Reb's Study Log

Hi, I’m Reb from the UK. I’m autistic and I’ve been studying Japanese for… a while… and I know I’ve made progress but it’s hard to see. So, hopefully, this can be a way to keep track.

A "While" Ago

Back in September of 2014, I started my A-Levels. I was know-it-all arsehole who thought themselves above petty stuff like revision, and on a whim I decided to start learning Japanese. Literally my only reason was that the people who made the games I like to play were Japanese.

So, using Tae Kim’s Guide, I taught myself hiragana and katakana. I discovered anime as a tool to practice listening, thought once I started watching them it was much more for the enjoyment than any educational purposes. I started a little bit of grammar, think I got as far as は.

Then my exams came around and I “failed.” Not literally, technically I passed all of the six subjects I was taking. But I didn’t pass anywhere near as well as I should have. My Chemistry result in particular was awful, and I had to completely change my intended career path. It should have been a wake up call. The second year of my A-Levels I just made sure I didn’t forget the hiragana/katakana, planning to focus on school. Not that I had ever learnt how. Somehow I made it to university even though my grades were lower than needed for my conditional offer.

My university ran free languages courses. I applied and didn’t get in. This was the first time I hadn’t gotten my first choice in anything. Growing up I was told not to choose backup modules for GCSE and stuff because my autism meant the school had to give me my first choice. This should have been another wake up call, but my support worker spoke to the head of the language department. Since I already knew the hiragana, they agreed that if a space opened up within the first month I could join the class and not be too far behind. Luckily for me, someone dropped out.

So, I spent time in a structured environment studying from this textbook which was written by two of the Japanese language teachers at the university I attended. This was great as I was able to actually talk to people in Japanese. However, I was burning out (not that I knew it) and the only reason I was doing as well as I did in those classes was because I had several hours between my main subject’s lecture and the evening Japanese class which I used to go over everything. Not realising I was keeping everything in my short term memory.

Then Covid happened. To keep from getting too off topic, let’s just say I was struggling to study at home. University stuff that is. I found and joined wanikani shortly into the lockdown. In about four months I got to level 16. But in terms of university, I’d show up to the Japanese zoom class each week, fumble my way through, and forget what I learnt immediately after. In terms of my main subject, one of my lecturers left a note on my work saying that the only reason I didn’t fail is because he literally was not allowed to fail anyone that year. Despite this, I was not able to find the motivation to focus during my final year. The only reason I passed was because a couple weeks into the second term I enlisted outside help, who created a schedule for me to study 12hrs a day 5 days a week with financial consequences if I slacked off. I pulled through with a 2:1 and was called a failure for not getting a 1st.

After that I just kinda collapsed in on myself. I tried to catch up on the thousands of reviews that had build and just reset my account back to level 1. I was struggling to find a job until my younger sister put in a good word with the manager of the pub she worked at. To celebrate finally getting employment, I got the lifetime wanikani while it was on sale (which also made more sense for me personally because at the rate I’m going at monthly or yearly subscriptions would cost too much). But after the first couple months of trying to get back into things, I kept forgetting to do wanikani more and more often.

This is just a brief overview of what happened during that “while.” There was a lot of complicated personal stuff going on at various points throughout, and rather than getting into all those details I’ve just left the timeline a little funky.

Recently

In October last year I decided to get my shit together. I finally figured out that if I’m going to procrastinate to stuff I should be doing anyway, I might as well procrastinate with something useful. So in between dealing with some very serious personal issues, I was getting my reviews back down to zero.

In January I realised that if I didn’t quit my job I was going to have a nervous breakdown, even if the new manager was trying to get my coworkers to stop breaking food safety laws. So I quit. I’m very aware how lucky I am that that was an option financially available to me. I am currently working with a job seekers program to find a job that doesn’t make me want to puke every time I have a shift. But in the meantime I told myself that since I have all this free time I should focus on my Japanese studies. I read through the level up emails and tofugu guides to help me figure out what I should be doing other than just kanji and vocab, so I dusted off that university textbook and started working through it again. I read through threads on here. I started reading the free Tadoku books.

But I started lagging and skipping days again. I applied for the JLPT N5 and then panicked that I’m not ready for it. I made myself join the new ABBC that just started, even though last time I tried I gave up part way through and I’m not sure whether that’s going to happen again. My self-esteem is probably in the negatives. Unfortunately, being aware of that doesn’t help it get any higher.

