Sentence help? And general trashy sentences thread

Quick question, I know this sentence is, well, odd to say the least as I seen this on twitter. Anyways, with あなたのお母さん同性愛者, shouldn’t there be a は in between お母さん and 同性愛者, as は indicates “Is”?

I think that sentence has more problems than a missing は :slight_smile:

4 Likes

は doesn’t actually indicate ‘is’, だ or more politely です is the ‘to be’ copula. What は does is mark the topic. Often, though, particles can disappear in casual speech, which you will find a lot of on Twitter.

Also, what @acm2010 said.

5 Likes

Really? Correcting grammar on twitter?

2 Likes

Yeah, you got that right. I got this from Pewdiepie’s twitter, and only by knowing the words “your” and “mom” I could easily guess the rest.

So basically if I’m speaking/writing a short sentence to my Japanese friends, I can omit the は just like です?

Its not uncommon to see, but since you’re a learner, they may just assume you don’t know any better.

3 Likes

You can still understand it because the sentence is very short XはY(だ) and you can still distinguish the word boundaries because you have a kana さん in between. But as a general rule omitting a だ (not です!) is grammatical, but omitting は might turn your sentence into gibberish if you don’t know what you are doing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I am, I just finished chapter 6 of Genki 1, so I’m not entirely the brightest

おまえの母さんはレズだ!
That sounds more natural. Really juvenile though. 同性愛者 sounds too formal. Others here have explained the omission of は well enough,

Is that supposed to be Sans, by the way?

1 Like

But wait…if I’m recalling correctly, the original meme is “your mom gay” so perhaps the omission of は (“is”) was purposeful? Hmm…

1 Like

Yeah, its a shitty sans

I haven’t thought about that, however some people are explaining that b/c this is a short sentence, I can omit は in general

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.