Search for words containing *only* learned Kanji?

Hm, all the books I used tended to have dialogue scenes set in a company. Although yeah, words that are used in the classroom (please open the textbook, question, answer, test…) were also taught quite early on. Not much beyond that though, stuff like dorm that might be relevant for uni students I only learned outside my classes/textbooks (I think).
I don’t work in an office, so a lot of the office words I learned are words I don’t usually use xD But yeah, for most people that’s definitely useful vocabulary.

Ohhh, interesting point about the ‘common’ marker! That’s definitely something I’ll keep in mind. I think there’s also a list that’s based of what’s used online/in social media (at least for kanji), which might be interesting to also look at for reference.

The focus on specific interests might be more of a standout thing on lower levels to speed up being able to understand those things a little bit quicker. Like, all the words you mentioned are words I hadn’t come across in my regular studies yet. In the case of 沸騰 and 茹でる it’s just picking some words from slightly higher levels (N1/2 respectively) while otherwise still being at N4 or something.
And I don’t mean only look up terms related to an interest, all recipes or sports commentaries or whatever are still filled with a lot of “usual” words (wait, run, open…) haha. I’ve been going through some recipes, pick out the words I don’t understand, and add them to my vocab pile, on top of the regular studies ^^

Update: So I got a friend to build this. (It’s not on a public server (yet), so can’t share it. But would people be interested?) It’s quite rudimentary in some ways, since it initially returned a LOT of results for any given search we limited it down to just words marked as “common” in some ways. Which now apparently results in 金 being on the list, but お金 isn’t. But since there’s still wayyyy enough words, I’m not too bothered to look into it lol.

Anyway, I searched for all the JLPT N5 and N4 kanji, and then marked all the vocab results in my 10K Anki deck, which resulted in 1673 marked words. After also adding the remaining kanji from WK up to level 10 it was 3799 words. Which again, is only “common” words and not even all of those.

Since on my first run trying to learn Japanese I didn’t study any kanji (I know, bad student) I always thought it was the lack of kanji knowledge holding me back (which… it probably was lol). So seeing just how many words I could already be able to read and write now is quite cool and motivating. :smiley: (Or, alternatively, frustrating, cause I still can’t actually read/understand many of them, despite knowing the kanji lol.)

(And to anyone remarking that learning them in that order makes no sense: Yeah, for now they’re just marked, so I can make sure to require writing as well as meaning/pronounciation for them.)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.