So that was a lot of background basically to say I’ve been a beginner for too long and I’ve a million excuses why. This is the stuff I’m currently working on to get out of that beginner phase.

Wanikani

At the time I’m writing this I’m level 22 (and procrastinating on those 54 reviews I have to do).

Once a day I set a timer.

I start with my reviews, and if I still have time I do my recent mistakes.

Then I look at how many apprentice items I have. If doing a batch of five lessons would put me over 100, I don’t do lessons. So far I’m going slow enough that there was only once I did ten lessons instead of fifteen (and many times I didn’t get around to or skipped lessons).

I then run through recent lessons and burned items (which I’ve failed far too many of).

When my timer beeps, I’m done. I finish up the review(s) I was working on and leave it. There have been a couple times I didn’t get through my reviews because I’d had a bad few days of not doing any, but I just left them.

About twice I week I’ll also do my reviews of an evening.

I am well aware that ideally I’d been running through my review queue several times a day every day, and getting my lessons done. But, especially now that my level is in the 20s, I want to maintain my pace and have motivation to do other things rather than spend a month racing through ten levels and then dropping wanikani for months.

I’ve been adjusting how long I set the timer for each month. In January it was 30 minutes. Now it’s 20.

Reading

Like with my wanikani reviews, I’m currently using a timer to both make sure I read for long enough and don’t read for too long that I burn out.

The things I’m working on reading at the moment are:

I have a lot of things on my natively wishlist that I am not yet ready for. If you want my thought process for why I’m reading what I’m reading in the way that I’m reading it, I rambled about that then realised I was rambling and hid that here and rewrote this section.

My Rambling Thought Process

Last month this was starting a stopwatch, pulling up a free Lv0 Tadoku book, and when I finished it I’d check the stopwatch to see if I’d been reading for “long enough” yet.

This month I finished those and started the Lv1 Tadoku books. This level feels like my current comfort zone. I found that I was checking the stopwatch while reading a particularly gross looking recipe (I am very picky about food) so I changed it to a timer instead. I feel like learning to stop in the middle of a book and pick it up again later now will help me when I get onto longer, more text heavy books.

Speaking of, someone here introduced me to Natively, where I had a lot of fun the other day adding loads of stuff I’m nowhere near ready for to my wishlist. (My profile is here.) My sister has bought me a surprise book that should be arriving the week after next and I really want to be able to read it.

I think I mentioned above the ABBC that last time I gave up part way through. I would like to not give up this time. So I have reassessed my reading “schedule” in a sense.

When the reading club weeks rolls around, I will spend my day’s reading on that for as many days until I’m happy. Next I will go to natively, and sort my owned books from easier to hardest, and read the easiest. I put all the Tadoku books in there, but also stuff from the ABBC and random free books I got back when I joined the first time around.

If it’s a Tadoku book I’ll just read it and move onto the next one, but if it’s a previous book club books, I could assign myself the week 1 reading and then read through the thread? Once I get better at reading I can probably buy books in my wishlist and/or join higher level book clubs? As much as I want to dive into a difficult book, I probably need to get better or I’ll have a sulk at it. And I’m certain that which ever book my sister’s got me will be far above my current reading level.

At the moment, the Lv1 Tadoku books are in my comfort zone. I like my comfort zone, it is comfortable here. But I will not be able to read more if I stay there.

Grammar

If you guessed I was using a timer to make sure I study for long enough but not too long, you’d be right,

I have been working through the Colloquial Japanese textbook, which I don’t expect anyone to recognise. It was the one used by my class, and my copy is still in good condition. Unfortunately it uses a lot of romaji for the first half, even though the class did teach that in the few weeks.

When I open the textbook, I also open up anki. I have been making grammar flashcards for each grammar point. When there are Japanese sentences I make flashcards for those, using a combination of Jisho.org and ichi.moe to figure out which kanji the sentence should be using, and translating them.

The same with the exercises. For example, if the textbook asks me to fill in the blank with the right particle? I type out the full sentence into anki, give it the particle I think goes in that blank, translate it, and then check the back to make sure I didn’t give it the wrong particle.

Despite making these anki flashcards, I don’t actually review them. (My anki deck is bloated with random stuff and really needs sorting out.) But making them and typing things out helps things make sense to me.

