Greeting Death (Study Log)

Level 11 Progress Update

lesson and review count

0/0!! :tada:

review forecast

Today morning, I had a review pile of 122 reviews. I’ve been doing reviews consistently, but because of finals and a mildly devastating life event I’ve been pretty slow about it. It’s all good now though and I am back on track! I will be leveling up soon! I’ve spent 27 days on this level, and while it’s not exactly accurate because of last week being messy, I can already tell that 50-55 is too slow for me. So I’m deciding to change the number to 65 apprentice. (Do lessons if under 65, don’t do any if 65 or above.)

level progress

I’ve completed most of the vocab for this level, so hopefully I’m not going to be bombarded with lessons when I level up.

item distribution

2 Likes

I leveled up! :tada:

Level 12 Progress Update

lesson and review count

I did 25ish lessons today, I’m mostly done with vocab and those 35 are mostly radicals and kanji.

review forecast

I leveled up 1 or 2 days ago, it has been going good so far. I spent 30 days on level 11, I am not really happy with that so I changed my apprentice count goal to 65, and hopefully all goes well. If it’s too much I’ll definitely make sure to slow down, because I don’t wanna risk getting overwhelmed again. I think I want each level for me to take 15-25 days, I haven’t decided exactly yet.

level progress

I did a few kanji lessons, there wasn’t any reason other than I wanted to.

item distribution

I unburned an item because I was reviewing it in KaniWani and I realized I’d completely forgot it. (I’ve started KaniWani again and I think I’m going to start posting KaniWani progress updates as well, just not quite yet.)

1 Like

Level 12 Progress Update

lesson and review count

Been doing less than the max lessons I’ve set for myself, just has to do with motivation mostly.

review forecast

I’ve spent 18 days on this level so far, nothing has felt too overwhelming and I’m happy with my pacing. Things are going good! I will level up soon.

level progress

Just a few more kanji till level up! Nearly done clearing out my vocab lessons.

item distribution

There’s been a pretty big wave of burn reviews, I’ve been trying to be careful so that they don’t drown me.

1 Like

Leveled up! :tada:

Level 13 Progress Update

lesson and review count

I won’t be doing many lessons until I get back home most likely.

review forecast

I’ve been busy visiting my family overseas. Am still doing reviews, just not as often, I did around ~300 in 2 sessions today. I still leveled up though, with 49 days spent on level 12. I’ve also been doing KaniWani, but much less than WaniKani. I think things are going good, I’ll be putting more time in once I get home in a week.

level progress

I’ll probably only be doing vocab lessons for now.

item distribution

Still many burn reviews coming in.

1 Like

Level 13 Progress Update

lesson and review count

review forecast

Right after I got home there was a family emergency so I haven’t been able to do lessons much. I’m still doing reviews though, hopefully I’ll finally get more time to study when this is all over.

level progress

item distribution

2 Likes

Level 13 Progress Update

lesson and review count

level progress

I’m taking it slow for now, I’m not 100% sure what pace I want to be going at yet, but I’m thinking I do want to catch up to my 65 apprentice rule eventually. I’ve started studying a lot more grammar and I’m back to using KaniWani too. I’ll probably add separate sections for them when I post sometime later.

item distribution

1 Like

Level 14 Progress Update

lesson and review count

Leveled up and I instantly had 90+ lessons. Majority are vocab though (currently 45 of them), so I’m gonna be doing 10-20 a day most likely and hopefully get to kanji soon.

level progress

Level 13 took me 65 days, I’m hoping to pick up the pace a little and do <30 days per level. Going to keep apprentice under 75 as a loose rule for now I think. Haven’t been able to study as much grammar but I’ve been doing reviews daily and I’m still keeping up with KaniWani (I’ve started reviewing level 4 material on it).

item distribution

heatmap

Here’s my full heatmap from since I’ve started, felt like including since I’ve reached level 14 again, which is when I originally reset. Nearly 1/4 of the way there to 60!

kaniwani progress

Level 14 Progress Update

lesson and review count

I finished all the vocab lessons! I also had one leftover Kanji from level 13. Going to be going at 5 Kanji a day starting tommorrow, I think.

