Reading Vol. 15・ゆるキャン△・ Laid-Back Camp 🏕 (Beginner Book Club)

Aye, that still falls until the same umbrella that’s preventing me from doing the usual time.

1 Like

Yeah damn, 24h after that, so 2020-06-21T08:20:00Z

2 Likes

Got book 1 and 2!

16 Likes

Caught up!!!

Man, this one was a bit harder than Flying Witch

16 Likes

Is this how you read?

8 Likes

I went to Kinokiniya today, intending to get volumes two and three (planning ahead!), but tragically they only had two and four (and six, seven and eight), but in a fit of combined optimism and pessimism, I went ahead and got both.

And also the Yuru Camp Anthology volume one. Haven’t unwrapped it yet to see what it’s like. And also volume eight in English. :smiley:

Ah, I was going to see if I could find a copy of Mono. Curses…

7 Likes

Volume 3 was also missing at Book off. I wonder…
but nah, we can’t blame that on the book club.

9 Likes

Read volume eight last night. Love it much. The translators notes pointed out that Saito’s dog is named チクワ because it literally resembles チワワ. I… can’t believe I never noticed that before. Whether or not it’s actually true.

(My minor feeling of “well, I have to hand it to you” was slightly unravelled by the very next page referring to 西洋わさび as “wasabi from the west”, and that it doesn’t taste quite like real wasabi because of all the additives. Hah, no. 西洋わさび is horseradish. It doesn’t taste quite like real wasabi because it’s horseradish. (At least, I assume it’s 西洋わさび - I haven’t read it in Japanese… yet?)

3 Likes

I thought it was because it literally looks like 竹輪, though. I need to check the anime or something, but I have the image that it looks like a tube, white in the middle and brown at the extremities… :thinking:
Edit: like the middle image here; very 竹輪-like

1 Like

Oh yeah, he’s named for chikuwa. I do rather think that チクワ resembles チワワ a lot more than 竹輪 resembles Chikuwa, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You mean… in terms of how characters look like each other? Then, yes, I guess?

2 Likes

FYI Kindle versions of ゆるキャン△ volumes 1, 2, and 3 are on sale for ¥77 right now.

5 Likes

This feels like as good a time as any to ask whether people would be keen to keep reading volume 3 too :slightly_smiling_face:

• I don’t want to continue past volume 2
  • I’m keen to read volume 3 starting 5th September
  • I’m keen to read volume 3 starting 26th September

0 voters

5th September is one week after volume two ends (five weeks from now), while 26th September is eight weeks from now, to give plenty of time for shipping.

8 Likes

I voted September 26th mostly cause I am trying to catch up with Kiki (delayed shipping) and that is taking a lot more effort than I anticipated. I see the majority prefer September 5th, which is also ok by me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I feel pretty bad towards the three people who would prefer to wait until later in September :grimacing: I should really have learnt by now to set these polls up in a better way :thinking:

But I think given how huge the majority is voting for the 5th, the 5th it shall have to be.

@Naphthalene are you happy to continue doing the weekly upkeep, or would you like somebody else to take that over? I can make the thread this weekend.

8 Likes

Sure! It’s not that much, compared to the other book clubs I have to manage. Thank you for making the threads themselves (especially typing the schedule), that’s honestly most of the heavy lifting.

4 Likes

Now that I’ve voted to start in early September, I probably should make sure I can actually get the book by then. Last time I checked Kinokuniya, they were clean out. Of everything Yuru Camp.

I think. It’s sometimes hard to tell - the manga section is supposed to be in English alphabetical order by the title of the manga (in Japanese), but they’ve got YA and YU and YO all over the place.

6 Likes

Same at book off, I had to order a new copy :frowning:

4 Likes

I get totally lost in there. I always have to end up asking where something is.

2 Likes

Is it obnoxious to post this in the current off-shoot clubs as well? I’m too tired to judge, so let me know if you think this is overkill :stuck_out_tongue:

I was thinking it might make sense to be a little more targeted about our voting, so…

Just in case anybody isn’t aware, the Beginner Book Club are currently voting on our next pick! If you’re interested in taking part, make sure you vote:

7 Likes