整理する (15) - added “to realize” to block list

近距離 (45) - added “far distance” to block list

作り方 (7) - added “how to use”, “way to use”, “way of using” to block list

相手 (9) - added “opponent” to the allow list

30 Likes

Thank you as always ^-^

4 Likes

THANK YOU, KUMIREI!!!

Some might say this joke is becoming shallow.

11 Likes

Thank you, @zEUs_Japanese!

9 Likes

Thank you @Naphthalene for thanking @zEUs_Japanese for thanking @Kumirei for thanking @TofuguJenny

12 Likes

I just did this one today! I was a little confused when it was accepted XD.

4 Likes

Thank you, Jenny ANIME%20NITRO%20EMOTE%20SERVER-1

11 Likes

Thank you @YoungAdam and @Joeni (and @DaisukeJigen & @Kutsushokunin)

5 Likes

thank you @TofuguJenny (:

w-what did i do >_>

2 Likes

I’d like to thank Jenny and all of her 相手, as well as all of my 相手 in the comments for thanking their 相手.

11 Likes

Thank you @DaisukeJigen

2 Likes

First time I see this thread.
Sorry if I should be supposed to know, but what is the block list? What is the allow list?

WK allows for typos in your english answers (like it “eleavtor” for “elevator”), it can sometimes allow answers that are actually different words and should be wrong answers. That’s what the block list is for. It’s a list of words that are kinda similar to the right answer, but are definitely wrong meanings. That way you don’t get in the habit of answering an item the same (wrong) way just because the typo checker allowed it.

4 Likes

@timfreilly explained the block list.

The allow list is for words that are not the “official” Wanikani definition but other acceptable meanings for the words. For example, although “partner” is listed as the definition of 相手, “opponent” is also a correct meaning. However, it is not the main one that WK wants to teach, so as to not confuse learners, WK accepts it as an answer but doesn’t list it on the vocab card.

5 Likes

Oh thanks for your explanation! I thought typos were just one wrong or missing letter. I often have problems to find the right word in English. If I know the meaning then I look it up in a dictionary instead of guessing how to say it in English. That takes much time when I do my reviews.

1 Like

I understand. I would have thought that an opponent is the contrary of a partner. Interesting that you can use the same word for both in japanese!

It’s more like opponent in a sports game, or something like that! So, like, you’re my fighting partner. Not exactly antonyms!

5 Likes

yes, sparring partner is another word, who can be your (temporary) ‘opponent’ in martial arts, even though you’re friendly. Also applies to chess and shogi of course.

4 Likes

@TofuguJenny quick one for block list, can you add “light” to 当 WaniKani / Kanji / 当 I got pretty messed up on that one since it was being picked up as a typo of “right”

3 Likes

The typo algorithm accepts more than one wrong letter. Recently I confused 掲示 with 刑事 (both pronounced けいじ) and my answer ‘police’ for 掲示 was accepted as a typo of ‘notice’.
BTW ‘police’ would have been false for 刑事, as the correct answer is ‘police detective’.

3 Likes