Reasoning behind level group names?

(sweating), if I have started burning during Painful, do I have a better chance, statistically, of not quitting?

I seriously study about 4 hours a day (okay, I count about 2 hours of watching anime as studying, tee hee. I do watch it without subtitles sometimes, at least.)
FYI: I am relearning Japanese, so I have a foundation in grammar, which I learned in college, many, many years ago. I was never good at memorizingg kanji, so being able to read is an exciting new development!

1 Like

Same story here, studied Japanese 10 years ago. I am focusing on kanji now, the grammar is still good enough to understand what’s going on. So it’s just about the vocabulary and kanji for me.

The first 15 levels were a breeze, hardly any new words, I knew many of them already; then it became interesting and then from level 24 on frustrating. XD
Damn, so many leeches and mixing up and “I knew that one a long time ago”. But I can now read Japanese manga again without much looking up, so if you already started with watching anime, it will keep you motivated. I would also suggest some mild reading, so you do not only hear vocabulary, but also see kanjis and maybe become friends with some. The good thing is, the more kanji you learn, the more you recognize them in the wild and that really makes me want to continue.

4 Likes

Now, why isn’t this your username??

3 Likes

I thought in Paraside you are proud of yourself after all this hard work done. Then you’re hit by Reality: Nope, you are still not that good, and there is still much to learn. Even if you’re done with Wanikani, you’ll never be done with Japanese. Hell and Paradise do not exist, and Death was fake. Good luck with the wicked Reality :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

That’s good and scary to hear. I’m already learning lots of new words at level 18-- lots of formal words I never learned, and synonyms for words, so maybe I’m already past “interesting.” Anyway, thanks for your words of encouragement.
Now that I think about it, when I learned Japanese in school, we only ever learned the most conversational synonym. I now know way more words for “friend” (or something similar) than I thought would exist!

I’m planning to join one of the Wani Kani Forum book clubs coming up. Such a good idea! Shared dictionary work should make it way more pleasant. It took me a number of years to read the last Japanese book I read, on account of constantly having to look up words.

2 Likes

I always figured the group names were a reference to Divina Comedia and Dantes’ portrayal of the path through hell to heaven - with a twist. :thinking:

3 Likes

According to this diagram from this thread, there seems to be a significant dropoff at arround 21 - 25:

Yeah, I’m feeling the pressure right now, I’m almost 24 and my accuracy went a good chunk down.

3 Likes

Ah, it’s long been believed that there was a sharp drop off around that range, but there was a more recent thread somewhere which looked at the stats in more detail, and found the drop wasn’t all that statistically significant. I’m completely failing to find that thread in the search right now, though…

4 Likes

If you’re thinking of my scrape of the forums then that graph actually seems to come from there

4 Likes

What? I don’t see a drop off in the 21-25 range…

There is though. It drops almost 50%

1 Like

Ah.
Well, wish me luck. I just reached level 21 today.

1 Like

I’m currently level 28 and I’ve definitely been struggling more and more recently. All those old leeches piling up, plus more and more weird abstract meanings.

1 Like

Yeah, but, it drops almost 50% across any randomly-selected range of five levels. Except for 1-5.

4 Likes

That’s quite a shock to know. o_o But, I guess, at that point you do know your way around simpler manga etc. You can already make some use of your knowledge. So, perhaps for some people, that’s enough (for now). :thinking:

Just saw @Belthazar 's reply. So, I guess, it’s just a matter of perseverance? :thinking:

2 Likes

Not saying it means anything, just noting that it’s there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh man if the 20-30 range is considered hell, I’m at level 12 and studying still makes me unbelievably tired, (100 reviews a day is a bit overwhelming when you have CFS) So I’ll probably be screwed. I’m trying grammar lessons via Tae Kim but none of them seem to make sense in my brain so far. But I’m at least glad to know I’m not the only one who goes “oh bloody hell” when enlightened items want their time in the crabigator burn machine.

At the very least I have Japanese being part of my life’s dream so I’m unlikely to quit just thanks to that.

2 Likes

I don’t know what CFS is but I have ADHD and it is incredibly hard past lvl 20. But like you going to Japan and reading original manga is one of my life dreams.

For tools, I put off creating a schedule for a long time but now I’ve finally broke and am making one to help me along. So far, the plan is to do NO MORE than 20 lessons a day(no matter what) and also aim to do AT LEAST 40 reviews every day but aim for 200. Well see… It seems the less lessons and more reviews you do the better the flow.

1 Like

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.