šŸƒ Shenmue Tree - a Study "Lounge!" šŸ‚

ā€œdietā€ I LIKE THAT! :smiley:

Ugh you are now causing me to question Torii once again. I just canā€™t get going with Ankiā€¦ Iā€™m also afraid I will only type in the onā€™ or kunā€™ reading and miss something in my flashcard process. Thatā€™s why I liked Koohi but it just seemed to be broken and not work for reviews in the endā€¦ am I wrong perhaps?

1 Like

You donā€™t have to use Anki :slight_smile: . Itā€™s just that mining vocab is possibly more worthwhile than learning kanji alone or with a bit of vocab you might not be interested in or use. To me at least itā€™s more motivating to remember words and phrases that are somehow more relevant either to my personality or to the stuff I like doing. Baseball is not one of them (for now) :joy: .

2 Likes

This is what I was thinkingā€¦ Anki on a Chromebook = :skull_and_crossbones: ā€¦ If Kitsun wasnā€™t $8 a month I think it would be wonderful!

HAHA! yes, I agree. Iā€™m so proud of everything I ā€œencounterā€ (as opposed to learn) in reading 悈恤恰ćØ! ā€¦ I just want to find the best way to study it.

2 Likes

Even the browser version of Anki? I use it on my phone.

Sounds good! Fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I looked into the browser version of Anki and it explicitly stated that "this is only meant to be used along with the Anki program, which I cannot install on a chromebook. They DO happen to have an AnkiDroid app that installs on the chromebook, but it is super funky, and has no easy way of using it.

The time it will take to ADD cards to a flash system does not seem worth the effort, which is why I thought Koohi.cafe was the answer for me. I just found something interesting on Koohi though (since you sparked me to look into it again) so perhaps it may work still? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For a good setup I would check one of the threads Vanilla originally wrote about his setup. This thread might also be interesting to you: My Complete Journey, Reflection, and Advice for Achieving a High Reading Level in Japanese

Iā€™m a little lazy so my setup is fairly clunky, but GoodEnoughā„¢. I also prefer not having too many apps on my phone, cause they just keep growing in size.

5 Likes

Yeah, fair, I wouldnā€™t rate myself an absolute beginner - but thereā€™s a reason all the book clubs I participate in are the beginner ones :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Given the relative ease I had with ꄵäø»å¤«é“ once I got my head around the kansai-ben though, I think I might try my hand at an intermediate book club next.

Keep in mind what you see me produce on here is what I produce with copious amounts of Google and dictionaries, and what I respond to I usually read with the help of Yomichan. What I can do on my feet is a fair bit less. Which is fine, Iā€™m still learning, but it might skew peopleā€™s perception.

Barely. Some Duolingo and what little Iā€™d gleaned from anime - so I knew most hiragana and some katakana, and maybe a dozen words and three particles :joy:

Pretty much, but most of my Japanese I didnā€™t learn from WaniKani. Thatā€™s one of the reasons Iā€™m ā€œstuckā€ at level 17 - I switched focus to grammar and vocab first to get more of a foundation, then started consuming content (VTubers, general YouTube, Twitter, manga, that sort of thing, as well as participating on the forums). The first bit was a very important bit of foundation, the latter is what taught me the most.

I could do with a lot more kanji knowledge though. And more vocab and grammar, but Iā€™m slowly picking that up as I read stuff.

Thatā€™s the best way to do it. Youā€™re not gonna spend two full seconds thinking about every word while reading or listening, so if you can use the SRS to get to a point where your immediate thought is the right one, youā€™re in a good place.

*gestures vaguely at Leebo*

*points vigorously at Jonapedia*

Anyone judging on WK level is in for a treat and a half :joy:

Iā€™ve actually found kanji to be useful in listening. Hearing the readings for kanji I know can help me figure things out, especially in context. But the benefit is much, much smaller than in reading and writing, absolutely.

Just use Torii if thatā€™s what works for you. An SRS is an SRS is an SRSā€¦ for the most part. The important part is youā€™re learning vocab, which system you use for that is irrelevant.

4 Likes

Iā€™m in that sentence and I donā€™t like it.
Seriously. Signed up for WK in 2012. Started learning Japanese in 2010. Got diagnosed ADHD in 2013 but no meds have ever really helped. Dropped Japanese till Covid forced me into lockdown and I needed something to do. Fun times. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It is, ultimately, all one interconnected thing that itā€™s nice for your brain to make more connections between, certainly. No disagreement there. I also left out subtitles, where you rarely (though not never) get much furiganaā€¦ though recently Iā€™ve been getting frustrated just trying to find Japanese subtitles for most things, heh.