level progress

5 days on level 14 so far, I think things have been going good. Reviews haven’t been any trouble, which is good. Unfortunately I’ve been busy so less progress on grammar but I’ve still been writing down sentences in Japanese every few days to remember what I’ve learned.

item distribution

Level 14 Progress Update

lesson and review count

0/0!!

level progress

15 days on level 14, and I’m really confident with the faster pace. I haven’t skipped a single day of reviews (my streak is 21 right now) and I’ve been doing 5-15 lessons a day. I think I’m gonna level up in 5-10 days, which would make level 14 20-25 days. I think going forward I’m going to try for 20 days a level, and maybe speed up to 15. I’m enthusiastic so far! KaniWani is also going decently, though i did end up with 137 reviews one day.

item distribution

1 Like

Level 15 Progress Update

lesson and review count

14 of them are vocab. I’ll be going through them at a 15 lessons max per day, 10 max for kanji, starting with vocab.

level progress

I’m finally 1/4 of the way there to level 60! Level 14 took me only 21 days in comparison to the previous ones, and I think I’m pretty happy with that pace. I might try to get it down to 15 days per level because towards the end I felt like everything felt a bit too slow, but I’d still say its a great improvement. I’ve been pretty busy / stressed lately so I haven’t had much time to do any Japanese studies, but I have recently started rewatching the children’s anime Digimon Adventure for fun and I was pleasantly surprised at how much of the Japanese I was able to grasp.

Once things calm down a bit I’m hoping to be able to focus more on grammar specifically, because my progress in that area has been pretty stagnant. On that topic, I found a really great tool by @DaisukeJigen for practicing conjugation using WaniKani items (wanikanjigation) and I’ll be using that to practice conjugation from now on.

item distribution

2 Likes

Level 15 Progress Update

lesson and review count

level progress

I half on accident half on purpose sped through the first half of this level. I won’t be leveling up until I’ve finished most of the vocab lessons for this level, though.

I’ve restarted my habit of trying to write a few sentences in Japanese every few days, and I’m also planning to go back to practicing grammar again.

I’m also back to doing KaniWani, and I’m almost done with all the level 4 lessons.

item distribution

2 Likes

Level 16 Progress Update

lesson and review count

All of these are kanji and radicals, I finished the vocab yesterday and today.

level progress

I finished level 15 in only 14 days and I didn’t feel rushed or overwhelmed! I think thats a good pace for now. I’m hesitant about going any faster so I think I’m gonna continue with the 14-20 days per level pace.

item distribution

3 Likes

Level 17 Progress Update

lesson and review count

Finished off my vocab lessons today.

level progress

Level 16 ended up taking 25 days which was a lot longer than I wanted to spend on it, but I wasn’t making much progress in the beginning because I was feeling very burnt out and unmotivated. Hopefully level 17 goes better, I was recently prescribed medicine for my ADHD so I’m hoping it’ll improve my focus.

item distribution

KaniWani Progress

kaniwani progress

I’ve started reviewing items from level 4!

4 Likes

Oops, I forgot to update for 3 months.

:tada: Level 18 Progress Update

lesson and review count

level progress

I took a break for the end of year season and I’m getting back into things now. 35 days on level 18 so far, not back at normal speed yet but I started doing lessons again. Been feeling generally frustrated at my slow pace but also have the background knowledge that if I go faster I’ll burn out much easier and harder given that I already struggle with motivating myself on a regular basis. Might try to go a bit faster but not sure how things are gonna look in coming months so we’ll see what happens. I’m also now studying grammar using a textbook (일본어뱅크 New 스타일 일본어 문법), so hopefully my grammar knowledge can start catching up to my Kanji and vocab. I also want to start writing more in Japanese again.

item distribution

Burned a lot of items during the break, wasn’t doing any lessons but was still occasionally doing reviews.

