"Saw" Radical discrepancy

Hey! Just wanted to see if anyone else had this super minor problem. On my dashboard the radical “saw” looks like this:
Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.00.04 AM

But in reviews it looks like this:
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.59.56 PM

Is this something they changed recently? In the Tsurukame app it looks like the former picture, so the mnemonic totally threw me off.

1 Like

Do you have a Japanese keyboard installed? If not, your computer might be rending it in Chinese instead, hence the difference. It should look like the bottom picture.

this one to be clear

5 Likes

In The Main dashboard it looks like this

2 Likes

It looks like a WK bug to me. If the saw radical looks Japanese on the review page but Chinese on the dashboard, then it shouldn’t matter what keyboard is installed.

2 Likes

You probably know better than I do.

@Mods :bug:

2 Likes

I can’t find the actual text / Kanji / Hanzi, even on 凡 - Wiktionary ; but for Saw page, it seems to be an image.

Anyway, it’s something technical, and supposed to be WaniKani app curator’s job.

As for third party apps (Tsurukame), it should use the API, so at least partially app developer’s responsibility.

2 Likes

It’s an image because it doesn’t exist as a character or radical in Unicode (which makes me wonder how it’s appearing on the dashboard…)

1 Like

Once I look hard enough, it exists. 巩 - Wiktionary

Ironically, it looks correct in Chinese, but not in Japanese.

Japanese

Chinese

Guess that’s why it’s an image, then. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey everyone! So, we do use an image for the radical, not text/Unicode. But I’ll check in with the team as to why it looks so different on the dashboard–thanks for pointing this out!

6 Likes

Some of our radicals are images since they may not exist. We’ll double check about the discrepancy for this radical.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.