Sentence fragments/labels

Hi,
I’m a beginner learning basic grammar. I recently asked myself “how would I express a label on a jar or a sentence fragment”. Say I wanted to label a jar had “a little bit of green tea”. This is very close to the example sentence for 少し (https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/少し) , but it’s a full sentence expressing existence. I would be tempted to modify it with の although I think that’s wrong “お茶の少し” and that I’m abusing “の” here. Can anyone nudge me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Dio

I’m a bit confused as to why you’d label a jar with qualifiers like “a little”, but it’s 少しお茶. Or 少々のお茶.

1 Like

Thank you. I don’t know why I’d do it either -_- I was just asking myself questions and discovering the mountain of things I don’t know. I appreciate the help.

1 Like

The more I think about it, the more I would also just write お茶 on the label.

The general problem with writing “a little bit of tea” is that it’s more of a temporal observation than a qualifier of the content of the jar in Japanese.

少しお茶 sounds like a brand name :laughing: .

2 Likes

The problem with this is that it’s the wrong way around. In Japanese the word being modified is always at the end. For “a little tea” what we have is “tea” and we want to be more specific by saying there’s a little of it. So お茶 has to go at the end. 少し is modifying it, so it goes in front: 少しのお茶. That would be a bit weird on a label for the same reason it would be a bit weird in English, but it’s fine as a noun phrase in a larger sentence, as for example in this description of a famous historical tea ceremony between two warring states era samurai:

最初は大きい茶碗にぬるいお茶をなみなみと、次は前より少し熱くして半分ほどのお茶を、最後には小さな茶碗に熱くした少しのお茶を差しだしました。

2 Likes