Repetitive Radicals

It’s vocab is coming in at 10, 14 and 23. It only has 3, none close to the level you learn it. But it gets used in radicals, so you will not forget it that easily =)

I use the given mnemonics most the time. Only a few have I substituted or altered.

1 Like

What are りょう (in this sense) and daymio? >_>

Haha, I can’t believe I misspelled it! I see bad habits die hard. I meant 大名 and りょう as a currency, but that should actually be りょ. Now I’m extra embarrassed ^^".

I feel like they could just specify that kanji could also be used as radicals.

Like, on the screen that says which radicals make up the kanji, it could contain not just radicals, but also other kanji which work as radicals inside that kanji.

That way they would only need to teach radicals that are “pure” radicals, like flowers, instead of ones that are actually kanji like “woman”.

Also on a different note, I don’t think the most valuable thing in wk is the pre written mnemonics, it’s the level system that builds up on previous knowledge and the entire SRS infrastructure that you just don’t have on anki that easily. Though I like the mnemonics too!

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand this one. “Woman” is one of the “real” radicals, not one invented by WK just for the purposes of mnemonics.

I’m saying they could teach us the kanji woman from the get-go and then use it as radical in other kanji that contain woman, instead of first teaching the radical, and then the kanji which is identical.

I don’t really make a distinction in my mind between the radical woman and the kanji woman, so it feels pointless to go through the same SRS process twice.

Similarly, they could just use the “city” kanji as a “city” radical without having to teach it as a radical specifically. Would be equivalent to giving us the radical “for free” after we memorize the kanji.

The radical lesson is teaching you the shape and the meaning woman. Yes, later the meaning is repeated in the kanji lesson but you’re also learning the reading, which is not necessarily relevant to any other kanji that happen to use the woman radical. This would be a big change to their whole flow of how they teach kanji. I mean, maybe some day they’ll change the whole system and reboot the site, but that seems like a long shot.

1 Like

I mean, the memorization effort of connecting the shape with the meaning would be the same whether they were teaching the radical or the kanji first.

This would only work for kanji which mean the same as the radical (“dog” but not “stool”), which at least in early levels seems like it happens a lot. It’s not really vital, but would be in the spirit of optimizing the system as much as possible.

For things like the OP said, I could picture a userscript that automatically “passes” the radical if it’s the same as the kanji, but that wouldn’t save people a lot of effort :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.