1 Like

:tada: Level 19 Progress Update

lesson and review count

level progress

I spent 61 days on level 18, but it was really closer to something like 25 days because I had taken a break from lessons for 2-3 weeks or so. I’ll be visiting Japan for about a week this summer for the first time! I’m planning to study more than I usually do so that it’s easier to get around (my family will be depending on me). I’ve set out a vague outline of how I want to study for the next 4 months:

• >20 days per level, 15 lessons max per day (15 vocab max, 10 kanji/radicals max)
  • Getting back to KaniWani (aiming for every other day)
  • Studying grammar through 일본어뱅크 New 스타일 일본어 문법 (I haven’t yet set a schedule for grammar yet, but I’ve been trying to study in my free time.)
  • More writing (Currently least priority, I try to write in my Japanese notebook every so often.)

Of course I want to practice more listening as speaking as well, and I’ve been trying to find more people I can speak Japanese with. I do know a few people, and I hope to organize with them.

item distribution

3 Likes

Today is my 1000th day since joining WaniKani!

It’s been 2 years and 8 months since I joined WaniKani, so I wanted to make a celebrating post with all the progress I’ve made. I’ve reached level 19 (soon to be 20) and according to wkstats I’ve learned 653 kanji. I’ve almost finished with the pain levels and I’m about to enter death (which will hopefully treat me kindly). I hope to finish WaniKani in the next 1000 days, especially since for about 10 months since starting I wasn’t using WaniKani at all. My goal is to avoid long breaks like those but also making sure I don’t let reviews pile up and lose motivation because of that.

This also pretty much coincides with when I started learning Japanese. I feel like I’ve made a lot of progress, but actually visiting Japan this summer will be the real test of my skills. I plan to focus on Japanese study other than WaniKani in the 1-2 months before that (and in general), but things are pretty busy and I’ve only really managed to stay consistent with WaniKani so far.

reviews heatmap

lessons heatmap

I think there might be a bug or something with this one, but I’m not sure how to fix it.

item distribution

timeline

Let’s hope the next 1000 days go better!

2 Likes

Leveled up. :tada:

Level 20 Progress Update

lesson and review count

Had 60 lessons when I initially leveled up, I’ve gone through all the vocab now. I expect to get through the rest in the next 3-4 days, but I’m very busy currently so it might be a few days longer.

level progress

Level 19 took me 18 days, would’ve been 17 but I failed a guru review. The pace honestly felt slow but I’m taking that as a good sign and continuing as is because I don’t want to feel overwhelmed.

I downloaded a font randomizer script and a show context sentence script. They’ve both been great (thank you to the users that developed them) and I especially recommend the show sentence script for reading practice. It’s been a good way to practice reading without having to go out of my way and take time for it separately.

I’ve also started using KaniWani regularly again, every other day or so. I’m still reviewing level 5 material on there, and I’m pretty happy with it that way. I’ll get to review older material I might’ve forgotten and it won’t overlap with my WaniKani reviews.

item distribution

2 Likes

Level 21 Progress Update

lesson and review count

Had ~70 lessons when I initially leveled up. Just started getting through them.

level progress

Level 20 took me 17 days, so this is a pretty belated level up post because I’ve been extremely busy this month and it’s only calmed down these last few days. I’m finally 1/3 of the way through WaniKani and into the Death levels, I think thats pretty exciting. Progress has been good. Now that I have a bit more time, I’ve been taking notes on my grammar textbook and trying to write sentences every day. Gonna get back to KaniWani too.

item distribution

1 Like

Level 22 Progress Update

lesson and review count

Aiming to do 10-15 lessons per day.

level progress

Level 21 took longer than I expected or wanted it to, the UI update really threw off my workflow so I ended up taking 28 days. Hopefully now I’m fully adjusted and this level goes much smoother. Userscripts have been helping a lot, the dashboard review summary has been a huge help, thank you @rwesterhof for creating it!

I’ve continued studying grammar and I’ve been practicing reading some things in Japanese, and I find that while my comprehension isn’t that great, I can usually get a gist of what is being said, and to me thats a hopeful start.

item distribution

2000 burns!

5 Likes

Level 23 Progress Update

lesson and review count

level progress

Level 22 coincidentally took 22 days, which is slightly longer than I’ve been wanting to spend on levels but better than I expected given that I’m very busy currently. I haven’t had the time to study grammar recently, but I plan to get back to it as soon as I can. I’m going to Japan in a little more than a month now, and I’m planning to do the most studying in the week or two prior.

item distribution

4 Likes