Reading Vol. 12・ふらいんぐうぃっち・Flying Witch (Beginner Book Club) 🧹

How true to the manga is the anime? Would watching parallel to reading work?

1 Like

I asked the staff in four other bookshops where I could find one of them books for getting station stamps in, and each time I got a “sorry, no”. When I walked into this shop, they were sitting right at the front. Having trouble shaking the thought that their response was actually “yeah, we’ve got them, but it’s too hard to describe where they are to the gaijin, so I’m just gonna say no”.

5 Likes

It follows it pretty closely, I think. There was a fairly large lapse in time between when I watched the anime (with subtitles) and when I read the manga (in English), so I can’t say there aren’t any differences, but I don’t remember being surprised by anything in the manga.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know there was an actual book for this! I just collect all the stamps (from stations, museums, castles, etc) in a random notebook. Sucks about them not taking the time to try to help you though :frowning:

2 Likes

It’s very true but I think the chapters are in a slightly different order, so you’d have to do some finagling to watch the right thing at the right time. I’ll check the order this evening.

3 Likes

index

They’ve got space on each page to write the date and notes and stuff.

Yeah, I’m a little perplexed at how hard it was to find, considering in 2017 it only took me one attempt, and in 2018 it took me two. Really, I should have asked where the train timetables were, and the book I wanted would have been somewhere nearby. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@jaearess @Radish8

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll give reading/watching parallel a try. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hold on to your broomsticks, we’re starting tomorrow! :broom:

8 Likes

I might have started today when I went to check out the page numbers. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Shiiit, my copy hasn’t arrived yet :sob: I guess I’ll start reading it online for now.

3 Likes

I’m actually on page 50 but I don’t understand everything :laughing:

Question: What is parallel you guys have been talking about? Is parallel an ebook reading software? :thinking: A googling brought me to 少年マンガ Parallel

2 Likes

Watching the anime (which I’m lead to believe is ordered a bit differently, but the same narrative) while reading the manga. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I see.

“Same”
As in, I haven’t bought it yet :stuck_out_tongue:
But I just read this week’s part through kodansha’s preview.

5 Likes

If anyone can produce one, I wouldn’t mind a list of episodes and which chapters they cover. I have the series on DVD but haven’t watched it yet, and would love to try watching episodes in Japanese without English subtitles after reading some chapters, but I’d rather not “watch ahead” of the manga material.

Otherwise, I’ll just wait until after we reach the end of the volume, then watch =)

2 Likes

The comparison is on Wikipedia, in the table of anime episodes. For example, first episode covers the first two chapters. The second episode covers chapters 5 and 7(so the second episode is already beyond the content of the first book :stuck_out_tongue: ), third episode covers 3 and 6… looks like a bit of a mess.

8 Likes

So, yeah, episodes 1-5 cover the story of the first book, but also half of volume 2. You can minimize the damage to only the first chapter of volume 2 by skipping episode 4, though.
Still

Except for the first episode, you have almost no other choice.

5 Likes

Thanks for the information, @Naphthalene! It’s a bit disappointing, but I can live with it. I may decide after volume 1 whether I want to read volume 2 in Japanese, or just watch the anime and that’s that (plus potentially read the comics in English).

I’ll just tell myself I don’t have time to watch anime with all the manga I’m reading =D

6 Likes

Amazingly my copy arrived—two weeks late :unamused:. But I’m ready! がんばろう! :broom::star2:

5 Likes

WE ARE GO!

13 Likes