Sakubun - A tool to get customized kanji practice (integrates with WaniKani)

This is great, I love it.

The first sentence I got, was:
私はドイツ語は読めるが話せない。
and it happens to be true :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve made some major reforms in the quiz readings - it no longer uses kuroshiro for this. I tried a bunch of different Japanese tokenizers, trying to find which one worked best, and found one (SudachiPy) that seemed to work pretty well. Of course, this one isn’t perfect either, and I was able to notice a bunch of errors (for example, in some names like 高山).

But overall, this means that on average, the quality of readings should be better than before. The readings are not generated on the client anymore, but are pre-generated on the server.

I’ve also added support for multiple correct answers. For example, if the question has katakana, the answer will be evaluated as correct even if it’s written entirely in hiragana. Feel free to use the report option if you want to suggest an additional correct reading for a question.

3 Likes

This is fantastic! It’s perfect for someone like me, who knows a decent amount of kanji, but not really enough to read regular materials with confidence. Thank you for making this.

I had one small suggestion I was hoping you could implement. When the answer is entered incorrectly, instead of showing the entirety of the user typed in red, would it possible to only show the incorrect parts in red so as to more easily spot the mistakes?

For example if the sentence was: 人は社会的動物である。
And I typed: ひとはかいしゃてきどうぶつである。

Could it show (I’ll just use bold here since I can’t type in color): ひとはしゃかいてきどうぶつである。

1 Like

It’s seems to be down at the moment? :hammer_and_wrench:

Ah, thanks for letting me know, it’s back up now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion! I think that’s a great idea, so I’ve implemented it - this is how it should look now.

I’ve also improved keyboard support - you can press enter to start the quiz or go to the next question, without having to focus the input/button, and the dropdown menus are more tab-friendly.

2 Likes

Happy to help! I tried it out and it seems to be working.

I wonder if it wouldn’t look better if there wasn’t any green text when an error was made. Since we are using green to indicate correct answers, having green when it’s incorrect could be confusing. Maybe the errors in what the user typed would still be highlighted red (as you have it now), but the correct answer below it would just be black and maybe the differences would be in bold or something?

What do you think?

1 Like

You make a good point, but it doesn’t look distinct enough when making it bold imo. When the color is different, the mistakes catch the eye more easily. So I made it yellow - what do you think?

Yeah with some Japanese fonts bold is not very noticeable.

The yellow is definitely an improvement over than the green, but from a design perspective, yellow doesn’t work. Yellow text with black background is not so easy for everyone to read, and on the white theme it won’t be visible at all.

A subtle 30-40% opacity red highlight/background color might work well here.

1 Like

Okay yeah, you’re right - the yellow doesn’t contrast well. I tried different shades and opacities of red highlight and foreground, but I couldn’t really settle on something that stood out well enough (some shades stood out too much). The motive behind the original green was that the letters in green are the correct letters which the user needs to have input, and the red letters are the incorrect letters the user did input.

For now I think I’ll revert it to the green which had better contrast, but I think I’ll add a color picker option or something later, so that people can pick their own colors for the errors.

Personally, I’d be happy with simple bold and underline to indicate the correct letters, but I definitely get the idea behind the green letters to indicate the correct responses. A color picker really sounds like the best way to let people decide what works best for them.

Even without all the colors and everything, what you’ve done here is absolutely fantastic, and I can’t thank you enough for providing such a useful tool.

2 Likes

Alright, I’ve added the color pickers so you should now be able to configure the colors and underlines.

2 Likes

The underline works, but when you select a color it just reverts back to default. (I’m using Google Chrome, Mac OSX)

this is fantastic U:
i was waiting till i cleared level 10 to start practicing reading since that’s when i’d know most of the N5 kanji but now i can start much earlier now
thank you so much for all the work you’ve put into this!

1 Like

@eclipse77x ah okay, can you check if it works properly now?

@jaxmp I’m glad you like it!

Thank you SO MUCH for making this. It’s one thing to learn words and grammar, but being able to see them generated in context, at the right level, makes this so much better!
Now I’ll definitely practice reading more😁

1 Like

Works great! Thanks again for making this!

1 Like

suddenly getting

Error code 500

on pc and phone

after clicking begin

Ah, thanks for letting me know - can you check if it’s working normally now?

Working again, thanks.
and it’s an opportunity to thank you for this much needed app.
Should be part of WK
well done

1 Like