Ringotan - Free app for learning how to WRITE kanji

Please go into the settings and make sure both types of audio are turned on and the volume is all the way up. Also make sure the system volume is turned all the way up (using the physical volume buttons on the side of the device).

Let me know if you still have issues… though I have no idea how I’d debug that without a physical iPad, because it works in the iPad emulator.

1 Like

Kk.

Everything is set up correctly- I double checked on my phone- so it turns out that it’s my iPad. Works with headphones on so I need to do some tinkering on my end.

Thanks! :blush:

1 Like

I wouldn’t assume that anyone would know how to draw the kanji they know, especially if they haven’t drawn kanji before. It is nice to offer the option to start at the level you are on for sure, but don’t know if that matches to experience of most people on WK.

1 Like

Hey Petekachu, thanks for trying Ringotan out!

I wouldn’t assume that anyone would know how to draw the kanji they know, especially if they haven’t drawn kanji before

I agree, which is why I went out of my way to not make that assumption. On the intro screen, it asks

How many kanji can you read AND write

followed by

You can write the following kanji:

with a list of kanji the user should verify they know how to write. Just because you’re on level 60 in Wanikani doesn’t mean you’ll start on level 60 in Ringotan - which is fine!

1 Like

somehow the app tells me i have reviews but I can’t do those only lessons :thinking:
I mean when I go to “Study” it tells me I have seven new lessons and it tells me I have 0 reviews but after that in Parentheses it says “of 43 total”, but there is only the lesson button not the reviews only button…

anyone else having this problem on android?

1 Like

Also downloaded thank you !Ive tried loads of apps so I hope this ones the one!

1 Like

Hey, I’ve been using your app every day for a few months now, and was wondering if I might make a suggestion to allow us to fine tune our lesson queue.

Currently there are only 3 settings of 7, 9 and 11 I think, but I would like to be able to set it to potentially any number but definitely lower numbers, 3 for example. Is there a way this setting could be changed to just allow custom number input?

1 Like

This is the expected behavior if you started to learn some kanji but never finished them. It gives you those kanji first so you can finish learning them prior to your reviews.

However there should still be a “review only” button if you’d prefer to just review. If you’d like to stop learning the new kanji, start a new lesson with them and choose “set to ‘unknown’” in the hamburger menu in the upper-right.

In my testing, a lesson size of 3 (with no other reviews alongside it) doesn’t work very well. There’s not enough time between being quizzed with a hint and being quizzed with no hints for the kanji to leave your short-term memory.

However if you really want lesson sizes that small, you can go into custom review and choose however many kanji you’d like to learn at once. You can filter by “unlearned” in the filter menu.

Yeah that makes sense to me, personally I just do kanji lessons on your app after I do them in wanikani, and I learn 3 kanji a day in wanikani so usually I have to wait 3+ days to learn 9 new kanji before I do a lesson session in ringotan, but sometimes if the order is blocked due to waiting on radicals I can be stuck up to a week.

However, I didn’t know that doing them in custom review added them as learned, so I might just do that.

1 Like

Wow… this looks pretty good. I’m trying it now. Thanks.

1 Like

I set them all to unknown, but I still have no button to do reviews and still no “reviews only” button.

1 Like

Would you mind exporting a backup in the settings, and posting it to http://help.ringotan.com?

I got this app when it was first announced to come out in beta and would be free, and I downloaded it again but I don’t even see anywhere where you can purchase it. Is it just free forever?

It’s still in beta and still free forever for anyone who downloads now. However I plan on charging for it eventually.

2 Likes

It might just be me, but it seems even more useful and easy to use than it was before. I thank you very much for your service to all Japanese learners!

3 Likes

I almost gave up on finding a modern writing practice app for iOS with WaniKani support and then there is this thread.
Ringotan is really great, even though its just a few weeks old on iOS.
I’m looking forward to seeing where this app goes!

3 Likes

i’ve been using ringotan since shortly after it released for IOS, and it’s working well. thank you for the work you put into it!

i’ve got one cosmetic bug to report:
i use my phone in dark mode, and in the selection menus in settings, ringotan seems to use the default (dark mode) styling.

it would be nice to have these match the light mode of ringotan, or else to have a dark mode for ringotan.

besides this, absolutely would recommend ringotan ^^

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve added this as a bug here.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I’ve started using this app for my university studies and it is absolutely invaluable. The search function in particular is amazing; I thought that I would have to search kanji one by one, but I can just input the entire sentence (kana and all) and then I can pick out that week’s kanji as a custom review session (I don’t know if this is intended but it definitely sped up my homework session so thank you!).

Just a couple quick questions: do you have any info on the SRS stage timings (i.e. are they the same as WK)? And is/will there be an option to adjust them in future releases or do a quiz on kanji you’ve already ‘sensei’d’?

I’m worried that I’ve already forgotten my ‘burned’ stuff haha would be good to do review them again

1 Like