As well as that textbook, I have a JLPT N5 grammar book that I have not looked at in… too long. I am also aware of this website. Once I’ve finished working through the textbook, I plan to go through both these resources.

Speaking and Listening

… Yeah these are kind of neglected. I found jpdb.io, which has vocab lists for quite a few anime (alongside other stuff) so I spend 15 minutes a day running through those to prepare myself to watch anime. It is rather slow going. I keep messing with settings and the order I want to do things in and only time will tell if it ends up paying off.

So, what listening am I actually doing? The maily listening to the person reading the Tadoku books I’m reading. As in, I read a page, then listen to the person read a page. But as I’m also reading as I hear the words, I’m not sure that’s very effective. (I do also listen to the wanikani voice person say words… but… I don’t think that counts.)

Very recently I started watching a let’s play on YouTube (This one if you’re curious) because I know the translation of that game very well. While there is reading out loud of text on the screen, there are also other words being said and I’m interested enough to want to know what people think of my favourite game that I pay more attention to try to figure that out. I’ve been watching one of those videos every couple days.

I would like to be able to watch anime with the subtitles off, but at the moment that still terrifies me.

As for speaking, almost everything I read I say out loud. I tell my dog she is 綺麗な子犬ちゃんですね!ですね! But that’s about it.

If my rambling above hadn’t made it clear, there are a lot of things I want to do. I’m not great at breaking big things down into smaller chunks or prioritising. But here goes.

My Goals for March

I want to:

• Get to wanikani Lv23
  • Reach the end of my textbook
  • Finish reading all Lv1 Tadoku books
  • Read a chapter of a manga or book
  • Watch one episode of an anime without subtitles
My Goals for 2024

I want to:

• Pass the JLPT N5
  • Finish reading 老女的少女ひなたちゃん (preferably alongside ABBC)
  • Finish reading all of the Tadoku books
  • Read a novel
  • Finish watching an anime without subtitles
Lofty Ambitions

I want to:

• Become an official Japanese to English translator
  • Go to Japan (and be able to understand people)
  • Be able to play Trails in the Sky / 空の軌跡 (and other games) in Japanese
  • Read manga and books that don’t get translations
  • Not give up

I’m not really sure how to end this so here’s a picture of my dog.

Betty

20 Likes

Ticky boxes? Tickey boxes!

I barely got through my wanikani reviews yesterday, but I did do them. hooray.

Today
wanikani reviews
wanikani lessons
read this week’s 老女的少女ひなたちゃん
study grammar
jpdb reviews
watch a video

Details

After I did my lessons I realised that if I’m not really wanting to get through wanikani quickly, I should probably drop my lessons. So I changed my batch size from 5 to 3.

I also realised I kinda do speaking practice with wanikani? For meaning reviews, I try to say the reading outloud as I type in the meaning, which I started doing because I was having trouble connecting the two as being the same thing. Then for reading reviews I try to copy the pitch rhythm stuff as the voice person says it. (Those are words in a order of making sense… :sweat_smile:)

For grammar it was just relearning what I should already know with Verbて form can also be used for things you do regularly, and Verbたり form is basically the verb version of や。

I also started watching these videos, which so far have been stuff I already know. I did put on Japanese subtitles and I really should turn them off or it won’t count as proper listening, but on the other hand I find things easier to use English subtitles when watching English stuff so. I might just let that be.

Tomorrow
wanikani reviews
wanikani lessons
read a Tadoku book
study grammar
jpdb reviews
watch a video

Details

Didn’t get around to any lessons because I got distracted with wanting to install the leech script after failing 険 because I got it confused with 検 again. I might do them later but probably won’t.

I read チワワのはなすけ~帽子ぼうしとマフラー. Which means I got through all the books in that mini series. They’ve been kinda weird and I can’t say I particularly enjoyed them. But they are easy.

Also read the very short かぼちゃん日本にほんあき. Not much to say about it. I’m kinda making it sound like all the Tadoku books are boring, so I should point out that これはなんでしょう? which I read earlier this week was very interesting and taught me something new. I’m just fussy.

For grammar, I went over which clothes verbs go with which clothes. (Glasses uses 掛ける which has far too many meanings, now I can use one of them. 私は眼鏡を掛けています。) Did a load of turning Verbます into Verbた, and then started looking at the difference between Verbて and Verbたり.

