Share your overall accuracy!

Yeah, I probably should. I’m not usually good at coming up with mnemonics on my own(not very creative) but I can probably if I put some effort into it. My biggest weakness right now is I kinda have a short temper so I just throw things at a wall until they stick, which is a major issue.

1 Like

The WaniKani mnemonics are pretty good but sometimes they don’t catch on for me. Some people claim it’s way better to figure out your own mnemonics because you can picture it better, but I’m not too good at coming up with my own either.

Mm I was bad at it at first, but for many levels now I’ve been using 100% my own mnemonics and don’t waste time reading the ones supplied because homebrewed ones straight up work better, you can use your own experiences or pronunciation of words (many of the WK mnemonics didn’t make sense to me because with an Australian accent a lot of the phonetic matches they drew didn’t work at all) or anything. It’s like anything else, you get better at doing it by doing it. Plus I can make the mnemonics as extreme or goofy or funny or crude as I like because it sticks better and I don’t have to cater to a broad audience, only to myself.

Having to make 10+ new mnemonics a day made me better at making mnemonics, and it’s made learning vocabulary outside of Wanikani a hell of a lot easier as well. Highly recommend.

4 Likes

7 Likes

High accuracy for meanings, low(er) accuracy for readings
—> Side effect of having learned Mandarin Chinese before now starting with Japanese

WaniKani_Statistics

4 Likes

A lot of reading fails…

1 Like

2 Likes

My one advice would be to not rush through lessons. Take time to really internalize how the components of kanji/vocab relate to the meaning. For kanji and non-jukugo vocab readings make sure the mnemonic is strong - if not, make up your own that is strong. I also take time to read all example sentences, understand which meaning is used and how (sometimes I use this to decide which alternative to memorize), and practice reading them out. I love this language, and enjoy every single new thing I learn of it, which probably helps too.

2 Likes

I know what it means but don’t always retain the reading. Guess that’s pretty normal. I was watching this YouTube video on optimal timing for learning intervals. He declares your spaced repetition is ideal when you retention rate is 80-90%. Anything above it is too easy and anything below it is too hard and something needs to be modified. (ie. less lessons, more reviews, or better cards)

2 Likes

I think this is @Leebo second time through WaniKani.

Leebo literally said:

This is my second time through, so it’s not a fair comparison, but it’s 99.52% right now.

1 Like

I was right!

Looks bout right. Also seems that I lose a solid 1-2% accuracy to typos.

2 Likes

Hah…better than I thought

2 Likes

I still don’t understand how I have this accuracy considering I frequently have around 85% in my reviews. :thinking: Maybe I just remember the bad sessions.

2 Likes

This is accuracy per review, and if you’re seeing 85% at the end, that’s accuracy per item.

If you have 4 reviews (2 items, 1 meaning and reading each) and you get one wrong, that’s 75% review accuracy, and 50% item accuracy.

The stats site doesn’t show item accuracy.

3 Likes

I know but still 85% item accuracy should be around 92% review accuracy. Thanks for trying to make sense of it haha. Like I said, maybe I remember more the bad sessions than the good ones.

Well, you said “frequently” but not “all the time” so I assumed you were talking about bad review sessions and that you also have better ones.

It’s review size that matters. I’m guessing you’re getting those 85% on small Apprentice sessions and much higher on those big Guru+ sessions.

3 Apprentice sessions with 30 reviews at 85% accuracy and
1 Guru-Master session with 150 reviews at 95% accuracy gets you
91.25% overall accuracy, but all you’ll remember is three 85% and a 95%.

2 Likes

Started only 2 weeks ago though, so I don’t think it’s accurate yet (especially the meaning acc xd).

3 Likes