Reflections from an unconventional learner( lv20, 7 years in)

1. Useless vocabulary

I especially don’t like geographical locations. Like Tashirojima.

1. Bad Mnemonics

I sometimes type “/kanji/ mnemonic” in google and look for alternatives. For example

The sun (日) sets without a sound (音), and the town grows DARK. The darkness makes my AUNt (アン) so blue that she CRIEs (くらい).

“CRIES” seems to work much better than “COOLER”. IMO

Also I type “words starting with /sound/” to get an inspiration. At least two quite NSFW words from the list go well with “dark” and “cry”, much better than “aunt” or especially “anchovies” IMNSHO.

Re: 光栄(こうえい) and 栄光(えいこう)

Since I don’t have the Japanese fantasy reading background to rely on to help with these, I’ve gone for something more basic: eikou is alphabetically closer to glory than honour: kouei is closer to honour than glory.

1 Like

Looks at my own join date

Le sigh… :sleepy:

2 Likes

Although I don’t doubt you are indeed from the future, I was joking about your post being plagiarised. :slight_smile:

You know it’s long when it has to be tackled in sittings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: enjoying so far !

1 Like

This one might actually work for me! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

The mnemonic I’ve been using since that thread is since 光 looks like an H, when it comes first that one means Honor.

3 Likes

This is such a lovely telling of your story. I came to read the (correct) criticisms of the dumb stuff about this app, and got as well a prosaic look into one person’s off-and-on relationship with this country and its language. I remember my first time bewildered in a Japanese McDonald’s, and I see the gaijin who work in our local Japanese grocery and wonder if they’re studying too. Thanks for sharing this, I really enjoyed reading it.

2 Likes

Me too, I was like s**t, how do I even order, I think I reverted to pointing for the first few times. It wasn’t until a few weeks later that I could order with some sort of ‘strategy’ armed from the beginner Japanese classes I was taking at the time in Tokyo. I think it’s really important to learn this situational techniques, and try them out, it gives you so much more confidence to get off to the best start on your language journey. Nice post OP. I enjoyed reading your story.

2 Likes

nice!! thanks alot

1 Like

This resonates with me too!!! Getting there will take ages, I can’t even imagine dreaming in another language, I wonder how long it will take, probably another 5 years haha

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I almost teared up at the end. I don’t think anyone can truly understand the challenges and pain of studying this particular language unless they go down the path themselves. i have been studying Japanese for 10 years, and despite endless hours of self study, i have had full years where i think i have fully plateaued while trying to balance this hobby with life’s responsibilities. To remain motivated to slog through a hobby where constant failure seems to be the norm takes a special skill lol. I would like to commend everyone here on wani kani who wakes up every morning to push through this challenging hobby knowing that every inch gained matters and one day we will all look back on a life long journey of fulfillment that has made us more resilient, patient, brave, and most importantly more fluent in Japanese. God Speed!

1 Like

Well said! The longer you go the harder it is to get better but many things are also easier as well.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.