6 Likes

Welcome! Hope the study log is helpful for you, I’ve certainly enjoyed writing mine. And best of luck with getting over the beginner hill. I’ve found that going from absolute beginner to competent beginner/intermediate was the hardest part for sure, and everything after that has gotten much easier since all of your language knowledge builds on itself.

5 Likes

I’m not sure whether or not this is working. I still spend too much time dossing about trying to get the motivation to do the next thing in my checklist. But I’m still gonna make one for the next week.

Wanikani Reviews
Wanikani Lessons
Reading
Grammar
jpdb

I also have half an idea to help deal with my executive dysfunction, which may or may not work. Basically when I’m stuck I roll a d20 and do whatever the result is. Effectiveness in actually obeying the dice gods to be confirmed.

Dice Result
Dice Roll Thing to Do
1 Watch Comprehensible Japanese
2 Watch 空の軌跡 LP
3 Play Sims
4 Play Zelda
5 Watch Anime
6 Play Trails into Reverie
7 Play BGIII
8 Watch Japanese Ammo with Misa
9 Read Outlander
10 Read N5 Book
11 Read レンタルお兄ちゃん
12 Read チーズスイートホーム
13 Read にゃんにゃん探偵団
14 Extra Wanikani
15 Read Tadoku Book
16 Study Grammar with Textbook
17 Study Grammar with N5 Book
18 Study Grammar with N5 Website
19 Extra jpdb
20 Read NHK Easy

I put some English stuff in because those are things I would like to get through. For which books I put in was basically just what I was reading in the ABBC ages ago and two other ABBC books that I’d picked up at that time. Ideally this system will work well enough that I’ll finish something and have to replace it.

Right, I’m off to [rolls dice]… do extra jpdb reviews before doing my normal amount? Joy.

3 Likes

Well, the d20 thing was successful at getting me into the swing of doing the checklist, so hooray.

Today’s review session was good. Only made a handful of mistakes (and one of those was a typo where I hit り instead of えい so it doesn’t count). Got all nine of my queued lessons done. I’ve only got another 26 hiding behing the UI, but I’ve a sinking feeling I’m gonna level up before getting through them all.

Speaking of reviews, 自動詞 came up. Having learnt the words 自動詞 and 他動詞 has really helped me tell them apart. Before I was all confused because even if I looked up which a verb was I could never really get it straight which was which. 自動詞 and 他動詞 say in their names what they are.

Read 柴犬ディナちゃん、秋の京都へ行く!, liked it well enough. Started reading シュモーハウス, got about halfway through it. I wasn’t expecting anything this serious while reading the free Tadoku books. I don’t think I’ve heard of Floyd Shumou before (pretty sure that’s not how his name is spelt), so I’m interested to see how this one ends.

For grammar it was mostly more Verbた conjugation, also went over how to combine that with 後で. I did have to go back and change my answers because I realised partway through the exercises I was typing Verbたり後で. The confusing 掛ける can also be used in the context of 友達に電話を掛ける, where it means to make a phonecall. Not quite sure how this differs from 友達と電話で話す. I think the latter is emphasising the talking which just so happens to be using the phone, and the former is emphasising that a phone will be needed for this action? (Just writing a summary of what I’ve studied for the purpose of putting it in this log is actually really helpful for me getting my thoughts in order.)

I watched a few Comprehensible Japanese videos, translated this NHK Easy article (which I’m quite proud that it took me only a bit over an hour to break down all those sentences, look up words and grammar I don’t know, and turn them into English sentences that don’t sound too clunky), and now I be playing Zelda.

2 Likes

Reviews:
名字 showed up in my reviews. I feel like I cheated getting it right considering I happened across people discussing the difference between this and 氏名 yesterday. At least it didn’t burn.

Another common mistake I make is typing ち instead of し, though I don’t often type し instead of ち. Same with か instead of さ. Those and hitting the wrong uio vowel causes many stupid mistakes. That said, I make about as many legitimate mistakes as stupid ones, so I can’t blame all my leeches on typos.

I got through five lessons, mostly on 寝 vocab. They changed how it works, again, and I really don’t know how to decide how many is a good number to be doing. I put the batch number back up to five and I think I’ll put the daily down to five as well. I can always do more in advanced if I’m feeling particularly masochistic. Or I could set both to 0 and always use the advanced option. That way I could make sure I’m getting through all my vocab instead of it giving me the last kanji needed for leveling up?

