Sarabrinas study log

Oh, I’ve also decided to stick around on lvl 9 for the time being (I still haven’t started my lvl 9 lessons), until I’ve lowered the amount of apprentice level items to less than 100 (there are 169 at the moment).

3 Likes

yeah ligament injury’s worrisome. I know she’s benefitting from your care, and …probably from the companionship of her fellow equines too? or is she needing to be kept away in a separate stall? Either way, I know horses can enjoy each other’s company even from separate stalls. :blush:

Super smart move! Excellent call!

1 Like

I know, and I’m so sad that this happened to him at only 3 years of age… We’ve owned him since he was a foal of only 11 months old, so it hurts really bad for him to be injured like this, with an uncertain prognosis. :cry:

He is allowed to be in a very restricted pasture, together with his aunt (our other horse) for company and we have to take him on short, daily walks.

1 Like

I finally feel like I’m starting to get into the flow of doing something every day again, while still keeping the work load at a manageable level. Daily WK & NativShark reviews and daily immersion (listening practice) by listening to a few episodes of Nihongo con Teppei. I also picked up my Gameboy Advance and started playing Pokémon Ruby (Japanese version) again yesterday, mostly for the fun (and nostalgia) of it. Today I’ve also sent some voice messages, in Japanese, to a couple of friends. So I’m feeling the motivation again! That one week “break” did me good! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

1 Like

A little update from the past few days:
So I finally had the chance to meet up with a couple of friends in the language exchange group that I created the other day, for a video call session, and it was the first time (outside of italki lessons) that I felt a flow throughout the entire conversation. I could understand mostly everything that was said (with the exception of a few words) and could understand and answer questions directly, without having to stop and think and ”translate in my head”. I’m so very happy! I know that my grammar still isn’t very advanced and I have a lot of gaps in vocabulary etc that hinder me in conversation (especially more advanced topics), but getting that feeling of flow was really, really motivating and shows that there has been actual progress. Also, I’m positive that my (almost) daily Nihongo con Teppei podcast episodes have vastly improved my listening comprehension (which, not long ago, I considered to be one of my main weak spots). Wohoo!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Summary of last week:
Last week was a good week. I finally got back into the habit and flow of practicing and progressing my Japanese skills every day. I feel that I really made some progress in speaking and listening. These were the two skills I focused the most on, too. I haven’t really gotten back into the habit of reading again though, but I think that I need an easier manga to focus on, until I get back into the flow. That’s why I ordered the second volume of Yotsuba&, it should arrive in the mail today (yay!). So for the coming week I’ll try to also focus on reading. Last week I also got back into doing daily WK and NativShark reviews. On WK I’m still focusing on reviews and taking it slow with new lessons, on NativShark I do reviews and new lessons each day. I have had a really hard time motivating myself to open a grammar text book for quite a while now (sorry GENKI II), so the NativShark way of working through new grammar points is working a lot better for me at the moment. Also, I try to listen to grammar videos in Japanese at least once a week. I want to get into doing Miku Sensei’s shadowing audios regularly again, but I need to prepare the lessons and transfer them as audio files to my phone in order for it to happen (I’ve noticed that I just don’t have time to do the shadowing audios if I have to do them by the computer, it’s easier to get the time to do them if I multi-task and listen and shadow while doing other house/farm chores). So, I guess another goal for this week will be to prepare the shadowing audios so that I can get into shadowing as a daily habit. I think that that is a habit that would really help to improve my Japanese, and since Miku sensei combines new grammar points with shadowing to practice new vocab, sentences and pronunciation, it will also be a great way to learn and practice new grammar (I remember that Miku Sensei’s shadowing audios really, really helped me with the て-form conjugations. I was struggling quite a bit to remember them in the beginning). Here’s to another week and hopefully even more progress! :grin:

2 Likes

Progress tracking (28 september-4 october):

WK lessons & reviews
Speak Japanese
Read manga
Italki lesson
GENKI II
Watch anime/TV-show
Practice shadowing
Watch grammar lesson in Japanese
Play a game in Japanese
Listen to Japanese podcast
HelloTalk moment diary entry (voice recording/text)
Listen to Japanese music
Vocab SRS (Anki/Memrise)
Nativshark lessons & reviews
Watch Youtube videos in Japanese w/o subtitles
4 Likes

This is great progress!! And thank you for the tip about improving listening comprehension via Nihongo con Teppei daily podcasts. :grinning:

1 Like

ありがとう!!とんでもないよ!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I finally got into reading manga again and am currently reading Yotsuba& vol. 2, which I feel is the perfect level for me at the moment. This morning I speed read through chapter 1 and could actually understand everything (except a couple of words) without looking anything up. What a cool feeling!! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Volume two’s a great one. After the struggles of volume one, you start to get settled on the basics, and volume two keeps it relatively simple until the last chapter. Then comes the later volumes where you have chapters with the grown-ups having conversations, and those always lost me…

2 Likes

Awesome!!! :grinning:

1 Like

Progress update:
So, last week I kept up with my “practice some Japanese skill every day” plan. I kept up with my NativShark reviews (didn’t break my current streak) but did slow down with my WK reviews and put it in vacation mode, from time to time, to give myself the time to catch up with the review pile. My life outside of Japanese studies is still busy, especially since my one horse is still injured and being rehabilitated (for who knows how long still), which is really taking a toll on me emotionally. Therefore, I’m lowering my expectations on my Japanese studies for the time being. I still listen to Japanese podcasts almost daily and keep working through my reviews, this week I’ll also join my conversation club again for some speaking practice and have my next italki-lesson booked for Sunday. Just keep swimming! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Progress tracking (12 october - 18 october):

WK lessons & reviews
Speak Japanese
Read manga
Italki lesson
GENKI II
Watch anime/TV-show
Practice shadowing
Watch grammar lesson in Japanese
Play a game in Japanese
Listen to Japanese podcast
HelloTalk moment diary entry (voice recording/text)
Listen to Japanese music
Vocab SRS (Anki/Memrise)
Nativshark lessons & reviews
Watch Youtube videos in Japanese w/o subtitles
4 Likes

(Ah man…I’m keeping you and your dear horse in my thoughts as the rehab progresses. :cherry_blossom:)

1 Like

Thank you so, so much!! :two_hearts:

1 Like