Rfindley - Wanikani Timeline doesn't work on Firefox?

Hi Rfindley!
I was pointed to your helpful-looking userscript… I installed it… and the only thing it did was open a popup that said “Going to grab your unique API key, this should only happen once” which went to my profile and presumeably did so… before reloading the dashboard automatically. There is no visible difference.

Scrolling over the elements in my dashboard, and nothing happens. Trying to click on it, the same.

I am using Windows XP and Firefox (version 40.0.3), installed Greasemonkey to be able to use userscripts.

I even went so far as to “inspect element” and flip on Debugger mode, SEARCHING the scripts for your name rfindley, to see if it was even showing up on the page at all - it’s not. I will do one more search for Wanikani Timeline right now…
Wanikani-timeline, wanikanitimeline, and timeline all result in nothing…

Why isn’t it doing anything? I’m so confused.

I have not rebooted the browser, as a previous script I installed (Ky.is) did not require me to do so in order to run.

Thank you. Sorry for calling you out.

EDIT as of Jan 2016: Necro’d to point out a new bug maybe… ? Not sure if it’s WK’s end or the script’s end… but I’m also not sure if you’re even supporting this one now that you have the ULTIMATE version.

Apparently it doesn’t work on Firefox, I tried using it too but doesn’t work.

hmm…I also have firefox 40.0.3 and am running Greasemonkey, but the timeline works fine for me :confused:

If I remember correctly, it didn’t work for me before I had a wanikani subscription. I didn’t bother to uninstall the script and once I had a subscription running the timelime miraculously appeared. (At least it works for me now, and I’m also using firefox and greasymonkey)

sumsum … That’s interesting for the script to be dependent on a subscription. How interesting for the script to check for that! I wonder if that’s it.

Thanks, BK-201, and I see you do have a subscription. It’s good to see I’m  not 一人!

AnimeCanuck said... sumsum ... That's interesting for the script to be dependent on a subscription. How interesting for the script to check for that! I wonder if that's it.

Thanks, BK-201, and I see you do have a subscription. It's good to see I'm  not 一人!
 I don't think anyone here would explicitly prevent anyone without a subscription from using their script unless it was somehow mechanically necessary.

I'm not 100% about this, but I faintly recall subscribing before the end of the free levels just so that I could get/use an API key. I may have been misinformed or misunderstanding something, but at least at the time, I was under the impression that it was necessary to subscribe for that. Maybe check your settings page, see if it will give you one without being subscribed? If not, that might be it.

Otherwise, unsure. I also faintly remember using the timeline script at some point, and possibly having a similar initial problem. It's been a while. Maybe I'll install it again so I can see when the big review piles are coming... if I hit anything that gives me any potential insight as to why it might not display, I'll let you know.

EDIT: Hmm, nope, works like a charm for me. But then, I'm using Chrome, not Firefox. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

If something needs the API key, it requires you to be a subscriber, IIRC. You don’t get an API key until you subscribe, as I found when trying to use WaniKani Mobile on Android before subbing :slight_smile:

AnimeCanuck said... sumsum ... That's interesting for the script to be dependent on a subscription. How interesting for the script to check for that! I wonder if that's it.

Thanks, BK-201, and I see you do have a subscription. It's good to see I'm  not 一人!
I'm sorry I didn't give enough info. I tried that script BEFORE subscribing and it didn't work. I tried again right now that I'm subscribed and it worked perfectly. So in conclusion, you need to be subscribed for the script to work with your API key, my bad ^^

Lyrisath said... I'm not 100% about this, but I faintly recall subscribing before the end of the free levels just so that I could get/use an API key. I may have been misinformed or misunderstanding something, but at least at the time, I was under the impression that it was necessary to subscribe for that. Maybe check your settings page, see if it will give you one without being subscribed? If not, that might be it.
 Oh, I've got an API key. It worked perfectly with both WaniKani Mobile on my phone, and Ky.is ... So it's not that.
Thanks for double-checking, though!

BK-201 (Haha! I just realized why your name was familiar... Darker Than Black was so great!) - Weird... because like I said above... my API key works with those other 2 scripts just fine... Well, the WK Mobile app doesn't actually "load" the website of WaniKani properly to do reviews and such, but all my stats and when my next review is part of the app works fine. And Ky.is works too - but again that is an external site... so hmm...

You two combined may have just solved the problem for me. :/

Thanks!