Reading:
Finished シュモーハウス. I think I understood most of it, though I might want to look this up for more information.
Started 日本の城. The pictures are definitely pretty, but I’m not really processing what the words mean.

Grammar:
Went over Verbたことがあります。That was the last grammar point of that chapter, so I’m finally ready to move on to verb dictionary forms. (That is, the normal method everywhere else uses.) I think I remember how it works. At the very least, I remember how to conjugate them into ます form and back.

Extra things I did thanks to my trusty D20:
Got through a couple more lines of Unravel with this video by Japanese Ammo with Misa. I like that she is explaining the grammar as it comes up.
I moved onto the final chapter of my Colloquial Japanese textbook. Dictionary form was as easy as expected, and the process of nounifying a verb is easy. I just need to remember that’s what’s happening when I encounter it in reading.

In conclusion, the executive dysfuntion destroying d20 has had a large effect on my productivity since yesterday. I’ll need to reasses in a week/month/year as I am prone to random bursts of productivity that don’t last.

4 Likes

I was far too busy today so I’m did my reviews while watching stuff on YouTube, which predictably did lead to more mistakes. However, I recently installed a leech script and I think, looking at 事情’s level of 50, that perhaps most of those mistakes were gonna happen anyway. Perhaps I should do something about those.

I finished the 日本の城 book, and I don’t think I understood a single photo caption. This one helped me realise I’m relying too much on furigana, as there were a couple times yesterday where I’d mistakenly misread 城 as 白 due to only reading the furigana. Trying to focus on the shape of the kanji helped clear up a bit of confusion on that front.

Part of me feels like I really need to thouroughly read this one several times, another part of me says I should read something different tomorrow or I’ll never get past this one. So, that’s officially all the Level 1 Free Tadoku books finished. I don’t think I’m ready for Level 2. Wish me luck.

5 Likes

Reviews:
With over 100 reviews waiting to be done, I don’t think I’m getting any lessons done today either.
五十音順 is one of my favourites words. Which reminded me of 悪因悪果, a level 55 word I have burned. How did that happen? I’ve quite a few higher level vocab burned. How? I’m guessing from stuff being reordered. Why? I dunno. At least I’ll have a bit of a head start whenever I reach those levels.

Reading:
I read the Lv2 Tadoku book わたしとともだちのほしちゃんとねこのどのちゃん. Since it build up the sentence slowly, I was able to understand it. But if all the Lv2 books have such long sentences without building them up, I will struggle.
I also read つみっこ. This recipe looks almost edible. (I’m such a fussy eater, I know)
I also read the first page of 山田さんの大問題. Already I’m not sure what’s going on with 寝てしまいました。If it was just 寝ていました I would know that’s means “was sleeping” but I’m not sure how this extra しま changes things.

Grammar:
Put 寝てしまいました into ichi.moe and got that 仕舞う「しまう」is a verb. Based on the context in the book, it was probably the “to do accidentally” meaning, so 寝てしまいました is roughly “was accidentally sleeping.” Assuming the phrase was parsed correctly.
Having determined that, I went back to my textbook. That was just more Verb-dicこと form and combining it with previous grammar. 私の夢は日本語を訳すことです。I reckon 訳す is going to be a useful word for me to know, but I don’t officially get the kanji until level 32. And at the rate I’m going at I’d be very surprised if I reached that this year. (alternatively I can just try to remember it by myself so I’ll already know it by the time it shows up on WK)

1 Like

Reviews:
Today I had time for lessons, so I did 3. I think that even if the pace goes down a bit, I’ll get better accuracy than throwing 10/15 lessons on at a time then having to stop because there’s too many apprentice I keep mixing up.
主観:私は主観がたくさんあります。
検査する:私の大きい犬は小さい犬を検査したいです。
観念:私は左右の観念がありません。
I made up sentences because that’s supposed to help me remember, though trying to figure out the appropriate context for that last one was hard, even with the given example sentences.

Reading:
Finished 山田さんの大問題, while there were some more bits I didn’t fully understand, I got oddly invested in this story and didn’t really want to stop to look things up. My timer went off while I on the last page, and I wasn’t going to not finish it.

Grammar:
Studied 前に sentences, which I don’t remember having come across before. I know I must have studied it at some point. Once I’d finished that section I moved onto 出来ます which I have much clearer memory of.

