Satogokoro --- wtf?

You win the award of best answer… and I second that!

Moonite Ninja… I like it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Calm down little trollie you might blow a gasket from how clever you think you’re being. >:)

Can you understand Argentine accent? Even For some native spanish speakers its difficult to understand.

I agree, I just would like to see more common words first… then I can sound like a Japanese Shakespeare later. Either way, I’ll still push through with Wani-Kani and school while I’m in Japan so it’s all good just found it odd… Or as mentioned a tag of some sort to explain if it’s outdated or rude like another user pointed out.

1 Like

Congrats on actually reading the replies in one of your own threads.

You should be looking up any word taught in WK on your own before you try to use it. Optimally in a monolingual dictionary. WK only teaches passive kanji comprehension.

There is a reason why I recommend core 10k breakdown, if you can deal with Anki. That is, more common words.

If you don’t want to use Anki, try iKnow.

Yeah it would be neat if WK gave a heads up whenever a word was archaic or rude. You’re not the first one complaining about their experiences using 里心, I also remember a post by an user whose Japanese teacher was really surprised after she used the word 便所 because apparently it is a pretty “rough” word, the kind old country men would use, so yeah.

1 Like

Or Chilean :S

Eh, I’ve heard people say 便所 is like saying “the john” or “the shitter” in English, as a recommendation not to use it, but there are bathrooms in my school that are labeled as 便所, so it’s clearly not that casual, at least depending on the region.

1 Like

In a Google search, 里心 had more hits than ホームシック, 郷愁, or 懐郷病. I’m just throwing that out there.

The KJV Bible is one of the most read books in the world, yet very few people actually speak that way on a daily basis; at least not for the past hundred+ years. Everyday language and what is used in literature are often very different, requiring one to understand a much broader scope of the language.

But if you want a core vocab list based on frequency counts…they are plentiful.

1 Like

You’re expecting too much from a learning resource. The only way to achieve native level conversation skills is by picking up on social cues and by people correcting you. 里心 is a proper word. You just were using for the wrong situation and there really isn’t a way to learn that other than the way you just did. This is language learning in general. I’ve heard many English learners use “weird” words because they don’t understand how they’re supposed to be used or the nuance behind them.

2 Likes

Did the corpus script being developed not address this issue? It was pretty ambitious from what I remember and probably would have helped in this case.

Actually, maybe not. My friend unintentionally insulted a person by saying he was homesick so probably an unfortunate word either way.

How do you insult someone by using the word homesick?

1 Like

He was doing some sort of homestay/volunteer program where using homesick somehow implied that the host was poor. Unfortunately he was talking to the host’s husband so between that, the language barrier, and general misunderstandings they ended up sending my friend home early.

“Young people don’t really use this word anymore. It’s more for the oldies. If you’re an oldie, go right ahead. If you’re a youngie, then talk to more oldies!”

It’s in the Vocab’s description so, I believe that this word was put there just for your acknowledgement, just saying(as other have).

1 Like

Funnily enough I have heard 便所 multiple times in JoJo no kimyou na bouken. It was used by 20ish year old guys.

Seems like it was more than just the word, but no one in their right mind hosting someone from overseas should have the expectation that that person won’t feel homesick. To assume it is an attack on your caretaking ability is just stupid.

Then again, if there was a significant language barrier, it’s hard to know how the homestay host really felt, since we’re relying on your friend’s interpretation.

1 Like

From my own perspective, I’m inclined to agree, though people are different.

Slight tangent:
While our exchange student was with us, we asked her a few times if she missed home, and she always said no. At first, I didn’t know if she was just being polite, though we emphasized from the beginning that 本音 is better than 建て前 in our house, and she seemed to take that to heart. Anyway, she and her family are very close, but I think she just really loved her time here. (She probably also enjoyed the slower pace here. At home, she is non-stop busy.)

4 Likes