Rylie's (inconsistent) Study Log✨

Well, hello there. This is not my first attempt at a study log, but the old one got, well, old. I didn’t use it and it contained my old username aka my deadname all over it. So I decided to just let it be and start a new one. I’ve only just returned to studying Japanese anyway.

I will shortly introduce myself. My name is Rylie, I’m currently 23 years old and my pronouns are they/them. I live and work in Germany, but I dream about a life on the roads, travelling the world. I am OBSESSED with languages, I tried to teach myself Hiragana for the first time when I was about 7-8 years old. I have ADHD so consistancy is something I struggle with a lot. This log is meant to be one of the many tools that (try to) keep me accountable.

Besides using WaniKani I also own GENKI I (text- and workbook), Practice Makes Perfect “Complete Japanese Grammar” and “Japanisch für Manga-Fans” by Thora Kerner and Jin Baron. (A german manga which teaches you Japanese. It’s very down to the basics and doesn’t really go into details as much as I’d like to, so I’m not really using it to teach new things, but to review my knowledge.) I emphasize on the phrase “own” because so far I havent really worked with them too much. My goal right now is to reach around level 16 on WK before actually studying N5 grammar. I know from my English learning experience that grammar is something I don’t struggle much with. I usually just “get used to it” if you know what I mean. So before indulging into that I want to make sure I know enough vocabulary and - because of Kanji - their pronounciation. On the side I also use Duolingo every now and then. I hate that they just throw the most complicated Kanji at you without even considering Furigana, but I like the gamification and find it to be a good tool to practice what you’ve already learned. They also implemented a new stories feature into the Japanese course which is really really cool. My reading comprehension is not that great yet, but I still had fun following one of the conversations.
After completing the N5 level I slowly want to start implementing more Japanese content into my daily life. Which basically means I’m gonna switch my Switch (lol) to Japanese to play Animal Crossing and Pokemon the way it was supposed to be. I really can’t wait for that. I also already bought two manga in Japanese which I really can’t read yet, but I use them as a kind of motivation tool.
Right now I have a pile of almost 600 reviews to do. As you might have guessed it’s been a while. But I can’t wait to start again. I don’t know why but Japanese brings me such joy.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.