Reading Vol. 12・ふらいんぐうぃっち・Flying Witch (Beginner Book Club) 🧹

Chapter 3 is here :slightly_smiling_face:

This has some strong dialect from the cousins’ father, but half the point is that Makoto has no clue what he’s saying either, so I wouldn’t stress over trying to decipher it.

5 Likes

I’m gonna do it anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

50% of the words are either straight Japanese (e.g. 裏 ある 使えば 草 シャベル) or slightly modified prononciations (e.g. 家ー>え 畑ー>はだけ あそこ ー> あそご なんでー> はんで)
With the context, it’s somewhat understandable. It’s interesting to check against the translation from 千夏 too :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What is this? Is it like a dictionary or something? Sorry if its a stupid question… I haven’t caught up yet and am also very much a new reader in general :slight_smile:

2 Likes

千夏 (Chinatsu) is the name of the younger sister =)

4 Likes

Might be helpful to have a quick look at this :slight_smile: character names are always super confusing if you don’t realise what you’re looking at.

4 Likes

@ChristopherFritz Oh I just remembered who she was now after reading @Radish8 's character list! I had a final test today so couldn’t read yesterday but going to catch up now soon :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Here is a fun thing:

Locations from “Flying Witch” on Google Maps

You don’t get satellite view or street view from this interface, but the person who put it together has a blog with scenes from the manga/anime and photos. Will be very spoilery, so I don’t plan to look through them right now.

For the Google Maps, it looks like when you select a location (seems to be mostly for volume two of the manga and some episodes of the anime?), you can click on the image on the left to see the media art and a photo. Helps to zero in on scenes we’ve already encountered.

10 Likes

Weeeeeeek 5!

8 Likes

Penultimate week :open_mouth:

10 Likes

… or not, if we keep reading the series as an offshoot :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

That’s a funny way to spell “when”.

8 Likes

:joy: I already own volume 2 from back when I first read it. Is there enough interest though? I don’t think it’s worth continuing if only a couple of people want to - Aria worked well because there was quite a substantial group I can’t believe I’m going to miss it all :sob:. Perhaps it’s poll time :wink:

9 Likes

IT’S ALWAYS POLL TIME!

Ahem.

Yes, I think it would be nice to make sure. In fact, we will probably need to put some break to make sure people have time to get the next book(s).

9 Likes

My suggestion for a poll of Aria readers:

After finishing Aria, what will you read?

• Flying Witch with the book club.
  • Flying Witch alongside the book club.
  • Flying Witch utilizing the book club.
  • Flying Witch after catching up on volume one.

That should help with readership count =D

Edit: At the very least, we’ll get a single thread for discussion of unscheduled reading of the series.

3 Likes

Indeed, and it would probably be good to get into the next pick a bit before starting something new. I actually think a new year start might work well, or

:wink: but of course this is prime poll material too.

I’ll gauge interest when I put up the final week’s discussion thread :+1:

4 Likes

I’d love to keep reding it! I was already thinking of ordering vol 2 this upcoming week, so I’m definitely in if you guys are doing this :grin:

3 Likes

I ordered the whole set when I ordered vol 1… but I’m so slow at reading, I don’t think I can do everything else and read vol 2 and the next book (which looked daunting - maybe it’s not that hard…have to find out)…at the same time.

I would love to keep reading but I’d have to probably not jump into the next book … Oh so much to read so little time! If only I was fluent already…

3 Likes

Waiting until the new year for continuing Flying Witch (as an offshoot club) does have a few advantages:

• Gives time to buy the final seven second volumes for those reading physical.
  • We’ll be a few weeks into 「ふしぎな町」, so everyone will have an idea of whether they can handle more Flying Witch on top of that.
  • I didn’t check on overlap between Aria readers and Flying Witch readers, but it looks like Aria wraps up on in the latter half of January.
  • Many people may be preoccupied with larger holiday celebrations in December.
7 Likes

Your first real book will always be hard at first. Just stick with it and ask questions and it’ll be a great learning experience. :slight_smile:

10 Likes