🍃 Shenmue Tree - a Study "Lounge!" 🍂

AH I didn’t, just had to look it up :angry: ついたち! Hopefully that will help me remember now. THANKS Daisoujou :laughing:

1 Like

Haha, no problem. Just wanted to tease you. And いちにち is the more important word for sure. I dunno how many times I’ve heard it and I don’t think I’ve heard ついたち outside Wanikani just yet. Turns out concepts like “one day” or 'all day" come up a bit more than specifically “the first of the month.”

1 Like

The first of the month only happens once a month, after all, while all day happens every day. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

いい !!!!!!!!!!:smiley:

1 Like

HAHA great quote! :laughing:

1 Like

Just FYI - (especially for @yamitenshi :laughing: ) I just read through pages 12 and 13 of よつばと! and I don’t even need to ask for help tonight! The vol. 1 grammar guide was very helpful, AND actually inputting the sentences in full (as yamitenshi pointed out that I hadn’t been) is making a world of difference! I feel so much better about this!

4 Likes

My mom had given me a Christmas gift inside this tiny little Chinese envelope because of the kanji written on it. She can’t remember where it came from, and it’s a little taller than a tea packet. It looks pretty vintage, and because I love old/antique things, I almost liked it more than the gift itself! Today, I am proud to report that I drew out all the kanji on Shirabe Jisho app and found all 11 of them! They have meanings that do make me think it was some sort of tea or spice from China. The back has a Chinese brand name written in letters but I did a web search and nothing was to be found. Anyway, I just wanted to log this in my journal :slight_smile: Goodnight friends!

2 Likes

Congrats. There’s actually twelve, though - did you miss the 一 in the top panel of the sail? :stuck_out_tongue:

And then there’s the seal script in the top-left corner which, to be fair, can be quite hard to read even for native Japanese (or in this case, Chinese) speakers. Uh, let’s see… um… I think it’s 錦繡前程, but since that appears to only be the name of a movie released in 1994, I’m not completely certain…

Did you try feeding each set of four characters through some manner of translation service? They’re all phrases in Chinese wishing various kinds of luck and good fortune. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

AH! I did haha! Wow GOOD CATCH! :laughing:

Yes, I could not make out the seal :frowning: I’m super impressed that you could make it out! Hmm it’s a little too small for movie popcorn :laughing: perhaps some Skittles?? I have some Chinese artwork that is very difficult too. I do have much appreciation for seal stamps though!

Yes I noticed that and that’s EXACTLY what I told my mom. I did not, but I assumed it was trying to tell the buyer - “this brings fortune and good luck!” It also could be a novelty kind of item, who knows! The company name is “XHYW - Xiaohuayinwu” … couldn’t find anything on the Google machine though.

Question About Flash Cards:

I’ve been chatting with @crmsnprincess89 in her study log about flash cards, and I’m already aware of the different sites/apps for using them. However, she made me think a little more about using them myself for kanji or vocabulary or grammar that I encounter while reading. At this point my main aim is to use WaniKani SRS levels for Kanji, and I’m trying to keep up with the self study quiz, which is sort of like a WK only flash card system of testing if you will, but takes some time out of my day. Then for grammar I really want to use reading immersion, which I know will take time and isn’t easy, but I also imagine I’ll pick up a kanji/vocabulary here and there too that I retain.

Ultimately I don’t want to add too much to my plate, but my question is: Should I be coupling a flash card system with my reading? I can see the benefit for sure, but I don’t want to overwhelm myself.

Just gonna tag some peeps for help :slight_smile: お礼 in advance!!!

@ChristopherFritz @yamitenshi @Daisoujou @Iinchou @Belthazar

4 Likes

I would kind of advice against it unless you’re planning to do a lot of reading to compensate for the lack of a textbook to understand the nuances of grammar structures. If not, you might run into “do I actually understand the nuance correctly?”. In Japanese there are some grammar points like でも and various conjugations of する and よる which don’t always point to the same nuance. For instance:
によると - according to something/someone
によって - through something/someone, by means of

Understandable. Doing too many SRS reviews is fairly taxing. I would say “yes” to Anki or whatever other SRS for vocab. I usually focus on common words, words which define the meaning of a kanji or cover readings one doesn’t encounter often.

4 Likes

Oh yes, I have some textbooks as well as Cure Dolly, which has been my best teacher on grammar points. But to actually experience them on my own has matched up really well with my learning style afterwards.

Okay good to know! I know that vocab is not a main focus of WK, and their vocab is aimed toward learning the kanji, so learning common vocab should definitely be a side-focus :slight_smile: Thanks for this advice!!!

4 Likes

My personal recommendation is to create flashcards for the highest frequency words you’re likely to encounter. By seeing a word and its English counterpart, you’re priming yourself to recognize the word (even if you don’t remember it) when reading.

The problem is finding a frequency list that is targeted to the material you’re reading, and being able to easily create flashcards from it. There are people/groups working on this (such as Refold with their JP1K Anki deck, and Migaku with its Chrome browser extension), but a lot of these are still in development, and currently only available to Patreon supporters. (I can give more info and provide links for these if you’re interested.)

