🍃 Shenmue Tree - a Study "Lounge!" 🍂

The Death Note club might end up being an intermediate club, because something tells me it’s not a manga for young ones :smiley: . Same if there was a Spy x Family club and if not, I might wanna start it myself at some point :slight_smile:

3 Likes

At least I already know 計画 means plan :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Might be interesting to read Death Note in Japanese. I know the gist of the story, but it’s been so long since I watched the anime that the details are hazy, and because I never read the manga I don’t have any detailed knowledge of dialogue at all, so I can’t fall into the “I totally knew that” trap I tend to fall into with manga I’ve read in English before.

Spy x Family looks like it has a fairly interesting premise, I might check that out too :thinking: Maybe I’ll give it a go in English first to see if I like it, and then continue reading in Japanese if I do.

2 Likes

Okay thank you TokeruKonkoyo!!! :slight_smile: I am trying to use my phone less and less because I really like the setup on my chromebook now (I just hope it does’t die or my cats don’t decide to pee on it :joy:) I have wonderfully fast gaming laptop but it’s so big I quite prefer this little thing!

1 Like

I’m sure you certainly can go to intermediate! TEST YOURSELF! Heck, I’m attempting to read a level 18 manga at level 7, so you can go higher too!

Well, although I have been forgetting I have Yomichan a lot, I understand. However, it doesn’t matter what people’s perception is, as I’m learning today - you help in so many different ways it invaluable! (I wish I could give you multiple solutions to my threads :joy:)

Well, I want to be like Michael Jordan (you) :laughing:

Hmm - other than VTubers (which you introduced me to fully (あかいな) :laughing: , I am much more of a physical book person. I love my manga, and I love the forums, so hopefully that will get me somewhere.

Ooo! I didn’t think of this as being a method of sorts! Not too ashamed now :joy:

Vocab, vocab, vocab - got it! I just wish I could retain some of the vocab I encounter in よつばと!

1 Like

Haha, it’s not the kanji I’m worried about :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But yeah, you’re right. I gotta push myself a bit to learn more. Reading やがて君になる with way less (internalised) vocab and grammar knowledge than I have now taught me a lot, even though it was a bit of a struggle at first. Going for something a little bit harder can’t hurt.

You will, it just takes time and practice. Keep reading - you’ll see words over and over again, and at some point you won’t have to look them up anymore.

1 Like

Yes, if people have access to Anki, it takes about 1 second to add a card with

1. The word on the front
  2. The reading
  3. Japanese definitions
  4. English definitions
  5. The pitch accent pattern
  6. If it’s an anime/show, the screen you saw it on
  7. The audio from the line if it’s an anime
  8. The sentence you saw it in with the word highlighted.
  9. Isolated word audio.

I would love to make a video showcasing it, but I’m headed to Tokyo for the weekend and won’t be on my computer for awhile. Pretty nutty doe

4 Likes

Have you documented how to achieve this in the 2 hour long video TokeruKonkoyo linked to? If so, could you give me a time stamp? I’m getting started with Anki now:)

2 Likes

Nah, I did it for books awhile back, but I think that was more focused on how to use yomichan on ebooks.

Ill make a new video with my full setup if you want when I get back to Takasaki. Are you interested in mining books or anime

4 Likes

Thank you, I’d like that :heart:

To begin with my main focus will be manga and anime. A bit of each every day. It will take a while before I start tackling text-only books but I’ll get there eventually.

2 Likes

Ight, I’ll see what I can do. I’ll have to go back and find the Lua scripts though since it’s been a minute

3 Likes

Glad to hear you motivated :slight_smile:

I hope so… I am encountering some repeats here and there… still having to look them up though, which ichi.moe technically already does for me when I type in the sentence. If ichi.moe were not a thing, I reading would be way harder :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

One thing to be wary of: don’t over-rely on ichi.moe.

Best is to try and parse the sentence yourself, use a dictionary for the words you don’t know, and use ichi.moe only for identifying grammar you’re not familiar with. Then look up that grammar and learn what it is and does, and try to recognise it without ichi.moe’s help from there on.

