ロウェナの学習ログ・(Rowena's Study Log)

Clearly it needs a する at the end to make it a verb.

「来週の計画を準備する」

(I’m not certain if this is serious response on my part.)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I swapped a の for a を to mark the object of the verb.

1 Like

Cheers!

World domination by SRS intervals…

3 Likes

Still not there yet.
interval
My SRS must be broken.

3 Likes

Another rough week with me doing half of my textbook studies just this weekend to catch up and keep to my schedule.

I only got 2 pages of にゃんにゃん done this past week, but have greatly improved on how I do my digital note-taking which should save a lot of time going forward, especially as regards the 2nd edit (redacting) before posting to the forum - the previous method was so onerous I didn’t bother posting the 2nd half of my notes for last week :tired_face:.

Next week’s plan:

4 Likes

Current SRS standings: WK lvl 20; Kitsun lvl 6; BunPro lvl 17

I have pulled back on my BunPro and Kitsun SRS studies to just one new item on each platform per day, but may increase again if my brain feels like it is handling the workload better once more.

I got all of my textbook work done last week, but only managed 4 pages of にゃんにゃん探偵団, so will need to pick up the pace soon to not get left behind but am only planning a page per day next week (which will still nearly double what I got done this past week).

I had a grammar ephiphany this past week: I have known for years (decades, cough, cough) that there were two groups of verbs referred to as ichidan and godan, and I have to confess that I have been waiting all this while for the other grammatical shoe to drop, for me to be far-enough-progressed in my studies that I finally get introduced to the much more complex nidan, sandan, and yondan verb groups. I got tired of waiting on Monday and Googled the ‘why’ of the names ichidan and godan; I feel a little silly, but also relieved to know that there aren’t any more verb groups lurking in the shadows :sweat_smile:.

Next week’s study plan is the last for the year:

11 Likes

Current SRS standings: WK lvl 20; Kitsun lvl 6; Bunpro lvl 20

I have reached the 2/3rds mark in the Genki I & II vocab deck, and am hoping the keigo and long set phrases are coming to an end soon so I can increase my lesson load again:
Annotation 2019-12-29 081424

After several rough weeks, I finally returned to enjoying studying Japanese again on Friday :grin:. It has been very much a case of ‘must do’ rather than ‘get to do’ for more than a month now - what a difference it makes in getting stuff done and in retaining lessons now that I’m back in good health and good spirits!

I have devised a new way of doing my native reading material studies:

1. Type out the whole 2-page spread word for word, allowing the IME to insert kanji where the book has none. This removes a lot of ambiguity and makes me realise I can actually read much of it.
  2. Copy and paste the whole lot into Google translate and see how badly mangled it is - so far, not too bad, but there is always some weirdness. This generally just gives me the added confidence that I am on the right track.
  3. Now that I have it typed, it is easy to copy and paste unknown bits into Jisho / ichi.moe for further clarification/anaylsis. These bits get highlighted and defined as before.
  4. Type out a reasonable transliteration/translation below each line of typed Japanese text. This last step has really pushed me to do a better job of coming to grips with the grammar.

A sample page (with redactions to protect copyright):

It’s not quite the New Year, but it is the beginning of a new quarterly plan for my textbook studies:

And the Week 1 study plan for the new quarter / year:

9 Likes

Ack, who revealed my super-secret technique to the world? The one thing extra I’d add to your list to properly reflect how I’ll use this technique is if there are multiple possible kanji listed in the IME, and I don’t recognize the correct one from context, I’ll leave it hiragana. Then, hope that either Google Translate will suggest the correct kanji, or that I’ll be able to figure it out from what’s listed in ichi.moe.

2 Likes

I only initially did it to make a line-by-line transliteration, but then saw that the IME was subbing in kanji and the lightbulb went on :bulb:. And yes, if there are multiple possibilities suggested, I do leave it alone 'til I better understand what it all means.

2 Likes

Current SRS standings: WK lvl 21; Kitsun lvl 7; Bunpro lvl 22.

In WK, I’m using the seanblue’s Lesson Filter script, and after running out of vocab lessons 2 months ago, I adjusted my lessons ratio from 3 rads/kanji : 8 vocab to 4 rads/kanji : 7 vocab. Well, I now have the opposite problem; because I was levelling up 3 days faster and doing less vocab overall, I’m now in the situation where I have just started lvl 21 but am still finishing off lvl 19 vocab. I looked at the numbers again and taking my surplus vocab into account, the ratio of 3:8 should work for me now for some time to come, and if/when I run out at some point, I’ll just take it easy for a couple of days!

I am deeply grateful that the lovely group of people with whom I am reading にゃんにゃん探偵団 have accommodated my need for a slower pace for the last case - I think I would be panic-stricken trying to keep up with the originally proposed reading schedule of 12-13 pages a week.

I fell behind a bit on textbook work, so I’ve got a bit extra to do today to catch up, otherwise things are going well. Here’s next week’s study plan:

6 Likes

My spouse just asked me if I could read this (from an airplane magazine) - while I had to look up the meanings of the 2nd and 3rd pairs, I could sound out the whole lot! I’m feeling rather chuffed :blush:

平和 へいわ Peace
友情 ゆうじょう Friendship
正義 せいぎ Justice

7 Likes

I tried to read it from the top-right going down…

13 Likes

Thank god I wasn’t the only one

9 Likes

That’s how I started too, but even before starting to try to read I was confused by the fact there were not just 4 characters.

2 Likes

Frustratingly, the article doesn’t directly address the use of these kanji on each of its 6 pages, but the article is about the British Commonwealth Occupation Force, so we are supposing it was their motto (which might go a long way to explain the reading direction…)

1 Like

It turns out I perhaps shouldn’t have needed to look up that last pair of kanji, as they feature prominently in my “Welcome to level 21” email from こういち先輩. I guess that’s why SRS is a thing - you need to see it more than once to remember it (or in my case, to even remember that you’ve seen it).

From the email:

You can look forward to kanji like 敵 (enemy), 増 (increase), and 義 (righteousness)––which is one half of 正義 (justice).

I look forward to our time together in death.

2 Likes

@Kyasurin - are you safe? Don’t know whereabouts you live but just read the Baldivis fire is moving rapidly north.

2 Likes

Thank you for thinking of me. I live quite centrally in Perth, but am actually currently in Taipei. :sweat_smile:
It is the worst summer ever for fires though. :sob:

2 Likes

Good to hear you’re very safe and that you shouldn’t be coming home to cinders! Enjoy your time away!

2 Likes

Last week’s plan went up in flames on day one, pretty much (assorted internal and external factors).

I have stopped all 3 SRSs. I am now behind in にゃんにゃん探偵団.

This week’s plan is to actually finish last week’s plan with particular focus on getting caught up with the book club. If things are going well, I will restart the SRSs.

7 Likes

I have caught back up to speed with the book club (I had to - the current (slower) schedule is the one I begged for, so it would be shameful to not finish the book with everyone else). It is quite satisfying to do when it is going well (it seems like the only place I get to actually apply what I’m learning), but it is time-consuming (n+10 instead of n+1 learning), so I’m toying with dropping out of the next scheduled read to have more time for non-Japanese bits of my life, and to stay away from book clubs until I have at least finished both Genki I and Shin Nihongo no Kiso I which should be about the end of June.

I took WK off vacation mode yesterday and am only doing reviews until I catch back up (it took a day and a half to realise I needed VM). The other SRSs are still on vacation until I start doing lessons in WK.

Next week’s informal plan is to finish にゃんにゃん探偵団 and to finish off left over pages from the mess that was the last two weeks of text and workbook studies.

6 Likes