September 25 2020 Content Updates

Might be part of the October 9 2020 Content Updates!

Rejoice, you found a hidden durtle!

:durtle_durverted_lvl2:

What does that mean? Is that a badge to compensate for my loss?

The item (that you burned on a durtle) is playing hide-and-seek with you… you’ll probably find it on the forums tomorrow. :wink:

1 Like

Well spotted! We’ve removed the vocab 人性 because it’s so obscure it’s not really worth learning for most people, and we don’t need it to consolidate either of the two kanji. As @UInt2048 guessed correctly, this is part of this week’s updates, which will be published to the forum tomorrow :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s particularly obscure, but I don’t mind either

1 Like

they should also consider about てtずくり. Its almost impossible to type it.

Type “du” for づ

2 Likes

“てづくり”, works pretty well …
はい。ありがとうございます。

2 Likes

I also don’t think it’s obscure at all. It’s one of those words I knew even before starting to really study Japanese! :joy: Must’ve come up a lot in anime.

2 Likes

Perhaps wanting to know the word 人性 is just 人性.

2 Likes

Interesting! None of us on the content team had come across it much/at all and it has very few entries in our go-to corpus, so that’s what we based our decision on!

3 Likes

Are you sure you don’t mean 人生? 人性 isn’t even marked as a common word on jisho.org.

3 Likes

I definitely remember it from a context of “That is just human nature”. But 人生 may have contributed into making me think the former is more common than it is. Especially since in spoken language you could sometimes interchange one for the other and the sentence still make sense.

1 Like

4 Likes

I thought it was a welcomed change with all the Aya and Ayaka names out there. However looks like there are just as many that use 彩 for Aya so seems like a fine line in teaching nanori readings here unless there will be あや ‘design’ vocab for 綾 in the future.

Just some suggestions: For 伺 kanji, if we are going to use kunyomi as primary entry, I may suggest adding ‘ask’ and ‘visit’ as accepted meanings. Also it didn’t make sense to me to have 頂 kanji as ‘humble’ as an alternate meaning…I see it as 謙譲語 for ‘receive’ (not ‘humble’ itself). I couldn’t find any kanji dictionary that included it either. However I think ‘receive’ itself would a good alternate meaning instead.

Though 綾 does come up in both given and family names, we’re not currently teaching nanori! This is more for words like 綾取り.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll add them to the list and look into them with the rest of the content team :slight_smile:

1 Like