Ringotan - Free app for learning how to WRITE kanji

Is it possible to add the ability to go in jouyou/kanken order? Since I would like to pair this with the 3DS kanken game.

AFAIK Jouyou doesn’t have a specific ordering. Both the JLPT and Kanken go by approximately grade-school level, so the “JLPT” ordering in the app should be about the same.

If that doesn’t work, do you know of a freely usable, ordered kanji list for that 3DS game?

JPLT goes by JLPT order though, right? Not the grade level? 林, for example, is a first grade kanji but it is a JLPT N2 kanji, so it would be between 700 and 1000th learned rather than within the first 80.

I know you can get an easily downloadable file here for the first the jouyou kanji, and if you are okay with a website, then that has all of the kanji beyond jouyou. Although, you can shortcut the with having the jinmeiyou kanji as 準1級 and the rest of the kanji (mostly overlapping with JIS level 2) as 1級.

True; however that’s a rare exception. I originally had a “grade level” sorting but removed it because it was nearly identical to JLPT. If people think it would be helpful I could re-add it, though.

For the kanji lists, I meant a list for that game specifically. I already have the orderings for grade-school kanji (it’s used to sub-order the kanji in the JLPT list).

The game uses kanken order which is the same as the grade order, except that that the middle school kanji are broken up into 4 separate levels. I thought the previous file covered it, but I see it doesn’t. Here is a file that does (though again, it only covers the jouyou kanji).

But each of those grades has 100-300 kanji in them, with no specified sub-order within each grade, so it would likely result in an ordering that’s massively different from the game.

The game doesn’t have individual kanji ordering, just tests by level. The game is just a collection questions and mock kanken exams for each level. I just want to learn how to write them and do practice examinations with the game.

I’ve added Kanji Kentei (kanken) as a lesson plan in v0.16

1 Like

Awesome, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I encountered a bug when playing around with the “custom review” menu where if you scroll down far enough it will lag very badly.

1 Like

Yes this is a known bug. Unfortunately it’s a framework bug with no known workarounds, so there’s not much I can do to fix it.

1 Like

As an iPad/iOS user, this is exactly what I need to power up my kanji knowledge. I’d also be totally down to pay for it if it became available on the App Store. Any update on a possible release date?

1 Like

Excellent. Downloading now. We write kanji several times in school but it’s up to us to continue practice on our own, which I never do. When I fill out forms I do them in Acrobat, if I’m able to fill them out in advance, to avoid having to write kanji :grimacing:

1 Like

Please sign up for the newsletter for the latest updates!

I recently bought an iPhone and Mac Mini to work on the iOS version, and have been spending most of my free time working on it. Stay tuned!

7 Likes

I’ve started using this today to practice the kanji we learn in class (as opposed to just my WK progress), so I’m searching for kanji manually in Custom Review. A few issues I’ve noticed:

• The text color and the background of the search entry box are both white. This could just be an issue with my device but I assume you have some level of control over this?
  • Searching by actual kanji doesn’t seem to work. It just returns all kanji.
  • Searching by kana input doesn’t work sometimes. If I enter ぐ for example it seems to filter the kanji, but if I enter し it seems to just return all kanji.

Therefore the only way I can consistently search for kanji is by entering romaji, which means I need to cross-reference WaniKani to find out which level the kanji is in so I’m not scrolling through hundreds of kanji with the same reading.

This is on Android (phone).

1 Like

Thanks for the report! I added these as bugs in the ticketing system here, here, and here.

If you don’t mind sharing, what brand of phone and OS version are you using? Is it unlocked? Do you use dark mode?

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G w/ Android 12 on dark mode, not rooted.

1 Like

I think it would be nice if the app considered ignored incorrect answers as voided answers, like most SRS apps do, rather than switching them to correct answers. Most of the times I ignore an incorrect answer are when something unrelated to memory occurs, like accidentally lifting the stylus off the screen before finishing a stroke, fingertips touching the edges of the screen so the app considers it a new stroke, etc. If I get 50% through writing a kanji and one of the above situations occurs, it doesn’t mean I wrote the entire kanji correctly, but it also doesn’t mean I wrote or remembered it incorrectly, so I want to be tested again without being forced to take an SRS level reduction.

1 Like

The iOS version has been released!

10 Likes

Nice! In the email announcement you listed some issues but I didn’t see anything about audio. As in I can’t hear anything.

I’m using an iPad Air.

1 Like