3 Likes

The 大川 beginner book club wasnā€™t so beginner actually :joy: . We had a story loaded with ꕬčŖž and many other ones with archaic vocab soā€¦ :smiley:

Pretty sure youā€™d do fine in the intermediate book clubs!

3 Likes

Youā€™ve convinced me, Iā€™m gonna spy out an interesting looking one and dive into the deep end then!

ā€¦After I binge some more volumes of ꄵäø»å¤«é“ because watching this guy scare the pants off store clerks while his wife nerds out over a magical girl anime is hilarious :joy:

4 Likes

The Death Note club might end up being an intermediate club, because something tells me itā€™s not a manga for young ones :smiley: . Same if there was a Spy x Family club and if not, I might wanna start it myself at some point :slight_smile:

3 Likes

At least I already know č؈ē”» means plan :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Might be interesting to read Death Note in Japanese. I know the gist of the story, but itā€™s been so long since I watched the anime that the details are hazy, and because I never read the manga I donā€™t have any detailed knowledge of dialogue at all, so I canā€™t fall into the ā€œI totally knew thatā€ trap I tend to fall into with manga Iā€™ve read in English before.

Spy x Family looks like it has a fairly interesting premise, I might check that out too :thinking: Maybe Iā€™ll give it a go in English first to see if I like it, and then continue reading in Japanese if I do.

2 Likes

Okay thank you TokeruKonkoyo!!! :slight_smile: I am trying to use my phone less and less because I really like the setup on my chromebook now (I just hope it doesā€™t die or my cats donā€™t decide to pee on it :joy:) I have wonderfully fast gaming laptop but itā€™s so big I quite prefer this little thing!

1 Like

Iā€™m sure you certainly can go to intermediate! TEST YOURSELF! Heck, Iā€™m attempting to read a level 18 manga at level 7, so you can go higher too!

Well, although I have been forgetting I have Yomichan a lot, I understand. However, it doesnā€™t matter what peopleā€™s perception is, as Iā€™m learning today - you help in so many different ways it invaluable! (I wish I could give you multiple solutions to my threads :joy:)

Well, I want to be like Michael Jordan (you) :laughing:

Hmm - other than VTubers (which you introduced me to fully (恂恋恄ćŖ) :laughing: , I am much more of a physical book person. I love my manga, and I love the forums, so hopefully that will get me somewhere.

Ooo! I didnā€™t think of this as being a method of sorts! Not too ashamed now :joy:

Vocab, vocab, vocab - got it! I just wish I could retain some of the vocab I encounter in 悈恤恰ćØ!

1 Like

Haha, itā€™s not the kanji Iā€™m worried about :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But yeah, youā€™re right. I gotta push myself a bit to learn more. Reading ć‚„ćŒć¦å›ć«ćŖ悋 with way less (internalised) vocab and grammar knowledge than I have now taught me a lot, even though it was a bit of a struggle at first. Going for something a little bit harder canā€™t hurt.

You will, it just takes time and practice. Keep reading - youā€™ll see words over and over again, and at some point you wonā€™t have to look them up anymore.

1 Like

Yes, if people have access to Anki, it takes about 1 second to add a card with

1. The word on the front
  2. The reading
  3. Japanese definitions
  4. English definitions
  5. The pitch accent pattern
  6. If itā€™s an anime/show, the screen you saw it on
  7. The audio from the line if itā€™s an anime
  8. The sentence you saw it in with the word highlighted.
  9. Isolated word audio.

I would love to make a video showcasing it, but Iā€™m headed to Tokyo for the weekend and wonā€™t be on my computer for awhile. Pretty nutty doe

4 Likes

Have you documented how to achieve this in the 2 hour long video TokeruKonkoyo linked to? If so, could you give me a time stamp? Iā€™m getting started with Anki now:)

2 Likes

Nah, I did it for books awhile back, but I think that was more focused on how to use yomichan on ebooks.

Ill make a new video with my full setup if you want when I get back to Takasaki. Are you interested in mining books or anime

4 Likes

Thank you, Iā€™d like that :heart:

To begin with my main focus will be manga and anime. A bit of each every day. It will take a while before I start tackling text-only books but Iā€™ll get there eventually.

2 Likes