If that gets you absolutely nowhere, you may need to study a bit of basic grammar at the very least first. It’s more important for reading in that sense, because if you know all the grammar and no vocab you can read with just a dictionary, but if you know all the vocab and zero grammar you know what every word means (assuming it’s not conjugated) but you have no idea how anything relates to anything else.

3 Likes

Ah okay! May take me a little longer to read like this, but it sounds worth it learning wise!

Yes, I know I need more Cure Dolly and all. I just got Mina no Nihongo in the mail today, but for some reason the workbook is going to arrive in over 2 weeks from now?? I also have my all about particles book for reference!

2 Likes

I’ve had some successes today!

• Many reviews with no SSQ leading up to them. Many failures and some icky leeches - the cool part is I don’t care as much as I thought I would! Just moving forward and doing my lessons and reviews is all that matters. I still have 46 level 6 & 7 vocab lessons to do, but I’m in no hurry!
  • I realized よつばと! actually does have page numbers :sweat_smile: (just on select pages).
  • I also discovered HOW to do my reviews on koohi.cafe! SO I added 75 more vocab from the first 17 pages of よつばと! and will be starting them as lessons soon. I love the ease of looking up vocab and instantly turning it into a flashcard, also with being able to add synonyms and notes from what page I encountered it!
  • I got the main textbook of Minna no Nihongo today, but since it’s all in Japanese and the study guide is arriving super late, we’ll see if I get into it just quite yet.
  • I have a よつばと! reading pal now! They are a few pages behind me, but I’m going to put Yotsuba on pause while they catch up :slight_smile: Meanwhile I will watch Cure Dolly and crack open my verbs and particles reference books!

Just an update for anyone who may stumble upon it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Much progress! Very impressive! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you TokeruKonkoyo! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, having a weird start to my day so far, but staying on top of things. I just woke up from an hour long mid morning nap, and I’m not sure why my body / mind needed the rest as I slept well last night. I hate napping in general, so even allowing my eyes to close was like "noooo don’t do it" and then :sleeping:

Since really laying off the self-study quiz, my accuracy is wayyy down, which means my apprentice pile is nice and plump :laughing: I’m not too worried, though, I plan on spending quite a while at level 7 to make sure I can comfortably move on to level 8 when I do.

I have grammar notes well documented from Cure Dolly lesson 1-4, so I might move on to 5 today. I get so much from her, as I’m still new (and never cared about English grammar terminology) it takes me multiple times to watch them and each new one feels like I’m about to jump into a cold body of water :cold_face:

Excited about koohi.cafe too! Except my accuracy has been deplorable with the first 16 flash card lessons I’ve started. It just feels super neat to be documenting and challenging myself with the vocab I’m encountering in my first manga ever!

4 Likes

Alright, well :sweat_smile:

I’m back to Torii from my second attempt at Koohi… and the reason seems silly but is simple.

I can read katakana totally fine, but since almost every kanji/vocab the Koohi dictionary adds is in katakana, even if it’s got hiragana attached, my brain can’t process the two at this point. I just realized this was a major issue because I’m like “why can’t I picture things in my head like I do on WK??” This is why! I am still a tad slower with katakana processing, sure, but the visual memory of kana is very important to me (at least at my level!). Rant over :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doing this kind of exercise once a day might help?

2 Likes

Oh yes I’m sure this would definitely help some! I use an app on my phone that goes through all hiragana and katakana + dakuon + yoon as a speed quiz, and my best average is 1.5 seconds through all the 214 questions (that’s with stupid touch screen errors too :sweat_smile:

This seems a little different in that it combines katakana I don’t see together too often at this stage, so I will watch often for sure!

It seems to be the visual memory I sometimes rely on for the kana, I think, at my low level. At first I didn’t really notice that Koohi did this, but I kept saying “why is ジャク” so much harder to remember than じゃく? This could just be a simple thing for me to get used to, and ultimately be great katakana practice, but it was definitely stifling me more with the vocab I input myself, than even Torii does with the vocab it introduces to me :laughing:

Thank you for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like