Script to burn kanji and vocab?

I don’t know anything about programming, I’m just asking if anything exists. Someone mentioned making it invisible via auto answer or some such, that’s fine. Or some other method as well. Anything that means I wouldn’t have to put any time or effort into the things chosen and could focus on learning new ones.

I don’t see that it would be worse than the ignore script, at least you know exactly what you are not learning.

This script could also hide the stuff people don’t want on their work screens :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wouldn’t be terribly hard to implement. Add a button to review screen, which adds the question into a JSON object, stored in localstorage. Then every new question, check if said question exists in the object and either input correct answer, or just mark correct like override script does, and move on.
I’m not making it for you though.

2 Likes

We have a thread, where we can ask the users with programming skills if they would like to make certain extensions. You can find it here:

I’m not good enough at web developing atm to do something about it personally, but can see the use of such a script.

1 Like

I would not want this exact feature but I’m also interested in optimizing my time spent on WaniKani so that I can spend the remaining time elsewhere since my study time is unfortunately limited.

What I do is: I use the Anki mode script ([Userscript] WK Anki Mode) which significantly speeds up my reviews and lets me choose which content I want to focus on and which items I just always mark as correct (while still seeing them and being at least a little exposed to them).

My current approach is:

• If I get a radical wrong because I confuse it with a kanji that looks the same but has a different meaning attached, I usually mark my answer as correct.
  • I’m 100% strict on kanji meanings; if I get the meaning wrong, I mark it as failed even if that means leveling up slower. This is where I draw the line for myself.
  • I don’t care about the kanji readings; I will still try to answer them but if I get it wrong, I just move on anyway
  • For vocabulary, as long I can recognize all the kanji, I mark it as correct, even if I get the meaning or reading wrong. I think it is unnecessarily hard to learn vocabulary out of context and new words stick much better for me when I encountered them here in WaniKani and then later somewhere else “in the wild”. I don’t want to waste my time on words that I never come across elsewhere. The time will come when I remember them but it is not now and I don’t want these words to pile up as apprentice items. I do however never burn a vocabulary item that I don’t know so that it will keep coming back up again and again until I remember it, just less often.

This is not exactly what you were asking for since it is not an “auto burn” but for me it is a good compromise between making progress by being exposed to new items and not spending too much time on items that just won’t stick (or in your case: that you know already). I would not want to skip all the vocabulary because I still think it is very valuable to be exposed to these words after learning the kanji but I don’t want to spend a ton of time on it.

I might also have written a script that auto completes the quiz after lessons but since that might not be a great idea, I never shared it here… (but I would if someone wants it and is aware of the potential downsides)

3 Likes