Reading of パス練

Hey everybody,
I stumbled upon the sentence パス練からだって. It’s from a manga and they are talking about soccer. What reading of 練 is correct in this context? I considered パス練 as a compound and read it as pasuren, but another person said it’s pasuneri. Is there a rule for expressions like this, where katakana loan words and kanji are mixed?
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, who told you it was ねり?

That strikes me as a strange way to read it, because even though 練る can mean “to practice” and some words like 練塀 feature that character read as ねり without okurigana, it’s not that common of a verb to use for practice. Not relative to how 練習 gets used.

So without furigana it wouldn’t even occur to me to say ねり.

It was just a random person on Instagram. :smile::v:That’s why I’m skeptical but I couldn’t find any other compounds like this, and I don’t know if there are rules or tendencies which reading to use in cases like that.

I don’t know about rules per se, but I would always start from the assumption it’s an abbreviation. And the natural way to talk about practice is 練習, so I would just assume that got chopped down to just れん.

As I said, unless there was furigana to suggest otherwise.

5 Likes

I second leebo’s answer. I’d read it “ren” as well.

1 Like

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

When I got home I asked my girlfriend and she also said it would be パスれん and that she wouldn’t even consider ねり a possibility. She’s a native speaker.

2 Likes

Hey thanks again, I had the chance to ask some Japanese people too, and they told me the same. When I asked the person who suggested ねり as a reading he answered that there was only one kanji and therefore it should be read as onyomi. :confused: I wished some people would at least check their answers before they start confidently spreading wrong information.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.