I started reading レンタルおにいちゃん again. I got halfway through this book back when the book club was running, but dropped it. I don’t remember enough specifics of what happened, so I’ve decided to restart it from the beginning.
I was able to read it easier than the confusion of last time, and I read through the book club thread to make sure there wasn’t anything I missed.

I also finished Japanese Ammo with Misa’s video on Unravel. I liked how she went over each bit of grammar as it came up and how the verb conjugations were formed.

I watched another episode of the 空の軌跡 let’s play, which then led me to spend 3 hours making a vocab sheet for the opening scene. I did not get far enough to save :sweat_smile:, but I know I understood a lot more than last time I tried this. I plan to continue this for the entire game, as and when the motivation hits me. If you want to look at the vocab sheet, it is here.

1 Like

So, first thing I did was spending another hour on 空の軌跡, I like how in the starting flashback Estelle uses lots of kana versions of words, but when we come to the present time she’s learnt how to talk in kanji. So proud of her (and glad that’ll reduce my desprate attempts to decode her speech).

Reviews:
I only got 確率 wrong! Usually I get about ten wrong, and I don’t think my reviews were that much less than usual.
姿:私は人の姿を描くことが出来ません。
区域:グランセルの区域は壁があります。
地域:あの地域が行きましょう。
That last one is such a vague sentence… but I like the 区域 sentence I thought of, it should be memorable I hope.
I had time to go through some more of my burned items. That went… less well.

Reading:
The thread for week 3 of 老女的少女ひなたちゃん isn’t up yet, so I’ve left that for later.
I decided to start with something easy, meaning an N5 reading practice book I bought at some point. There are a few speedbumps but overall I’m feeling pretty good about how smoothly I can read pieces.
I’m not sure who decided to put so many words in kana, but at least they have spaces between words so it’s not completely kana soup.

Grammar:
I finished my textbook! All that was left was translating a postcard. There are a lot of notes in the back of the book I might go through. Lists of counters and verb conjugations and stuff. Instead I’ve decided to practise some writing:
私の犬は散歩したいですが、今氷が降っています。大変ですね!多分一時間の後で天気はまだ晴れなります。今私と犬は待っています。あ、書くことの中で氷を止まります。速く散歩しましょう!

I spent an hour carefully going over the back pages of my grammar textbook. It’s more a summary of everything earlier in the book. I also found out there are an extra two units of the textbook online, which would explain why I never came across any “if” grammar despite vaguely remembering having covered that.

I also spent a ridiculous amount of time going over this week’s 老女的少女ひなたちゃん pages. First a once over to see what I can get, then going through with the vocab sheet for all those pesky words, and then trying to figure out how to ask questions.

Read a little more にゃんにゃん探偵団 as well. I know if I’m struggling with these nice, easy books, I’ll drown in 薬屋のひとりがと. Knowing that doesn’t make the temptation less strong. I’ve told my self I have to finish one of the books I already started before I get into that, but we’ll see if that holds up.

3 Likes

First of all, I’d like to send you some hugs. I’m always appalled by the stories of how schools and universities treat neurodivergent people.

Second of all, Betty is adorable!

I didn’t know jpdb.io, it seems quite interesting, I’m bookmarking it!

Don’t feel like you have to do your reviews several times a day, if you are able to do them once a day that’s already a lot to be proud of!

頑張って!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Even though I am in the middle of a productivity high, I’m still only doing wanikani once a day. I’ve been spending my productiveness on other things. But I keep giving myself headaches and then I have to stop studying until the headache goes away but all I wanna do right now is study.

I’ve got to interact with friends later and I’m not sure I’m gonna be able to concentrate on that XD I’ve got almost three hours until then, which should be enough time to drag myself out of bed and feed myself and my dog and get through all my ticky boxes. But I’ve been lying here for an hour already and not moved so we’ll see if that happens.

1 Like

It seems the disadvante of mostly doing reviews in the morning but occasionally doing them in the evening is that the next morning is fake easy but the morning after there’re a load of reviews built up. (Or, well, over a hundred.)
I know 行列, I swear. But I keep getting the readings for 列 and 例 mixed up. れい is also the reading for “bow” I think, I need to remember something like if there’s no leader nobody is bowing so there is no れい.
Uh oh that was a level up email wasn’t it? Oh well I knew it was coming. At least I can no longer see the avalanche of new lessons.
I got 禅僧 right, which is a relief. I normally think of the meaning then say to myself that I always get the meaning wrong and change it to a wrong answer. Today I remembered I do that and stuck with my original correct answer.
If 認める and 務める could stop looking familiar, it would be much appreciated.
I do like when many kanji come together to make one big kanji word, like 留守番電話.
Right, I’m done. I’ve still got like 25 reviews left and I haven’t touched my new lessons. But that’s enough wanikani for today.

