Request: Show Kanji Compounds

Hey all,

I know there are great extensions that pull up some example sentences of vocabulary items, but I haven’t come across anything that shows example COMPOUNDS for kanji.  Often, the kanji I remember the easiest are the ones I have seen time and time again in compounds (like knowing 「乳」 because I see it in 「牛乳」 every day at lunch).  I think this would be really, really effective to retain the actual characters, somewhat like the idea about seeing a compound in the context of a sentence.  Though I use mnemonics at the beginning to soak the kanji into my memory, we eventually are looking to drop that crutch and recognize the kanji immediately and constant exposure in context is a great tool to achieve this end.

There are two ways I could see this being implemented:

1) Listed in the drop-drown information available with each items (alongside the mnemonics)

2) As a ‘hint’ button that sits in the wide, pink space on the left or right of the kanji.  If you clicked this button it would display a bunch of compounds so you can see it in context.

I don’t think the compounds have to come strictly from Wanikani and they can be generated from the most frequently used compounds from an online dictionary or something.

Do other people think this would be useful?  Would this be hard to create from developer’s perspective?

I would love to be able to view compounds when I’m reviewing Kanji.  I think option #2 would be more appropriate, because having the compounds alongside the mnemonics might trigger the reading/meaning of that particular Kanji, which would be detrimental to retaining that Kanji.  I would like to have them available as an extra button or keyboard shortcut (“f” shows info -> “space” shows all -> “?” shows compounds).

+1

pushindawood said... I would love to be able to view compounds when I'm reviewing Kanji.  I think option #2 would be more appropriate, because having the compounds alongside the mnemonics might trigger the reading/meaning of that particular Kanji, which would be detrimental to retaining that Kanji.  I would like to have them available as an extra button or keyboard shortcut ("f" shows info -> "space" shows all -> "?" shows compounds).

+1
 This seems like a great idea! I just hope it's not too hard to implement...

+1

sounds useful, i also like option number two more. i do remember vocab better than kanji because i can actually use vocab, so this might be helpful

ShotgunLagoon said... sounds useful, i also like option number two more. i do remember vocab better than kanji because i can actually use vocab, so this might be helpful
 Let's just hope we get a reply from Viet ^^
GreenWarrior said...
ShotgunLagoon said... sounds useful, i also like option number two more. i do remember vocab better than kanji because i can actually use vocab, so this might be helpful
 Let's just hope we get a reply from Viet ^^

or a friendly user/developer!