River kanji

Ugh, I’ve only seen it as ひたい up to now so I feel like it’ll be really annoying when I get there. That’s good to know now at least, though I’m sure I’ll answer ひたい a bunch of times anyway.

I don’t necessarily blame them for going with “picture frame.” I’m pretty sure ひたい is more of an “anatomical” term than the more colloquial おでこ that people are more likely to encounter to mean forehead. This is a perfect case for using the override script.

It’s about as specific as 後頭部 or 大腿四頭筋, normal people don’t use it (in this case, the former still more than the latter), so yeah, can’t blame WK.

I’m having the same issue with (nine). The reading mnemonic stated to think about cute (kyuu) but refuses to take that answer as the reading. Instead I guess I need to type (ku). Honestly, if WaniKani is going to quiz us and give two possible answers, it should accept either.

As an addendum my team at work is Japanese and whenever I hear them mention a nine, they pronounce it (kyuu) and never (ku) [which WaniKani is forcing me to put].

Either should be accepted. What happens when you try? Both are listed on the item page.

That’s weird, I always put kyuu for 九. Are you sure you’re putting ‘kyuu’ (きゅう) (small ゅ) and not ‘kiyuu’ (big ゆ)?

Agree with the two above regarding きゅう. Make sure you’re not typing kiyuu by mistake.

Also, there are certain vocabulary words (九時, 九月, etc.) where you specifically have to use the く reading and not きゅう, which is why both readings exist.

@ctmf you may be correct. i will have to pay attention the next time i put it in. There is a good possibility that I was fingering kiyuu and not kyuu >.>

Next chance i get will be tomorrow.

It would have been useful before when WK marked me wrong for ~台 = “counter for machines”, even though ~人 = “counter for people” is accepted. I guess they can’t write in every single synonym, so if I don’t have to worry about choosing a wrong one my reviews should be less stressful lol.

1 Like

Hrmm, I’m not sure that`s the case. After all, many kanji have multiple KUN and ON readings.

I recommend focusing on the meaning of each Kanji. Then focus on learning actual words/composite kanji. You’ll eventually remember the readings as time goes on.

Here is an incomplete list of words where it is wrong to say きゅう.

九月 (くがつ September)
十九日 (じゅうくにち 19th of the month)
二十九日 (にじゅうくにち 29th of the month)
9時 (くじ 9 o’clock)
9時間 (くじかん 9 hours)
9位 (くい 9th place)

3 Likes

I know the numbers themselves aren’t accepted. (9) Nor are obvious typo’s. :frowning:

What does that have to do with the substance of what I was talking about? Those weren’t (all) words here on WK. They’re just words in the Japanese language.

The meanings are far easier I agree. When I hit the 2nd level of Kanji 160 I learned the meanings fairly quickly but was far slower on learning an actual word to go with them because there were so damned many to choose from. lol

I have no idea how accurate the rule of thumb is but what I was taught was a standalone Kanji is usually represented by the Japanese word while if the kanji is alongside another then the Chinese sound is used. Of course rules are always going to be general rules not absolute, there is too much variation in what is used with no rules to guide us, only experience. I just latched onto it a bit as a way to narrow down which name to give the kanji that I was learning when a choice needed to be made.

Talking about what the program doesn’t accept? 9 is exactly the same as nine but it one is correct and one is wrong here.

Okay…? That’s answered in the FAQ. The system checks how far off something was when it doesn’t exactly match and it’s very easy for numerals to be way off from each other while not being that different in the actual content of the digits.

1 Like

In the FAQ it says it can’t tell the difference between 1000 and 10000. If it can’t tell the difference between 9 and 8 it should say that also, because that’s not the same thing.

Like @Leebo said, the system checks how far off you were. The case of 1k vs 10k has 2 different kanji (千 vs 万) so they need to know that you can distinguish them. You can always add your own synonyms for words like 二台 if it matters, but WK can only know what you type, not what you’re intending to.

The system can tell if an extra 0 is in there, and it knows the difference between 8 and 9. The problem is that when it comes to numbers, they are only one digit apart. For example, if the correct answer is “9 days” and I type “8 days”, WK will see that they are only one digit apart, give me the benefit of the doubt, and mark me correct. “Nine” and “eight” on the other hand have many digits that are different, so WK will mark you incorrect.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.