Reading Vol. 12・ふらいんぐうぃっち・Flying Witch (Beginner Book Club) 🧹

EDIT: It’s February 15th in Japan, time to create weekly thread, and update the main thread title?
(Discourse does not let me to create third consecutive reply, forcing to edit the previous one. Oh boy, feeling like a stalker)

I’ve finished typing out text for Chapter 7 into vocal spreadsheet. I’ve also added unique list of kanji (149) from that chapter, and hyperlinked them to WaniKani page ( in a separate sheet). There should be typos of course (that furigana is awfully small), the kanji list is in no particular order. I’m not going to proceed entering text for the next chapter until I translate this one, so it may not happen in time.

6 Likes

Hello everyone, I am coming back to wanikani after taking a very long break ;; and want to join this book club!! I just got volume 1 so will try read fast to catch up ^^

6 Likes

Welcome back to WaniKani! Good luck with volume one :triumph:

1 Like

We are go for Volume 2!

10 Likes

I will be a joining a bit later, unfortunately. :sob: But looking forward to start reading volume 2 sometime in a couple of days. :blush:

6 Likes

I’ll be joining a bit later too, I went on a 1 week vacation and now I have a lot of catching up to do. Have fun guys, I’ll probably be joining next week if all goes well :grin:

4 Likes

We march ever onwards:

11 Likes

Third chapter already!

7 Likes

DEFINITELY NOT LATE, I DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT

It’s still the 7th here

11 Likes

Poll time!

Do you want to continue with reading volume 3 as a club?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

When do you want to start (bearing in mind people might need to buy the next volume)?

• 4th April (one week after finishing volume 2)
  • 18th April (five weeks after confirming volume 3, one week before BBC pick starts)
  • 25th April (six weeks after confirming volume 3)
  • 2nd May (seven weeks after confirming volume 3, one week after BBC pick starts)

0 voters

Do you want to continue using separate discussion threads for each chapter?

• Have a fresh discussion thread for each chapter
  • Have one discussion thread for the whole volume (with weekly chapter start reminders)

0 voters

Penultimate chapter of volume 2!

4 Likes

Okay, we will be continuing with volume 3, starting on the 4th of April!

I will make one discussion thread for the volume, and post ‘week start’ reminders :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not totally confident that my copy will arrive in time, but I’m going to boldly assume that there are six chapters, and we’ll definitely start with the first :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you planning to read ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 3 with us?

• Jawohl :broom:
  • Nope, just here for the clicks

0 voters

1 Like

What is jawohl? :sweat_smile: (I clicked it as “yes”, but not entirely sure if that’s what it means)

1 Like

:ballot_box_with_check: Maybe?

I mean, I wasn’t planning to read volume two, until I discovered I’d already purchased it unconsciously.

It’s ja, but more so. :slightly_smiling_face: (Which is to say, “yes” in German.)

4 Likes

Sorry, I was making so many polls I felt the need to spice it up :sweat_smile: what Belthazar said - it has a kind of “of course” or “certainly” angle to it.

5 Likes

For me (being German :eyes:) it has a bit of a siryessir! military sound to me, but maybe it’s just me :joy_cat:

6 Likes

Oh no, that connotation has carried over to the English usage :slightly_smiling_face: not quite so intense as that, but has that kind of “certainly sir!” feeling.

Also it’s not that embedded in the language tbh :sweat_smile: I think I’ve only ever heard my uncle and my current manager use it in person, apart from myself…

2 Likes

Hah, interesting! Languages are so amazing…

To be clear, I found your use of it to be perfect, when applied with a mocking intonation (and if you want it to be really strong, maybe even with a mocking military-salute-like hand movement) :blush:

4 Likes

I’d like to imagine everybody saluting with the broom :grin:

10 Likes

I want to but got so behind on the other book … and added a second instructor on italki… one of the pro teachers…(after the first hour he realized I knew more than he thought so we went through several chapters in the first proper lesson)…now I somehow have 5 chapters of homework that has to be turned in this week… hehe

it’s not bad it’s easy stuff, but about 65 pages worth… lol

So I had to give up spending time slogging through the misty valley…just too much misty hiragana for me :wink: which kept me from diving into Vol2 of witchiness … So jealous of the new book club offerings too…I really wanna participate but I don’t have any time …thankfully these threads stay around!

5 Likes