I read お母さんヘンシン today. The first page already was confusion. I didn’t have enough context yet to decipher the unknown words… Second page it seems Maria-san has some kind of time-blindness? I think I’ve figured out 遅刻する means to be late. Hooray for context! And well done to Maria-san for figuring out something that works for her, even if the book doesn’t actually explain how she magically stopped being late. Or, not early enough? There were a couple parts were it felt like she was being lectured even though she was on time because she was meant to be early? But no one told her that beforehand? I empathise with this woman a lot.

1 Like

Ugh, motivation who?

Wanikani
Reading
Grammar
jpdb

Combined wanikani reviews/lessons so I don’t feel bad about skipping boxes when I just ran out of time.

I’m watching anime before I start any studying today and none of you can stop me.

2 Likes

Hiii! I am also autistic and from the UK!

Thank you for paying the pet tax, Betty is a cutie!!

Followed you on Natively :slight_smile: You have read a lot!

Read a chapter of a manga or book

For an actual manga that isn’t designed for children or leaners of Japanese, this one is so funny:

The grammar + vocab are very much ok, it’s super funny and rather heart warming too

4 Likes

It only looks that way because they’re such short “books” :sweat_smile: Thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

Oh! What’s your flow for reading? Do you just read raw and lookup manually, or do you use something like Mokuro? I am a bit of a geek and like learning about learning :cat:

I don’t have any browser extensions to help me if that’s what you’re asking?

For all the quick Tadoku books I read without looking anything up, except sometimes when there’s a word in the title I wasn’t able to figure out even after I finished it.

For book club stuff (including stuff from previous book clubs I’m attempting) I read through the pages once without looking things up, then read the pages again with the vocab sheet to help me.

The most intensive thing I’m “reading” is 空の軌跡, which is technically a game but there’s enough text for it to count as reading. If that I’m looking up everything, which has made me quite adept with jisho.org’s radical kanji lookup thing. However it is very slow going.

I probably need a step in between, but I haven’t really started reading anything of my own choosing yet so I’ll build that bridge when I get there.

3 Likes

WK:
Just about made it through my reviews. I’ve only got a few tomorrow so as long as I don’t struggle horribly I should be able to move onto new lessons.

Reading:
I just read through a bit more of my N5 practice book. The paragraphs are short and explained and I’m not feeling up for something more complicated today.

Grammar:
Looking over the list of particles I’ve studied counts as grammar practice, right? I was able to make note that the に in 一緒に is weird because normally when you do things with a person you give them a と particle. I can figure out the why later.

1 Like

I hate 念願 and whatever the other one is. I always get the meaning’s for them either wrong or swapped.
Finally I’ve completed my reviews and recent mistakes and have time to do lessons. Double check my apprentice just in case… I’m down to just 19 XD perhaps this was all just the master/enlightened stuff coming back around and now I have plenty of time for more lessons. OR I could leave it low and just have very few reviews for a while. That sounds smarter.

Now, the automatic lesson picker wants to give me radicals and kanji, but I’d rather get through my Lv22 vocab first. Which means I get to pick my lessons! I chose two I vaguely recognise and one I already know.
伝統:私の伝統は毎夏伯母さんの町へ行きます。
お手洗い:お手洗いはトレイの部屋ですね。
有り難う:誕生日プレゼント、有り難うございます!

I did another 15 minutes of reviews, but I’m really not sure with how to deal with my leeches on here. Things like きっと and ずっと and stuff I get confused. There’s no easy way to see my leeches that I can tell, but I do see the same hiragana words and I say the meaning out loud and it’s still wrong. So I know they are leeches. (Since I can’t type in the answer, speaking out loud is my way of choosing an answer where I can’t look at the answer and pretend I was thinking that. If I didn’t say it, I clearly didn’t know it.)

I’ve decided to start one of the free bookwalker manga I picked up. It is チョコっとちょこちゃん. It’s… aright. Not the kind of book I’d read if it wasn’t for how low the level is.
More importantly, I finally figureout out I can sort bookwalker by 読みかけ which will just get more useful as I get more books.

1 Like