6 Likes

Definitely a good recommendation! But yes I see the issue with finding something. I’ve never heard of the JP1K Anki deck! Or the Migaku Chrome extension??? I use a Chromebook so this may be helpful! Although I don’t want to necessarily pay for anything more right now, so I’d have to see what their Patreon costs are. I’m going to look into these for sure. If I did pay for something more it might be Kitsun. They seem far better than Anki to me at least how everything is situational on a Chromebook it seems. :unamused:

Thanks to you as well for this guidance :slight_smile: (per usual!!!)

2 Likes

Going that route, you’d want to look into Kitsun’s “JLPT N5 Vocabulary” deck. Since the JLPT N5 covers common words, chances are most of the words in that deck will come up in any reading you do.

3 Likes

Ugh okay you’re making me want to consider this more! HAH :laughing:

2 Likes

I do recommend reading up on or watching some videos about grammar points you encounter. It’s fine to just encounter them naturally and learn them as you go, and there’s not really any need to use an SRS or go for a full-on structured grammar course, but willfully ignoring readily available information in favour of essentially bashing your head into a wall until your brain makes the right connections is probably not the most effective way to go about things.

You can learn grammar purely by encountering it, but it’s going to take a lot more immersion than you currently have, and probably a lot more careful selection of materials (i.e. materials you understand enough of to infer the meaning of things you encounter which are unfamiliar to you). Keep in mind that the people who learn a language in that way (children) are usually surrounded by native speakers 24/7.

I think the more important thing here is to couple some form of basic vocab resource with your reading. Whether it’s an N5 (and maybe N4) vocab list, the most common 1000 words in Japanese, or something else along those lines doesn’t matter, but you’ll probably want some foundation in vocab. Flashcards just happen to be a decent way to accomplish that.

Knowing some basic vocabulary is also going to help a bunch of grammar stick, since instead of random collections of kana it becomes words with a meaning and might make some intuitive sense.

2 Likes

HAHA point well taken! That’s why I like Cure Dolly a lot, I’m just finding myself having to re-watch her first 3 videos just to make sure I’m getting it all, and I’m hesitant to move forward until I do.

I also was talking to crmsnprincess89 about this and graded readers. The only one I have, which I probably impulse purchased a year ago at Barnes & Noble, is recommended level 27, which is even higher than Yotsubato! I may have to look into easier graded readers, but I’m still having so much fun with Yotsuba’s story!

Yes I can see the value of flashcards for sure. I’m just afraid of getting too overwhelmed I suppose. I’ll dig a little deeper into the suggestions you all have given me and I will hopefully come up with some sort of start and go from there!

Oh yes, I imagined this too! :laughing: Especially after reading Yotsubato! But, it does really help to have the furigana to type with my Japanese keyboard, and at least for volume 1 I have the amazing vocab/grammar guide, so I imagine that will help.

…I am a much better writer now than when I was younger, perhaps due to graduate studies, but I am embarrassed to say I also have to look up what most of the grammar acronyms mean… :frowning:

3 Likes

I do agree with everyone else as far as it being a very good idea to use SRS for vocab and do a basic level of learning grammar and whatnot. One thing I want to add to at least think about –

So I’ve never used the Wanikani self study thing, but it’s basically extra drilling of WK material, right? I know some people use it and swear by it, although I think in a lot of cases they’re using it specifically for material they can’t seem to learn at all, I’m not sure if you’re just doing extra drill of everything or what. You know better than I do if you think you need it, but because too much SRS time really can become a drag, perhaps you could consider if it’s feasible to back off of that, a little? The way I see it, SRS is at its core designed to try to help you retain information through the fewest, furthest spaced repetitions possible. One goal, in that sense, is to use WK as little as possible, while still getting the benefit. Especially for material like this where you are not so much even learning something as you are getting an initial exposure to have SOME idea of it to be able to recognize and not stumble over it in reading, where your real learning will happen (since it’s hard for WK to convey correct word nuances and whatnot).

Just an idea to consider for your time though, don’t mean to discourage you too much from something if it is working out well for you.

7 Likes

Just an idea to consider for your time though, don’t mean to discourage you too much from something if it is working out well for you.
[/quote]

Hmmm I see what you’re saying. For me I use it to “safely” get answers wrong, see why, and then give myself a chance to attune my mnemonic because clearly something wasn’t working for me. I love how you can create super specific custom quiz’s (like "Level 4 Kanji in Apprentice II) for example. I’m trying not to use it as a way to just study the hour before the real review as a boost to getting things right. And I agree, I should probably back off of the self-study a bit!!! :slight_smile: I totally agree about too much SRS, I think that’s another reason I gave up on Bunpro (but there were a lot of reasons).

I like the way you put that - sometimes I forget that SRS is designed to solidify the material in the proper amount of time, not hinder you from moving forward and something you need other auxiliary sources to compensate for :sweat_smile: Hmmm “use WK as little as possible” I must ponder this idea more! Because Tofugu / WK has been so helpful in getting me started with Japanese, like Kana and all, I think I tend to worship it :laughing:

You certainly just gave me a lot more to consider! But it’s goooood stuff! Thanks much, per usual, Daisoujou!!!

3 Likes