Reasonable translation?

Trying to say ‘the impossible became possible’ -

Would the following be acceptable ?

不可能は可能になった

Thoughts appreciated

D

4 Likes

I think maybe 不可能は可能になった would work better.
The phrase “the impossible became possible” has a hidden element which is implied in English “the impossible [things] became possible”

12 Likes

I dont think this is grammatically correct and OPs sounds better to me. 不可能 is a na adjective.

If you want to make it natural, 不可能を可能にする is the natural way of saying this imo. You would have to specify what made the impossible possible in that case. If there was nothing you wanted to specify (which seems to be the case), then I guess OPs sounds best to me.

EDIT: I just realized OP used は. I would use が but は is not technically wrong…probably?

8 Likes

Then perhaps 不可能は可能になった? (Honestly, just guessing based on studying grammar at BunPro, but could easily be wrong!)

Yeah, this is grammatically correct to my knowledge, but not natural to me. I still stand by 不可能が可能になった being the best if youre not going to specify the cause and 〇〇が不可能を可能にした if you do want to specify the cause.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

Doesn’t にした mean ‘I’ve decided upon’ usually? Again, question just based on my (beginner, so far) grammar studies.

Hmmm, yes. 〇〇(こと)にする does mean decide on, but that’s part of the more general idea of making something so.

Making up a sentence of the top of my head because I’m about to go to bed

今日の服はこれにしたの

Means I decided on this for what to wear to day. But phrased another way, you could say that you made today’s clothes be this. Whenever you make something something in Japanese, typically you use にする. Be that making something your decision, or literally making something into something.

If you have ever heard 静かにして it comes from the command asking people to make (themselves) quiet 静かにする

きれいにする means to make clean. Why? Because youre making it pretty… basically.

3 Likes

AをBにする is “to make A into B”.

There are a variety of grammar points that involve にする

3 Likes

I felt uncertain if one could use (不)可能 for “the (im)possible”, or if one needed to add something (like 不可能な事 or the like), so I tried doing an example sentence search for “the impossible possible”, and got the following:

Tom’s trying to make the impossible possible.
トムは不可能を可能にしようとしている。

Tom is a man who makes the impossible possible.
トムは不可能を可能にする男だ。

Based on this, I think your translation probably makes sense; it’s quite similar to the first sentence, only without the causative.

(These example sentences are both from Tatoeba, and are thus crowdsourced. but the person who added them appears to be an advanced/native speaker, and is a Tatoeba corpus maintainer.)

2 Likes

I’d say that the なの version only feels appropriate for a specific case of ‘something impossible’ becoming possible, and even then, it doesn’t come naturally to me.

As for the reason why 不可能が可能になった feels better… I’d suggest it’s got to do with symmetry/similarity. We’re looking at ‘the impossible became possible’, so we’d like to preserve that sense of one thing becoming another of a similar type i.e. AがBになる, with A and B being words from the same category. That gives it a nicer ring (語呂=ごろ in Japanese). Also, 不可能 refers to the concept of impossibility or the state of being impossible, which is exactly what we’re looking for here – a general concept/label for things that are impossible.

1 Like

I feel like for a general saying, it definitely sounds better without the nano like you said.

With that being said, I don’t think I have any problem with slapping on something to the fukanou despite disturbing the balance. It just feels weird for it to be a no.

不可能なこと sounds ok in some situations honestly. Because like if you just want to specify that previously impossible things are becoming possible, for example, it doesn’t feel weird to specify that.

As for why it feels better with koto over no and why it only works for some situations in my opinion, I have no idea. My japanese grammar knowledge is inversely proportional to how hard I think about it. I googled it though and the things that sound right to me have significantly more results than the things that sound weird which either have no or extremely few results…so it might be worth looking into. If you’re that curious that is.

Regardless, for what OP is looking for I stand by my answer lol

4 Likes