Ringo, a WaniKani Companion for OS X

awesome, exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you man!!

Awesome job :wink:

mousoucarnival said... Unlikely, I'm sure, but I was just wondering if there's any chance this will ever become backwards compatible?  
Regrettably my machine was JUST cut off from Mountain Lion, and with this requiring 10.8+, I'm pretty much out of luck with 10.7.5!  Either way it looks fantastic - I'll add it to my piling list of reasons to upgrade my hardware. (笑)
A large portion of Ringo's functionality rides on Mountain Lion's Notifications feature. Without that, it loses much of its appeal. I could try adding support for Growl instead, but I don't like doing that since Growl became paid software (don't want to make users buy things to use Ringo) and it's kind of dying off anyway. Also, depending on how far I go back, I'd have to rewrite large swaths to use the older syntax (especially going back to 10.6 - the difference is rather large).

On a different note, the current version of Ringo (0.7.5) may be the last for a while because I unfortunately have lost access to a machine running OS X, as the one I was using for development died a day or so ago. I won't let Ringo disappear (I'll borrow a friend's mac to do updates for major WK API changes if I have to) but it may be a while before I'm able to improve Ringo any further.

This is really really cool!

ooh i like, very nice!

jwells89 said...
mousoucarnival said... [...]
A large portion of Ringo's functionality rides on Mountain Lion's Notifications feature. Without that, it loses much of its appeal. I could try adding support for Growl instead, but I don't like doing that since Growl became paid software (don't want to make users buy things to use Ringo) and it's kind of dying off anyway. [...]
 Users don't have to buy Growl to see notifications if you use the newest Growl SDK. Just read about it on the Growl page. Important part:

"Next, and more importantly, Growl itself is no longer required in order to display a notification. The 1.3 SDK was the first version of the SDK to allow for applications to generate Growl notifications without Growl installed. This is called "Mist" and is a new feature of the 1.3 SDK."

I just downloaded this and it’s so useful. Thanks so much ^^,

Have had to stop using this because I moved to OSX Mavericks and it’s not working properly. I have no gripes as the OS isn’t officially out yet and I look forward to your continuing support!

Good news! I managed to get my hands on another mac so development is once again active.

onepartninja, what seems to be the problem? I’m also using Mavericks and Ringo works perfectly; the only bug I’ve noticed is that the icon doesn’t show up in notifications (which is being investigated).

Glad you’re still working on it, I use it all the time and it’s really convenient; love the notifications.
However, I have one feature I’d really like to see: I want to be able to set a minimum amount of reviews before I get a notification. For example I’d set it to 15 and only get a notification if I have more than 15 reviews to do. Would be nice if you could add this. Thanks!

Anyone else getting errors/corrupted files on the zip?

DoubleSupercool said... Anyone else getting errors/corrupted files on the zip?
 Decompressing seems to work for me. Can't test the files because I'm currently on Windows. Repackaged it into a tarball for you, maybe that works: http://c.j4k.be/063A1N1V2l0D

Hey guys, the corrupted zip is likely a side effect of my current (bad) free webhost. I’m moving things over to a new site soon which should fix things up.

A new patch should show up sometime soon as well.

Hi jwells89. Thanks for this app, it is really cool. But with the new API guidelines (SSL), the app is not working. Any chance for an update?

emin said... Hi jwells89. Thanks for this app, it is really cool. But with the new API guidelines (SSL), the app is not working. Any chance for an update?
 Seconding this request.
jakobd said...
emin said... Hi jwells89. Thanks for this app, it is really cool. But with the new API guidelines (SSL), the app is not working. Any chance for an update?
 Seconding this request.
 Thirding.

Please make this work again! I need this!

It won’t accept my API key. Is this still working?

Hey all, been busy with life… haven’t even worked on my items lately and now have 1k+ reviews that need tending to! :sweat:

Anyway, today I finally got around to updating Ringo, as well as relocating it to a new server and domain. You might not be able to update it from previous versions, so please download a new copy from the new site at http://www.ringomac.com/.

Changes will be listed in the original post shortly