Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

Yeah, it’s a tough call, but I think that would be the better location for it in the end. Like I said, though, if it ends up becoming a club at some point, I’d likely drop in and engage, even if I’ve finished the series by then. It would be a good excuse to come back and see other perspectives and to see if I misunderstood anything while reading. I mean, right now, I’m basically checking myself against the anime as I finish volumes, but that’s hardly the best way to compare. :laughing:

This is the page I was talking about that includes a few of the different fonts that you’ll see throughout the manga series. It’s on one of the Character Introduction pages at the beginning of Volume 2, and it’s definitely the worst offender for varying fonts. What I will say is that you usually won’t see these all at once. They just pop up randomly throughout the manga, with a slightly higher chance of popping up during some of the オマケ stuff.

It has the curly font that I struggle with the most, plus the handwriting font. Bonus points, it also includes the weird 五っ子-looking font, and some of the “bolded” font that is a bit tougher to read as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bonus: Another panel with handwriting that I read just the other day:

So, yeah, the fonts vary a lot more than in それでも, and some of them are harder to read than others.

5 Likes