™ll be really interesting (and my first time) to play through an RPG with substantial voice-acting in Japanese. Doubly so for you who will be already used to the English dub; especially since the slightly surreal acting became such a strong part of the gameā€™s identity in the west. And you get all of the product placement which was censored in the US version.

Also, bonus Outrun OST from one Yu Suzuki fan to another: Game Brassā€™s cover of Passing Breeze

3 Likes

WOW! Skies of Arcadia is my SECOND favorite Dreamcast game! Iā€™ve played it through many times, the story is fantastic! However, they did give the rights to Nintendo and it was released with quite a bit more added content on the GameCube!

Yes thatā€™s very true! I canā€™t wait for my Japanese Shenmue experience someday. I know many people who donā€™t know any Japanese still prefer the Japanese game with subtitles over the English. I, however, did grow up with English so Iā€™m partial to it :laughing:

HAHA yes, I never played any of his original works, but I did learn about them through Shenmue! I love that Ryo has a Sega Saturn in his house that was far from being released in 1986, but was the original platform where Yu Suzuki began development of Shenmue!

Another fun fact: Ryoā€™s TImex watch actually wasnā€™t developed until 1999 either, 13 years after 1986! The English version did have some product placement! (I own the watch, and they are very hard to find so it cost me more than Iā€™d like to say! :sweat_smile:).

UM YOURE GETTING 98-100%s??? In my reviews (I do them in batches of 10) Iā€™m ranging from 90% to 30%. And thatā€™s ok, considering Iā€™ve had 3 months to forget everything. If you get it wrong, youā€™ll get it right later. Thatā€™s my philosophy. Iā€™m wanting to start writing down what I get wrong but it seems exhausting. Definitely cool it with the self study thing. No oneā€™s perfect at language. I suck at English plenty sometimes :smiley:

2 Likes

Honestly unless youā€™re consistently getting less than, say, 80%-ish over large batches of reviews thereā€™s no cause for concern.

And if youā€™re getting below that consistently, Iā€™d look at doing fewer lessons, spacing out reviews and consuming more Japanese content over doing self-study to ā€œcheatā€ the SRS, really.

3 Likes

My problem is I took 3 months off and have forgotten large chunks of Japanese. Iā€™m burning a ton of stuff though so Iā€™m doing something right :slight_smile: . Good perspective, Iā€™d say 80% is good to shoot for.

3 Likes

Yeah, long breaks do need a different approach. Iā€™ve done that before and just took the drop in accuracy as itā€™ll correct over time, but I can see a use for self-study in that case. But taking a long break isnā€™t really using the SRS as intended anyway, so a little more not using it as intended isnā€™t gonna hurt :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

HAH yes, well, that number is about to drop as I stop using the self-study quiz all the time and pouring most my energy into WK! Because I was doing this, I was doing my reviews in full each time. Iā€™m actually kind of excited to slow down and start getting things wrong again! And yes, I my need progress not perfection to take hold with Japanese, and I totally mess up my English all the time too!

2 Likes

@crmsnprincess89

I liked this idea from yesterday! Seems simple and helpful.

1 Like

I listened to a podcast by a Mormon who learned Japanese as part of their mission, and one quote from his teacher I found very profound:

Itā€™s not without making 10,000 mistakes that you become fluent.

You need those mistakes. Thatā€™s how you learn. And thatā€™s not to say making the same mistake over and over again is going to help you, or that you donā€™t need to work on things because messing up is good, but you need to be comfortable being wrong, because itā€™s a natural part of learning.

3 Likes

This is beautiful. Iā€™m going to post it on my wall. Thank you, I love quotes like this!

My perfectionist tendencies were definitely getting in the way, and I can see that now. Iā€™m very relieved that Iā€™m going to be putting on the brakes today for more fun time with other aspects of learning Japanese and making 10,000 mistakes! I got a cool book yesterday in the mail ā€œThe Handbook of Japanese Verbs.ā€ I am loving it so far even though itā€™s pretty much a reference book, it has a million example sentences!

2 Likes

Okay I set this up and Iā€™m going to be using your system now! I have a feeling Iā€™m going to need the ā€œFailed Last Reviewā€ a lot more now that Iā€™m not going crazy with the self-study quizzing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just another flashcard rant :unamused:

Edit: Okay I think Iā€™m going to try Torii SRS for a while with the 10k and see how it goes. Iā€™ve heard good things about it. That way I can just just look kanji/vocab up in my reading and not have to input it into some sort of flashcard system while also learning common vocab that I might know by the time I encounter it. Do any of you have experience/thoughts with using Torii SRS 10k? @yamitenshi @ChristopherFritz @Daisoujou @crmsnprincess89 @Belthazar

I was hoping koohi.cafe was the answer for me, but it doesnā€™t appear to be. I think the site either isnā€™t set up fully yet or doesnā€™t do what I need it to. I created the vocab I wanted to study, and I did the initial lessons, but now it wonā€™t let me review anything under my ā€œnowā€ section. I assumed this meant ā€œready to review nowā€ as thereā€™s another section called ā€œsoon,ā€ but I canā€™t review anythingā€¦

Then I opened my AnkiDroid app on my chromebook, and itā€™s just way too messy to use.

Then I went to Kitsun and tried to convince myself itā€™s worth the $8 a month. Their site looks and feels great, but I couldnā€™t convince myself.

Then I went to my Shirabe Jisho app on my phone, which has a flashcard function too, but it just didnā€™t have the right feel.

Then I opened up my Torii SRS android app on my chromebook. Since it hasnā€™t been adapted to a computer screen, itā€™s like Iā€™m staring at a phone on my computer!

Then I decided I needed to go make my sushi rice and clear my brain :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah, I have only good things to say about it really.

A few tips:

• You can set Torii to hide furigana by default for reviews (showing only ----- above the kanji for a word). I think this is the Hide Kana setting under Reviews (make sure itā€™s enabled). I recommend trying to get a word by kanji alone, even if theyā€™re kanji you donā€™t know via WK yet, but if you donā€™t know it from kanji alone thereā€™s nothing wrong with checking the furigana. You can do that by clicking on the ----- where they should be.
  • Lightning mode is very useful, IMO, and really speeds up reviews
  • Hyperjump mode is something I personally avoided, because I want to be wrong if I type too much too, even if the beginning of what I wrote is correct
  • Add synonyms generously. Youā€™ll see them in your reviews as well when asked for the meaning of a word, which can be useful if for instance WaniKani has taught you a different meaning, or thereā€™s something that sets a word apart from what otherwise might seem a synonym. Just be sure not to cheat with it, but thatā€™s up to you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
  • Donā€™t bother learning more than about 2000 words via Torii. You should really be learning vocab from the material you consume by that point, and probably before it.
3 Likes

Got it, and I just turned it off for both lessons and reviews!

That just makes it so you donā€™t have to press enter, right?

Yes I would also like to avoid getting stuff right if I shouldnā€™t be!

HAHA okay, I will do this. Synonyms I know are going to get harder as I progress. Like the kanji for ā€œarriveā€ can also mean ā€œwear / donā€ and be a counter for suits? Ughā€¦

Oooo excellent. I do have a vague memory of you saying that you preferred Torii, and now I know even more about why! :slight_smile:

Hopefully this method of learning common words sticks with me. Iā€™m tired of bouncing all over the place! :sweat:

2 Likes