Ringotan - Free app for learning how to WRITE kanji

Is there any way you could point me in the direction of the Anki deck you’re using for writing?

Also, I have iOS so I can’t use this app yet, but I’ll definitely give it a shot once it’s available.

2 Likes

Not who you asked, but I’ve found this deck to be superior to everything else I’ve tried: Complete Jouyou Kanji Writing Deck ("Kanken Deck") Part 1 - AnkiWeb Context sentences, audio, (images), stroke order, it has it all. Much better than writing kanji based on english keywords.

4 Likes

I use this deck! [Version 1.05 | 2016-01-31] Anki deck for kanji writing practice

It’s in Wanikani order & uses Wanikani’s meanings, which I like because I don’t want to learn how to write something I can’t read, though that’s probably not an issue for you since you’re level 60. (Also I don’t really know how to use Anki lol so it’s super low effort.)

@morteASD’s deck looks really cool too!

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I also want to learn how to write in Kanji but I am having a difficult time. Well, this app will probably change my life. Anyways, will definitely download this. It is a good thing that I stumble upon this thread. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for this app ! I find it very useful. I started from the beginning, and even if I already knew hiraganas and katakanas, it has helped me correct the way I was drawing them.
I like that it is compatible with Wanikani levels.

Otherwise, I agree with d-hermit that I would like to see my actual drawing in addition to the “correct” drawing.

But it is very good job, thanks a lot for sharing that !

1 Like

I have a question: would it be possible to hide the English words completely? Or at least give a much longer wait time before they fade in, and not bring them up on the answer screen unless I’ve hit the wait time amount? I’m enjoying the app, but using it with English words isn’t something I’ll do long-term.

1 Like

That’s funny, I was going to suggest the exact opposite. Not because I’m interested in always seeing the translation, but because it’s a good way to know which kanji you’re asked to draw when there are so many homophones. I’ve started from the beginning, and I always wait for the English translation for ひ and し because there are at least two kanji that would fit each pronunciation. Maybe there’s another way to be unambiguous though, like maybe by using context sentences?

2 Likes

Oh, but you can already do that, right? In the settings, you can change the wait time to 0 seconds, I think.

2 Likes

Huh, I’d never noticed. Thanks for pointing that out, I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

I have plans for something similar, but not exactly this. Ticket here.

Hah, this used to be a feature, but I removed it because of the “too many homophones” issue mentioned by @omk3. However, since there are now more word-prompts to choose from, that’s less of an issue.

I’ve added a ticket here. As a temporary workaround, you can set the fade-in time to 5 seconds in the options.

There’s already a lot of solutions for this!

• You can set the fade-in time to 0 in the options (mentioned by @valkow above)
  • If you click on the word-prompt, it will show the English definition immediately
  • You can select a different word prompt by swiping or using the arrows (the app will remember your choice)
  • In the options, you can choose to show 2 word prompts at once
3 Likes

Thank you! I do have it set to 5s, but I often want to look between the kanji and the (Japanese) words after writing, and the English seems to pop up automatically upon result. Also, 5s ends up being surprisingly short while I’m writing. Unrelated, but I second what someone said above about the Chinese coding, having just gotten to 朝. However, I very much appreciate the multiple word prompt option! That is currently my favorite thing about your app. :grin:

1 Like

Ahh, this should’ve been fixed in 0.14! Did I miss a spot in the app that uses Chinese encoding? If so, could you post a screenshot?

(also, please check you’re running 0.14, in the lower-right of the main screen)

I did a review session to check, and it does seem to be fixed for me now! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you! I feel silly for not having discovered these options myself, they were right there. I really love the multiple word prompts, and now that I know they’re available, I too would like the option to remove the English translation.
To add my two cents to the “show what I draw or not” debate, I really like your approach. With apps that show my actual strokes, I’m often left wondering whether it’s close enough or not. Here, I always get a good looking result, and I can judge for myself when my finger was somewhat off so that I can correct it next time, without having to look at a misshapen kanji.
All in all, I’m really happy with this app, it’s just what I needed. Coordination with Wanikani and the multiple word prompts are definitely my favourite features.

1 Like

would it be possible to get a windows version of it? For using a Drawing Tablet.

1 Like

The library I use (Xamarin) supports Windows Store, so it’s possible. However it’s a very low priority for me, because it’s a lot of work for something I don’t think there will be much interest for.

Nice ! Good to know :slight_smile: Good luck !

1 Like

I’ve added this to the The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List! under the Writing section :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes