Searching for a specific kanji book

A year ago I saw a kanji learning book where each section introduced a new kanji with lots of example sentences. The trick was that these examples only contained kanji that were already introduced and the difficulty increased with each new section/chapter.
I don’t remember the title though and have no idea how to search for it.

This might sound vague but please let me know if this sounds familiar to you. I’ll be grateful for any help.

1 Like

Maybe it’s the KLC Graded Readers?

4 Likes

“Learn to Read in Japanese” - Roger Lake and Noriklo Uta

Yes! Thank you!

1 Like

I’ll check it out!

1 Like

Would you recommend this one?
I like the KLCs but getting a story while I read would be a little more fun I think.

2 Likes

Honestly, I haven’t actually tried it. It just sits on my shelf. It looks well thought out though. It is exactly what @ustaalary described.

The textbook I think most highly of is ‘Introduction to modern Japanese’ by Bowring and Laurie (2 vols). It is however, very expensive and intended for an intensive classroom situation rather than self-study.

Honestly, I haven’t actually tried it. It just sits on my shelf. It looks well thought out though. It is exactly what @ustaalary described.

:smiley:I definitely know how that feels. I have books I bought because I got a good deal on them but not knowing enough kanji at the time, there they sit. Once I get to my goal of level 15 I am cracking them open though… finally.

The textbook I think most highly of is ‘Introduction to modern Japanese’ by Bowring and Laurie (2 vols). It is however, very expensive and intended for an intensive classroom situation rather than self-study.

Thanks for this. My issue is I am pretty much all self study. Being an introvert makes life difficult sometimes.
This is kind of why I stopped on Genki; it isn’t meant for self study so making my own sentences then spending forever trying to figure out if what I wrote/said was correct was annoying me too much. Content of Genki was great I just couldn’t get over the slow pace when trying to actually do the activities for myself.

1 Like

If you can find any sample/copy of Bowring give it a look. In volume one each chapter has a text which is meant to be intensively studied and volume two has a set of corresponding questions/problems (but no answers). So you may finds it suits a faster-paced independent study. It is, however, 100% focussed on reading - conversation, production and even pronunciation are almost ignored.

Learn to read Japanese does look quite good looking at it again. I may give it a go when I’ve finished my current round of studies.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will see if the local university may have a copy to look through first. I am not opposed to spending the money if it will help me so I appreciate the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.