Reading Vol. 11・ふらいんぐうぃっち・Flying Witch (Beginner Book Club) 🧹

I’m so in.

9 Likes

How necessary is it to have read volume 1?

Volume one introduces the characters and setting, but otherwise there’s not too much in the second volume that relies on plot elements from the first.

1 Like

If you have access to the anime, I think the first 3 episodes + the 5th cover the content of the first volume and a little bit of the first chapter of the second volume, so that could be an easy way to catch up.

Edit: skip ep 4! Also some random editor on Wikipedia decided to remove the correspondance between anime episodes and manga chapters. I had to hunt it down in the edits (although it might have just been moved somewhere else, I just couldn’t find it)

4 Likes

Actually I think you want just the first three episodes. You’ll miss one chapter of volume 1 and gain one chapter from volume 2, but episode four is solidly volume 2 chapters so definitely don’t watch that! Otherwise it’s pretty solid.

Drat, you edited :grin:

6 Likes

As we’re two weeks away from starting Volume Two, I thought it might be useful to get an idea of how many people are planning to join in.

Are you planning to read ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 2 with us?

• I am indeedy
  • No, but I like to clicky clicky

0 voters

6 Likes

I haven’t decided yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll keep the poll open at least until we have your click one way or the other :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll just vote yes. I already have a free copy so I might as well. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Want to… But still on page 51 of the other book…it’s been a really bad couple of weeks… Feels like I am in too far into this book now to give up… So I’ll read this, but we’ll have to be my next book when I finish the evil one full of hiragana that’s slowly killing me. :wink:

5 Likes

I already read it, but I’ll probably lurk.

5 Likes

Lurkers always welcome :wink:

3 Likes

My books are sadly still in Japan and I won’t be back until April, so I won’t be able to read volume 2 with you guys.

DDDDDDD:

Maybe you could watch the appropriate episodes of the anime just to be able to comment on the story :grin:

Maybe! But I’ll be able to catch up and be ready for volume 3 if enough people are interested in continuing this series. :blush:

5 Likes

Finished volume 1 today! So I’m all caught up and super excited to start the second volume! :sparkles: :dancer:

Question: what age group is this manga generally recommended for? It was my first book that didn’t feel as specifically aimed at really young children, and (except for the dad’s speech bubbles) I got through it just fine with the furigana and my dictionary (can’t wait to get further along on WK to be less reliant on furigana).

It felt like a really good stepping stone to the Beginner Book Club, and I’ll be trying some of the other previously read titles too, if any of them are around a similar level. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice work! Glad to have you with us for volume 2 :blush: if you’re looking at other past BBC manga picks, I’d probably take a look at Aria and Girls’ Last Tour. Of the other manga we’ve done they’re probably the closest in difficulty (Girls’ Last Tour doesn’t have furigana, but the vocab sheet should help you out there).

3 Likes

Thank you for the recommendations! I’ll definitely check those out :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was originally published in Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine - as you might be able to tell from the name, that’s a shonen magazine, which means the target audience is teenage boys. It really doesn’t feel like your typical shonen manga, though (and it shares its magazine with series like Attack on Titan, UQ Holder and Shin Sekai Yori…)

3 Likes

Oh thank you for that info! I’ll have a nosey around the shonen (and maybe shojo?) categories on Amazon later. :slight_smile:

(I’d have thought this book would be aimed at 12 year old girls, rather than 12 year old boys though :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes