Servant or Bride?

I am reading 10分で読めるでおばけやようかいの話.

In one story, a woman stays with a man for the duration of a three-day blizzard. When it clears up, he asks her 「おいらのおよめさんになってくれないか」So I Jisho’d およめさん and got “bride”, but Google translate gives me “servant” when I put the whole question in. DeepL also gives me “bride” or bride-related words.

So which is it? Bride, or servant? Is there some etymological reason for the discrepancy? Are Japanese brides thought of as servants to their bridegrooms? Or is Google just being dumb again?

1 Like

Well, from the context, I’d say it’s bride. Context is very important in Japanese.
I might, of course, be wrong though.

Yeah, context makes it clear. It is more that I cannot find any other source that gives “servant” as an option. Like, if Google is wrong, why is it so wrong here?

1 Like

Try it with no kanji, which is how it is presented in the book

Google is known struggle with no kanji, so often the best results come from adding kanji.

4 Likes

The problem is that when one reads lower-level material, kanji often is not available, and being a low-level reader, which kanji is correct is not always clear (though context, or coworkers, help close that gap I find myself without coworkers who could help at the moment).

2 Likes

I think Google has been hitting the Friday night sake a little early!

3 Likes

What doesn’t make sense is it’s suggesting the right kanji while saying servant.

6 Likes

Fixed it for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I like the pronoun おいら here. A good pronoun for a rural farmer type person.