River = kawa, alternate mnemonic

I don’t readily think of “kawa” from the word “cow”

Instead, I imagine the Kawasaki corporation having a big factory and dumping all of its pollution in the river. This makes it easy for me.

Sorry if anyone here works for Kawasaki, no insult intended :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I mean all industries dump pollutants into rivers, so I don’t think that’s a stretch. And as for mnemonics, you can and should use the ones you’re most comfortable with ^-^ WK’s mnemonics are just one of the many possibilities.

1 Like

すごい!ありがとうございます!

1 Like

I did the same. I mean Kawasaki fits perfectly and can be used for future mnemonics. For the life of me I don;t get the connection with cow… what accent is that???

1 Like

You should look up the kanji for Kawasaki. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s not meant to be exactly the same sound. It’s just meant to be a memory trigger. Just like how ‘two’ is used often as mnemonic for a つ reading even though they don’t sound the same.

Awesome alternative! I’m happy I just burned the Kanji this week but now I am waiting for the vocab!

1 Like

I’ve always used…

6 Likes

yeah, I changed that one too :flushed: TBH some of the WK mnemonics set me up to fail in that regard. To each their own though… as long as it works.

1 Like

I am a cow, and I’m insulted that you don’t use me as mnemonic.

5 Likes

I’m a Skip Beat fan so even if 川 wasn’t incredibly easy for me to remember I can’t help but always think of this. Even if it’s not really a mnemonic it just sticks out in my mind and all I really need to remember is かわ <D

I use “Car Wash” for “kawa”

1 Like

You wash your car by driving it through a river?

1 Like

Only in the kani realm

3 Likes

In Norwegian, to “kave” is the motions you do when you’re panic-ing in water. Like if you accidentally fell into a river you would “kave” for a bit before beginning to swim / float. In past tense “kave” turns to “kava”, which is pronounced like the Japanese “Kawa” (At least in my dialect).

1 Like

How to learn Japanese:

1. Learn Norwegian
  2. Learn Japanese

:+1:

6 Likes

For some reason, the “kawa” pronunciations in my head all turn into “Kawa kawa kawa kawa Kawa Chameleon~” which is. Not exactly how the song goes, but at least I can easily think of chameleons chilling by the river.

1 Like

…you come and go (to the river), you come and go (to the river)… :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.