Reading "one thousand" for 千 is red flagged

I’m not following your reasoning at all.

“It is not a matter of Japanese, but of English”

It actually is a matter of Japanese, as the translation is attempting to produce the closest meaning possible to what it is in JAPANESE. As you pointed out in your original post, no one says “three one thousand,” so 千, which is included in all forms of thousands 三千 included would be “three thousand.” Yes, 千円 is appropriate because that is the meaning of 千円, not 千. If I say “a hundred dollars,” you would understand that as “one hundred dollars,” correct? And yet, there is no confusion if I say “two hundred dollars” nor do you expect me to say “two one hundred” or “two a hundred” dollars.

You are justifying a specific translation for an umbrella term, which is quite backward logically. And why not complain about 百, which, from what I see, only allows “Hundred” as a kanji. Unlike 千, where 一千 is actually very common (I’ve had employees at my local supermarket say 一千円).

I think the basic flaw of your argument is the following:

“The problem has nothing to do with Japanese but with English which says
’one hundred’ and ‘one thousand’ where everybody else will use these
powers of ten without ‘one’ to express that there is only one.”

This is not entirely true, as it is completely fine and common to say “a hundred” or “a thousand.” Seeing as the articles “a,” “an,” and “the” do not translate to Japanese, that would be the exact translation. When dealing with multiples, we also say “thousands,” not “one thousands,” further denying this claim. There is actually no problem on the side of English syntax, rather your understanding of it.

As further proof, pop “If I Had” into your search bar and enjoy as “a million dollars” appears, not “one million dollars.” I hope this helps!

2 Likes

I don’t understand why this is important, whole discussion seems pointless to me…

9 Likes

No one says, “I have hundred dollars.” unless you are a robot or a native Japanese person speaking English. You have to have the “a” to signify it is one. Plurality is baked into English while barely existing in Japanese.

Also saying, “two one thousands” reminds me of the old timey way to say numbers like, “five and sixty” for 65.

This seems pretty straightforward to me.

Think about the fact that in most possible cases, the kanji is going to be used in a context where it is referring to “thousand” rather than “one thousand”.

For instance, every use case starting from 二千 up uses the “thousand” translation, so it actually makes a lot more sense to think about it in that way.

You may be right that when seeing that kanji on its own, we should read it is “one thousand”, but that is not the point and not how the site works for, as far as I’m aware WaniKani just attempts to teach you the most common or useful definition/reading, which in this case is definitely the given one.

If it really is a big issue for you, then add a synonym as another user already suggested.

1 Like

Omg, I was so confused from reading OPs post, I thought they were complaining that 千 has one thousand as the answer on wanikani, and that should be wrong because people dont say 三千 thee one thousand.

So now I understand they are mad about one thousand not being accepted as an answer?

Lol what, just add a synonym. also, if it is the kanji 千 then one thousand is 100% wrong, if its the word then its okay I think.

4 Likes

I completely agree.

You obviously do not live where I do XD
"I got hunned bucks" is probably the most common way to say “I have one hundred dollars”

1 Like

Are you suuuuuuure they don’t say like, “I gotta hunned bucks.”

or

" I got uh hunned bucks."

lol

1 Like

I might say “three one thousand” if I was counting seconds “one one thousand two one thousand…”

1 Like

Spanish is also the same.

Ciento cincuenta y tres.
Un millón, doscientos mil.

Seems like we’re a family after all :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.