(Sadly, subscribing is not something I can do at this time... Probably December at the earliest...)

You cannot access content you are not subscribed to with the API, which would require the script writer to account for a level check for those not subscribed, as to only pull and work with ~level 3 data (aka: Handling the API error and not pulling data out of an allowed scope).

Also inspecting a page to see if a script is working from their… username, or script name, won’t work. Greasemonkey and such are extensions that run the scripts on another layer, unless the scripts embed functionality directly. The script you posted about seems as though it would do this, of course, but the author’s name (nor will the /entire/ script itself) would not be embedded into the page. You would have to search the script, see which function names or variables it does embed if any, and searching for those. There’s no point though.

Kaimera said... You cannot access content you are not subscribed to with the API, which would require the script writer to account for a level check for those not subscribed, as to only pull and work with ~level 3 data (aka: Handling the API error and not pulling data out of an allowed scope).
I believe this is the issue.

Have you also tried the other version of the timeline script?
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/5585-wanikani-timeline

This version implements a level check.
It should only request levels up to your current level.

EDIT:
Alternatively if you want to use the rfindley version edit the 'api_calls' line near the top to look like this:
api_calls = ['radicals', 'kanji', 'vocabulary'];
This should make it work on trial accounts. (But break it on high-level accounts!)

@AnimeCanuck,

All of the timeline scripts have a common ancestor, so they are likely to act the same.  My version just added some features to the original.

I’ll try to take a look at the script on the weekend.

EDIT:  Could you try going to the Settings page from the menu, and confirm whether you have a Public API Key?

Hi rfindley,

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I didn’t notice earlier. ^_^; Also thanks to kobayashi, I may try that if rfindley’s fix doesn’t work.

EDIT: Yep. It’s a public API. It’s 100% public, even says “PUBLIC API KEY” over on the left. It’s not private, or anything. shrugs

I just did 10 new lessons, and unlike usual, their first review (4 hours from now) is not showing up in the timeline. I don’t know whether this is your Timeline’s bug, or a bug of WK. Did my lessons not “go through” as it were? O.o

AnimeCanuck said... I just did 10 new lessons, and unlike usual, their first review (4 hours from now) is not showing up in the timeline. I don't know whether this is your Timeline's bug, or a bug of WK. Did my lessons not "go through" as it were? O.o
 I noticed that too before I switched to the Ultimate version.  Idk how much this helps, but the Ultimate timeline seems to not have this problem (at least for me)  

Good luck figuring it out :)

Works for me in firefox

xspikex52 said...
AnimeCanuck said... I just did 10 new lessons, and unlike usual, their first review (4 hours from now) is not showing up in the timeline. I don't know whether this is your Timeline's bug, or a bug of WK. Did my lessons not "go through" as it were? O.o
 I noticed that too before I switched to the Ultimate version.  Idk how much this helps, but the Ultimate timeline seems to not have this problem (at least for me)  

Good luck figuring it out :)
 Hmm... Thanks. I might have to switch, then. But I like the simplicity of the original. Spike, do you run into this problem all the time, frequently, or only occasionally? I double-checked my list of kanji on the 1-10 page, and WK does show that I've learned them, so it does have to be the script.

EDIT: Those 10 items have just showed up in my timeline now, after doing a single review. It's weird how it updates. *shrugs* But I guess for now I'll accept it as one of the script's quirks.

Also, for anyone seeing this thread for the first time, I don't know how I got it working back then (because I don't say so), but the script has been working for me and very helpful for months. Not sure what I did to fix it (if anything), but my guess is it was a stupid mistake, something simple I probably overlooked. I do use it on firefox and like it a lot!

Maybe try to click refresh above the timeline. Then they should pop up.

Quppi said... Maybe try to click refresh above the timeline. Then they should pop up.
 That was the first thing I tried, followed by disabling then re-enabling the script. Neither of those did it. Doing a review (it was only one item) seemed to solve the issue.

With the old Timeline script, it simply displays exactly what WK reports, so the not-showing-up issue has to be a glitch in the WK backend… which I’ve seen happen before.  It eventually corrects itself, usually within a few minutes.

The new Ultimate Timeline can be configured to be as simple as the original, by the way.  Just go into the settings and turn off item details.  It also caches the data, so it loads extremely fast versus the original, and might be less susceptible to some of the glitches since it uses a different means of gathering updates.