September 3 2021 Content Updates

Kanji

(6) - updated reading mnemonic and hint.

(6) - updated reading mnemonic.

(43) - added えん to reading warning list.

(49) - added かい and がい to reading warning list.

Vocabulary

私立大学 (8) - added “private uni” to alternative meanings.

延びる (31) - added “to be destroyed” and “to get destroyed” to the block list.

先月 (4) - removed “previous month” from alternative meanings.

被る (20) - moved “to put on”, “to wear”, and “to put a hat on”, and updated meaning and reading explanations.

触れる (26) - added “to be able to touch” and “can touch” to meaning warning list and added さわれる to reading warning list.

聡明 (51) - added “wise” as primary meaning and “intelligent” as alternative meaning, moved “sagacity” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

老人 (11) - added “the elderly”, “old man”, “old woman”, “elderly man”, and “elderly woman” to allow list.

近視 (24) - added “nearsighted” and “shortsighted” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

遠視 (24) - added “farsighted” and “longsighted” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

肥満 (25) - added “obese”, “overweight”, and “fat” to allow list, and added two context sentences.

取材 (16) - moved “collecting data” to allow list, and added “event coverage”, “coverage”, and “collecting data” to allow list.

Added

• Level 13: 天王星 (てんのうせい) - Uranus
  • Level 44: 土砂 (どしゃ) - Sediment
  • Level 51: 亮平 (りょうへい) - Ryohei
  • Level 52: 綾乃 (あやの) - Ayano
  • Level 52: 大輔 (だいすけ) - Daisuke
  • Level 58: 勿体ない (もったいない) - wasteful

Moved

• Level 33: (すな) - moved up to level 36.

Hidden

• Level 17: 性愛 (せいあい) - Although 同性愛 and 異性愛 are common, 性愛 by itself is very uncommon. We also have a lot of other words to practice these readings ofand 愛.
  • Level 19: 借財 (しゃくざい) - This word is obscure, and we have enough other words to practice these readings ofand 財.
30 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

4 Likes

Thank you, Jenny! Thank you, Kumi!

3 Likes

Thank you, Jenny! Thank you, Kumi! Thank you, Redglare! :grin:

3 Likes

So for 先月, will you get it wrong now if you put ‘previous month’? Is that not kind of what it means though?

Sorry if I’m being stupid haha

1 Like

“Previous month” to me sounds like one month before some other reference month (that is not this month), which is not what 先月 means.

He crashed his car in December when he had just got his license the previous month.

As opposed to

He crashed his car today when he had just got his license last month.

6 Likes

This one’s plagued me for some time now. (After nine months, I have it at Guru.)

Worst part is, in the split second after confirming my entry and before getting the (negative) result, I realize my error.

2 Likes

Makes sense given the great Tofugu article and podcast episode

2 Likes

I’m very glad to see you’ve added some names. Very helpful! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

This sounds like a case of potato potato :smiley: . In sentence 1 I would say “the month before” instead of “the previous month” to make it clearer. Also, one can say “the previous month” and mean “last month”, but I agree with the change. It will help emphasize the differences between some time expressions.

Big thanks for the updates!

2 Likes

We hesitated over this one, but decided allowing “previous month” is a bit misleading for the reason tomwamt mentioned. We haven’t added it to the block list though, so feel free to add it as a user synonym if that’s helpful for you! :blush:

4 Likes

When you guys get the chance can you please add 上着 (うわぎ) Jacket to WaniKani please.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll add that to the list of words to consider adding.

Could 茶碗 (ちゃわん) Tea cup be added too?

1 Like

Sorry for the late response! Thank you everyone for the explanations, and thanks Jenny for the updates!

1 Like

Can 冠る (かぶる) to put on (one’s head) be added please?

Thanks Jenny :high_touch:

The word is already there as https://preview.wanikani.com/vocabulary/被る

1 Like